It's about time this started to happen. Switzerland have passed a law that lobsters have to be stunned, before they are cooked.
https://www.rte.ie/amp/932447/
I was in a seafood restaurant once in Portugal, and there was a huge tank full of live lobsters. One of the waiters took one out for some of the children to have a look at. And they are awesome to look at up close! And boy can they move! One ended up on the floor and nearly legged it out the door!
And just the thought of one of those lobsters being thrown alive into boiling water, makes me angry :tickedoff:
I know in other places, lobsters are at least put to sleep in a freezer first, before being cooked. But that still doesn't make them dead :-\
I think this needs to happen everywhere, that lobsters are stunned and preferably dead before cooking. I would then order lobster in a restaurant, rather than just buying from say a fresh fish market.
I use a type-1 hand phaser. They don't feel a thing.
On a more serious note, what about live crabs?
There's treatment for those
Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
I'm going to admit BBMike, that I just fell for the type 1 hand phaser, hook,line and sinker :DD I thought it was an actual device used in cooking... That I'd just never heard of! But Google just provided me with the star trek trivia, that it's the taser weapon... Sigh!
You got me :bd: You svine!!!!!!!! Lol
Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 12:05:32 PM
I use a type-1 hand phaser. They don't feel a thing.
#:-)
You know these things are basically sea cockroaches right? You know that the sound coming from the cooking pot is not the lobster screaming but just steam escaping from the shell?
From the article:
QuoteAccording to Swiss public broadcaster RTS, only electric shock or the "mechanical destruction" of the lobster's brain will be accepted methods of stunning the animals once the new rule takes effect.
How exactly are they going to enforce this? Spies in ever kitchen?
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 12:14:59 PM
I'm going to admit BBMike, that I just fell for the type 1 hand phaser, hook,line and sinker :DD I thought it was an actual device used in cooking... That I'd just never heard of! But Google just provided me with the star trek trivia, that it's the taser weapon... Sigh!
You got me :bd: You svine!!!!!!!! Lol
Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 12:05:32 PM
I use a type-1 hand phaser. They don't feel a thing.
>:D
Crustacean Lives Matter! You knew it was coming. In a related move, today sharks announced they also would stun all their prey before ripping it to shreds. Can Barracudas be far behind?
Quote from: Barthheart on January 11, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
#:-)
You know these things are basically sea cockroaches right? You know that the sound coming from the cooking pot is not the lobster screaming but just steam escaping from the shell?
From the article:
QuoteAccording to Swiss public broadcaster RTS, only electric shock or the "mechanical destruction" of the lobster's brain will be accepted methods of stunning the animals once the new rule takes effect.
How exactly are they going to enforce this? Spies in ever kitchen?
So you think it's OK to throw a live animal into boiling water? As a way to kill it? Imagine if that was being done with live chickens.... Or live any other animal :-\ I don't care if it is a "sea cockroach", it's still an animal.
I would also hope that's chefs in kitchens would not mind taking an extra minute or two, to make sure that an animal that we are going to eat, is treated humanely first. And yes, I know it's not the lobster screaming in the pot. But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?
You can mock me all you like. But this actually matters to me.
All animals should be treated as humanely as possible whether they're to be killed or left alive. The danger here is some extreme-types that will tell me I'm a Nazi for eating at Red Lobster. :peace:
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 02:18:59 PM
....
But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?
...
How is mashing it's brains out or electrocuting it less pain than boiling water? Why is it OK to just stun the creature before boiling? It's still alive when that happens. To make any sense the law should require you to kill the creature "gently" before boiling... maybe gas it.
Do you worry about how fish are killed? The are basically suffocated when pulled out of the water in nets and dumped in the ship hold while still alive.
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 11, 2018, 02:33:54 PM
All animals should be treated as humanely as possible whether they're to be killed or left alive. The danger here is some extreme-types that will tell me I'm a Nazi for eating at Red Lobster. :peace:
I'm not an extreme type. I'm not about to "lobby" outside your restaurant about you eating lobster, in the way that you chose to do it :)
Quote from: Barthheart on January 11, 2018, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 02:18:59 PM
....
