GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM

Title: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM
Quote
Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes. January's Ace Jam invited developers to go some way to change this by creating games that feature characters on the asexual spectrum, and treat them respectfully.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/15/ace-jam-created-a-space-for-games-with-asexual-characters/#more-516767 (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/15/ace-jam-created-a-space-for-games-with-asexual-characters/#more-516767)

Its getting increasingly more difficult for me to enjoy my visits to RPS. I am so disappointed that there are places where gender, sexuality and race are being injected into this hobby. Gaming was a last vestige where I could go to escape all the crap everyone else wants to ram down my throat.

Sure...its very rare for there to be "asexual" characters in games because they make up .000002% of the human population. Why should it be commonplace to see "asexual" characters in games, especially when the vast majority of games have nothing to do with sexuality. If you are asexual and are offended by sexual content, don't play games that have anything to do with sexuality or traditional sexual norms. So frustrating...
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Tpek on February 15, 2018, 10:33:43 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM
Sure...its very rare for there to be "asexual" characters in games ...

Not quite true.
Most characters in games don't practice sex at all, hence most characters ARE asexual :P

And I think by now the LGBTQA's proper term is the entire ABC (latin, greek, arabic, hebrew, chinese and cyrillic).
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: bbmike on February 15, 2018, 11:15:12 AM
Wot I Think - RPS has always sucked.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: bbmike on February 15, 2018, 11:15:12 AM
Wot I Think - RPS has always sucked.

I've never cared for their reviews and certainly not their editorial content. However, as a source of current news, they are hard to beat. They definitely report across a wide segment of genres. I just wish they'd give the PC stuff a rest.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 15, 2018, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
I just wish they'd give the PC stuff a rest.

and only talk about console games?!?   :hide:
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Toonces on February 15, 2018, 11:40:15 AM
Some folks just have to find something to be upset about.  Yes, I recognize the irony in that statement.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: RommelFox on February 15, 2018, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM
Quote

Its getting increasingly more difficult for me to enjoy my visits to RPS. I am so disappointed that there are places where gender, sexuality and race are being injected into this hobby. Gaming was a last vestige where I could go to escape all the crap everyone else wants to ram down my throat.


I'm with you.  I stopped visiting RPS a while ago because of the constant injection of their politics/social prerogatives into their reviews.  I just want to read what the game is like, so I can get an idea if I'll enjoy it or not.  It's a game.  Not a political rally.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Gusington on February 15, 2018, 01:13:25 PM
I like them. However I never read their editorials.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: fran on February 15, 2018, 01:53:10 PM
Flare Path on Fridays is entertaining and a good source of upcoming games I'm interested in.

If they do push a certain agenda I tend to skip those articles most of the time.

Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: JasonPratt on February 15, 2018, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 15, 2018, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
I just wish they'd give the PC stuff a rest.

and only talk about console games?!?   :hide:

Well-played!  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Gusington on February 15, 2018, 03:36:12 PM
TEEHEE
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
I like the Flare Path.

Why RPS or any other organ thinks I need their opinion on issues of the kind referenced in the original post is well beyond me.

Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:17:09 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
I like the Flare Path.

Why RPS or any other organ thinks I need their opinion on issues of the kind referenced in the original post is well beyond me.



They were reporting on a new game that covers an unusual subject. It may not be relevant to any of us, but RPS is a site that reports broadly on games and the industry.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes.

This lede is opinion not news.  The first sentence has little to do with gaming at all.  And all this speaks to JH's concern re: an agenda.

Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes.

This lede is opinion not news.  The first sentence has little to do with gaming at all.  And all this speaks to JH's concern re: an agenda.



What is not accurate about the statement? What agenda is the article pushing?
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2:), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Father Ted on February 15, 2018, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:17:09 PM

They were reporting on a new game that covers an unusual subject. It may not be relevant to any of us, but RPS is a site that reports broadly on games and the industry.

In the end, this^.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:48:55 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on February 15, 2018, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:17:09 PM

They were reporting on a new game that covers an unusual subject. It may not be relevant to any of us, but RPS is a site that reports broadly on games and the industry.

In the end, this^.

If you actually read what they write, you cannot deny an obvious gender/sex identity/racial agenda. Even their review of Kingdom Come Deliverance contained grips about gender roles and racial stereotype. Its ridiculous.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2: ), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.

Seriously, what is the agenda? Do you really think that article is advocating for an asexual lifestyle? It's talking about an attempt to create games that speak to a segment of the population not represented by traditional games. Big whoop. Do you need to play those games? Do you even need to care? Not at all. But when you ask, "Why does RPS need to report on 'this stuff'?" my response is, "Why wouldn't they report on it?". Whether or not it is of interest to any of us here, it is gaming news that does interest a segment of RPS' readers and thus deserves to be reported on.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2: ), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.

Seriously, what is the agenda? Do you really think that article is advocating for an asexual lifestyle? It's talking about an attempt to create games that speak to a segment of the population not represented by traditional games. Big whoop. Do you need to play those games? Do you even need to care? Not at all. But when you ask, "Why does RPS need to report on 'this stuff'?" my response is, "Why wouldn't they report on it?". Whether or not it is of interest to any of us here, it is gaming news that does interest a segment of RPS' readers and thus deserves to be reported on.

They aren't "reporting". They are editorializing...repeatedly...across multiple articles that do not even involve the subject matter of which they are editorializing on. If you cant even recognize or acknowledge or accept that this might annoy some people, then I guess there is nothing to really talk about and we can just agree to disagree.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Arctic Blast on February 15, 2018, 10:09:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:17:09 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
I like the Flare Path.

Why RPS or any other organ thinks I need their opinion on issues of the kind referenced in the original post is well beyond me.



They were reporting on a new game that covers an unusual subject. It may not be relevant to any of us, but RPS is a site that reports broadly on games and the industry.

Yeah, pretty much.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 11:47:37 PM
To be correct, one would have to observe they were not reporting on a game, but on a series of games created during "Ace Jam", an event entirely dedicated to creating games with asexual spectrum characters.  For what it's worth, the grammar nerd in me finds the concept of asexual spectrum amusing, but I digress.

The article was about asexual representation in media, particularly games.

It spends far more time talking about asexuality than games.

And the entire point of the article is how great it is that now there are games with asexual characters.

As one of the subsidiary definitions of agenda is "the underlying intentions or motives of a particular person or group", surely they have one.

I am neither offended nor enraged by this agenda (and I enrage easily enough), and it's easy enough to ignore, but I prefer games to be judged as games rather than for a social good they serve or a perceived wrong they right.  It gilds the lily to observe that I cannot detect a single place where the author indicates whether a particular game is any good.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: undercovergeek on February 16, 2018, 02:36:13 AM
The first requirements of all games reviewed on there are

Does it have ethnic minorities in it

Does it cater to the transgender community

Then the review can start

Someone will always find some source to justify an Asian and a black guy needing to be in a game about medieval Europe

What I would like to know and it happens a lot here - are these 'where are the ethnics?' campaigners members of that group or as I suspect is it white people looking for a cause to weep over whilst transgender and black guys play their games with a wry smile on their face
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 16, 2018, 06:36:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2: ), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.

Seriously, what is the agenda? Do you really think that article is advocating for an asexual lifestyle? It's talking about an attempt to create games that speak to a segment of the population not represented by traditional games. Big whoop. Do you need to play those games? Do you even need to care? Not at all. But when you ask, "Why does RPS need to report on 'this stuff'?" my response is, "Why wouldn't they report on it?". Whether or not it is of interest to any of us here, it is gaming news that does interest a segment of RPS' readers and thus deserves to be reported on.

They aren't "reporting". They are editorializing...repeatedly...across multiple articles that do not even involve the subject matter of which they are editorializing on. If you cant even recognize or acknowledge or accept that this might annoy some people, then I guess there is nothing to really talk about and we can just agree to disagree.

It's a shame you don't have your own gaming site where you can write commentary and editorial content from your own perspective :P
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 16, 2018, 07:10:33 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2018, 06:36:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2: ), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.

Seriously, what is the agenda? Do you really think that article is advocating for an asexual lifestyle? It's talking about an attempt to create games that speak to a segment of the population not represented by traditional games. Big whoop. Do you need to play those games? Do you even need to care? Not at all. But when you ask, "Why does RPS need to report on 'this stuff'?" my response is, "Why wouldn't they report on it?". Whether or not it is of interest to any of us here, it is gaming news that does interest a segment of RPS' readers and thus deserves to be reported on.

They aren't "reporting". They are editorializing...repeatedly...across multiple articles that do not even involve the subject matter of which they are editorializing on. If you cant even recognize or acknowledge or accept that this might annoy some people, then I guess there is nothing to really talk about and we can just agree to disagree.

It's a shame you don't have your own gaming site where you can write commentary and editorial content from your own perspective :P

LoL. Point well taken. However, I suspect if I did that, we'd have three, maybe four readers.  O0
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 07:21:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 16, 2018, 07:10:33 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2018, 06:36:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Mirth, you can't be serious. I think the agenda is obvious. It might not bother you, which is totally cool and I can understand that (since we all have a lot of questions about your sexual orientation  :crazy2: ), but, really, the agenda is not hidden in the least.

Seriously, what is the agenda? Do you really think that article is advocating for an asexual lifestyle? It's talking about an attempt to create games that speak to a segment of the population not represented by traditional games. Big whoop. Do you need to play those games? Do you even need to care? Not at all. But when you ask, "Why does RPS need to report on 'this stuff'?" my response is, "Why wouldn't they report on it?". Whether or not it is of interest to any of us here, it is gaming news that does interest a segment of RPS' readers and thus deserves to be reported on.

They aren't "reporting". They are editorializing...repeatedly...across multiple articles that do not even involve the subject matter of which they are editorializing on. If you cant even recognize or acknowledge or accept that this might annoy some people, then I guess there is nothing to really talk about and we can just agree to disagree.

It's a shame you don't have your own gaming site where you can write commentary and editorial content from your own perspective :P

LoL. Point well taken. However, I suspect if I did that, we'd have three, maybe four readers.  O0
I'd read it  :)

Where are the editorials on here anyway?
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 07:42:48 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 16, 2018, 02:36:13 AM
The first requirements of all games reviewed on there are

Does it have ethnic minorities in it

Does it cater to the transgender community

Then the review can start


Jarhead's website's requirements:

Does it have guns in it?

Does it have crossbows in it?

Is it in early access with no end date in sight, but lots of DLC I can buy anyway even though the game many never be complete?

Then the review can begin.

;)
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 16, 2018, 08:01:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 16, 2018, 07:10:33 AMLoL. Point well taken. However, I suspect if I did that, we'd have three, maybe four readers.  O0

Sooooooo... we'd double our readership?  I'm not seeing a downside here.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 07:21:03 AM
Where are the editorials on here anyway?

My understanding is there's another part of Grogheads outside of the forum page.  I'm not sure how you get to it, though.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 16, 2018, 08:03:35 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 16, 2018, 08:01:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 16, 2018, 07:10:33 AMLoL. Point well taken. However, I suspect if I did that, we'd have three, maybe four readers.  O0

Sooooooo... we'd double our readership?  I'm not seeing a downside here.

:2funny:
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 16, 2018, 09:04:40 AM
Quote from: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 07:42:48 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 16, 2018, 02:36:13 AM
The first requirements of all games reviewed on there are

Does it have ethnic minorities in it

Does it cater to the transgender community

Then the review can start


Jarhead's website's requirements:

Does it have guns in it?

Does it have crossbows in it?

Is it in early access with no end date in sight, but lots of DLC I can buy anyway even though the game many never be complete?

Then the review can begin.

;)

Good thing I don't invest in stock like I invest in games. lol
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 09:05:34 AM
Oh man...that hurt.  That hurt a lot.   :-\
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 07:21:03 AM
Where are the editorials on here anyway?

My understanding is there's another part of Grogheads outside of the forum page.  I'm not sure how you get to it, though.
hmmm...I am just going outside and may be some time
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 16, 2018, 06:57:04 PM
Holy shit.  Look, RPS took sides with the SJW* crowd a long time ago, and have long lost credibility with anyone who gives a damn about journalistic integrity.  As Geek astutely pointed out, RPS is a website which looks first for the virtue signalling before they even begin to consider such lowly aspects as gameplay.

This is the website which treated Peter Molyneux appallingly, a developer who has done more for PC gaming than they can even dream of.  A website who actually blatantly and unapologetically manufactured a baseless hit piece on Rimworld (based on unimplemented/workaround code).  A website whose former contributor (Nathan Grayson) is buried neck-deep in the gamergate bilge.

RPS is a disgusting. unprofessional, shitstain in the pants of gaming journalism, and should be treated accordingly.  It is second only to the likes of Kotaku.

* Yes I used the term SJW, and I used it in a derogatory fashion, as is merited.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 16, 2018, 06:59:03 PM
Hell of a comeback, Huw. Where you been?
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 16, 2018, 07:02:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2018, 06:59:03 PM
Hell of a comeback, Huw. Where you been?

Ten years ago, if I got angry about something, I'd fucking flame out in all directions.  I've learned since then.  So when I got angry a couple of years ago I simply stopped posting.  I like to think it's a sign of growth. :)

How are ya Mirth old buddy?
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: mirth on February 16, 2018, 07:05:04 PM
Same ol' charming me. Glad you're back.
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 07:08:17 PM
Holy shit, Huw is back!
Title: Re: Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 16, 2018, 07:11:52 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 16, 2018, 07:08:17 PM
Holy shit, Huw is back!

I'm using live rounds this time....