GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Johnnie on February 03, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

Title: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Johnnie on February 03, 2018, 10:36:35 PM
Just installed this.  I can fly with keyboard but not with Joystick.  I don't have this problem with other iterations of IL 2 Sturm.  Anyone know how I can get this sim to recognize the Joystick?
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Johnnie on February 04, 2018, 12:55:17 AM
Never mind; found the answer on Steam Discussions in download menu.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 02, 2018, 09:26:18 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on February 04, 2018, 12:55:17 AM
Never mind; found the answer on Steam Discussions in download menu.

  Back in the Beaufighter:


Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Dammit Carl! on October 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
Need to get this one of these days as the Battle of Britain is my thing.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 03, 2018, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
Need to get this one of these days as the Battle of Britain is my thing.

   I think the "Blitz" version has all the Fusion mods built in and it is basically pretty fantastic.  I know there are complaints about campaigns -- but I haven't done any campaigns in any flight sims since my days in the I-16 (cranking up the landing gear) in the original IL-2 over a decade ago.

   So I usually set up battles in the Editor...the editor is a lot like the editor in the original Il-2.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Skoop on October 03, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
The AI still stinks from what I hear.

I jumped into WOTR which is promising but still needs a lot of work.  The AI is good in WOTR, but I feel it is severly limited from the engine in re creating some of those big 100 plane raids.  It's like they bolted the frame work on from WOFF, so you come across the same 9 geman bombers everytime.

Playing WOTR just made me long for a modern redo of Rowan's battle of britan WOV.  I would have rather the WOFF/ WOTR guys had just bought the rights or teamed up with the guys continuing BOB WOV and just modernized the graphics in that.  Nothing is ever going to beat that sim in capturing the essence of the Battle of Britain.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 03, 2018, 09:31:09 PM
Quote from: Skoop on October 03, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
The AI still stinks from what I hear.

I jumped into WOTR which is promising but still needs a lot of work.  The AI is good in WOTR, but I feel it is severly limited from the engine in re creating some of those big 100 plane raids.  It's like they bolted the frame work on from WOFF, so you come across the same 9 geman bombers everytime.

Playing WOTR just made me long for a modern redo of Rowan's battle of britan WOV.  I would have rather the WOFF/ WOTR guys had just bought the rights or teamed up with the guys continuing BOB WOV and just modernized the graphics in that.  Nothing is ever going to beat that sim in capturing the essence of the Battle of Britain.

  Yes, the AI isn't spectacular, though lately for some random reason it has done better in my scenarios than BoX (which can dive into the ground some times like the AI in CloD used to do on the ACE settings).  Some of the problems seem to have been fixed but enough remain for Version 5 to make a point of fixing (I'm not sure what the problems are).
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 04, 2018, 12:59:30 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
Need to get this one of these days as the Battle of Britain is my thing.

  Hurricanes heading south, angels 10, 8:35 am:
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Sir Slash on October 04, 2018, 01:35:21 PM
Very pretty.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 04, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 04, 2018, 01:35:21 PM
Very pretty.

Thanks!  In some ways this is the best-looking flight sim out there at the moment.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Dammit Carl! on October 05, 2018, 09:25:12 AM
Man...
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Sir Slash on October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 AM
I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though, but I pretty much just suck at them. I'm much more of a stealthy sub mariner type.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 AM
I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though, but I pretty much just suck at them. I'm much more of a stealthy sub mariner type.

  I'm pretty bad at most games -- which might be why I enjoy them, I guess, so flight sims seem no worse than most games for me.  I do get good at some random games (even some flight seems sometimes)...for example in certain FPS games I get really good with say the GreaseGun or the Sten gun or the Thompson and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2018, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
...and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip magazine into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!

There...fixed it for you.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 06:07:26 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2018, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
...and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip magazine into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!

There...fixed it for you.  :crazy2:

  Magazine just sounds so BIG.  Clip -- you know -- under 41 bullets or so.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Father Ted on October 06, 2018, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 AM
I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though.

Joystick would make a difference, as would TIR and pedals.

Having said that, given that the likes of DCS, BoX and CloD are designed to mimic the flight characteristics of real aircraft, I think there is no reason any of us* should expect not to suck.  Consider that the people who did this for real had to pass aptitude tests and were intensively schooled in the theory and practice of powered flight (with any not fit for purpose being weeded out) before getting anywhere near fighting, and then think how we approach these games:  I reckon in 99 cases out of 100 it's the cart before the horse - trying to shoot stuff down before learning how to fly.

Of course, because of infinite virtual lives, you can do it this way, but I think a lot of people get put off by their lack of success before they get that far.  Those who do push through to being able to enjoy the games are either mad keen to be Biggles and/or have some prior appreciation of how aeroplanes work.

However, I also think that to "git gud" at these things (especially in MP) one needs an innate ability for spatial awareness.  To a degree this can be learned but there will always be those who are better than others.  That might sound depressing but, even though I suck at MP, I prefer things to be genuinely skill-based rather than the RPG way of progression.

*excepting any real-world pilots
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Destraex on July 14, 2024, 04:43:30 AM
Well. Just tried this again and boy does it rock. Still looks and plays great.
 I remember way back when nobody could run this game smoothly wondering what it would be like on future computers.
You might be wondering why I tried this game again after all these years. Well apparently a B17 is coming to the game and I think this is probably a better platform than anything but DCS or Box il2 Great Battles for ithe B17 to be in.

Not really enthused about the Microprose titles that are coming.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2024, 07:14:43 AM
The VR version is also presently being beta tested. A lot to look forward to here.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Redwolf on July 14, 2024, 11:24:03 AM
This is relevant to my current interests.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 14, 2024, 01:09:46 PM
Did the ever fix the AI?  That's what killed the title for me back in the day.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: CaptainKoloth on July 14, 2024, 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2024, 07:14:43 AMThe VR version is also presently being beta tested. A lot to look forward to here.

To be fair they've been saying that for like four years now...
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Destraex on July 14, 2024, 05:18:53 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 14, 2024, 01:09:46 PMDid the ever fix the AI?  That's what killed the title for me back in the day.
I can tell you the AI is super accurate. They really punish you.
Also I really have trouble aiming in this sim, the aircraft never seems to want to stay pointing at the enemy aircraft. It always wants to dip or pull over the enemy.
I'd have to put some effort in to really learn this sims keys again and see if it's just me or whether aircraft of the time really did have this problem.
Title: Re: IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz
Post by: Skoop on July 17, 2024, 02:03:16 PM
I recently booted up clod blitz and felt the same way.  It's better now than release by far, and with it being the only detailed sim of a b17 besides warthunder or microprose reboots, it's really going to be a hidden gem.