But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?
...
To make any sense the law should require you to kill the creature "gently" before boiling... maybe gas it.
Do you worry about how fish are killed? The are basically suffocated when pulled out of the water in nets and dumped in the ship hold while still alive.
I agree with what you're saying Barthheart. Gasing would be better.The animal should be dead before its cooked, I think. I just thought when I read the article, well at least it's a start in recognising what I feel is a problem.
I have thought about how fish die. But when we cook fish, they're already dead. That's my only point that I'm trying to make really. I'm not an animal extremist. I'm not against fishing or catching and killing fish. The only way to kill a fish is by it coming out of the water. But I'm not going to throw it alive into a pan!
A recent scientific report from Norway (go figure) finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."
QuoteAccording to Yaksh, primitive animals like lobsters have the ability to perceive and respond to a "noxious stimulus," that is, any agent that can cause physical harm like tissue damage.
"When you deal with a non-verbal animal, and when you see a lobster in boiling water, you know that's a noxious stimulus," said Yaksh.
But scientists like Yaksh stop short of calling what the lobster feels "pain" -- or pain as humans know it. The difference, Yaksh explained, is in our feelings. "There's a strong emotional component to what we call pain," he said.
It is this emotional component that helps us remember what causes pain, said Yaksh. "It's one of those things that drives you to avoid those [painful] things in the future," he said.
But animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering, say most researchers.
The moral of the story. I wouldn't be losing sleep over boiling lobsters.
And don't google what they do to male live chicks and ducklings in China
Or cats.
Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 04:58:56 PM
Or cats.
Yup, cats are the worse - always gathering round for some live duck frying - evil bastards
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2018, 03:11:05 PM
A recent scientific report from Norway (go figure) finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."
QuoteAccording to Yaksh, primitive animals like lobsters have the ability to perceive and respond to a "noxious stimulus," that is, any agent that can cause physical harm like tissue damage.
"When you deal with a non-verbal animal, and when you see a lobster in boiling water, you know that's a noxious stimulus," said Yaksh.
But scientists like Yaksh stop short of calling what the lobster feels "pain" -- or pain as humans know it. The difference, Yaksh explained, is in our feelings. "There's a strong emotional component to what we call pain," he said.
It is this emotional component that helps us remember what causes pain, said Yaksh. "It's one of those things that drives you to avoid those [painful] things in the future," he said.
But animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering, say most researchers.
The moral of the story. I wouldn't be losing sleep over boiling lobsters.
Thanks for posting that research , that's actually quite comforting to read . I know that most people who eat lobster from a restaurant,or cook/kill lobster by boiling it ...I know the vast majority of those people are animal lovers and are not cruel to animals . It's just always been the acceptable way to cook lobsters , so most people either don't question it , or are happy with how it's done , don't feel like the lobster suffers when it's being cooked .
It's nice to have some scientific research suggesting that they don't feel pain when they are boiled . I'll have to re-think how I feel about this now . Once that information has sunk in , I might find myself ordering lobster from a restaurant for the first time ever ! Thanks O0
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 11, 2018, 04:54:43 PM
And don't google what they do to male live chicks and ducklings in China
No way I'm googling that :tickedoff: I already know what happens in other countries , that male chicks are just shredded whilst they are still alive :'( :tickedoff: because they don't lay eggs and aren't profitable . I think it's almost impossible these days to know how an animal has been treated before we get to eat it . I think a lot of people are angry about how animals are treated in the food production industry . But there's very little that we can do about it , because we have to eat . And most people rely on government agencies to ensure animals are treated well . You just have to hope that for the most part they are doing their jobs well and protecting animals . In an ideal world , all animals would be treated well . I wish I lived in that world .
And don't tell my cats there's some fryed duck going ...they'll be all over that ! Beasts that they are :hide: