Wasn't expecting this when I looked at Steam today. Interesting excuse for a sale but when I went to my wish list I saw some great buys. DC: Warsaw to Paris $9.59. Victory and Glory: Napoleon $9.89 Field of Glory 2 $19.79 And more!
Mare Nostrum...$14.99. Cha-ching!
Uh oh.
Somehow, the Steam Chinese New Year sale is even more underwhelming than previous sales.
I can't even find myself, so far, remotely interested in any of the sales.
Damn, Stellaris is 60% off. I have easily been resisting it up until now...
Quote from: Geezer on February 15, 2018, 04:08:52 PM
Damn, Stellaris is 60% off. I have easily been resisting it up until now...
Resistance is futile.
Does "Lunar New Year" in Chinese translate to "Valentine's Regret Day"?
Quote from: Geezer on February 15, 2018, 04:08:52 PM
Damn, Stellaris is 60% off. I have easily been resisting it up until now...
I wouldn't bother. Speaking as someone who foolishly preordered and suffered through the first few patches, I can say that Stellaris will almost certainly never become the game it was meant to be.
I mean, maybe someone who's played the last last patch or two can confirm that everything got turned around and miraculously fixed, but somehow I doubt that happened. Save your money.
Huw, welcome back. Hope all is well
What do you think is broken in Stillaris. Im still having fun with it. I've thought of firing up Distant Worlds, but with the issues still there, I much happier with Stellaris.
Thanks mate, nice to be back. I honestly can't remember too much about Stellaris (other than my general sense of bitter disappointment as I'd been bugging PDX to make a space-based 4X for years), but as I recall my complaints revolved around things like how wars worked (bringing your opponents to their knees yet only being able to take a single world, and having to wait ten years before declaring again) to the way that you're forced into alliances because otherwise you're swept under the carpet (and alliances being totally broken - I can instigate a war and claim certain war goals, but if my ally declares a war I get no say in it - plus AI spamming of war declarations), to the way the AI completely fails to react to the extra-galactic invasions etc.
I could've given you a more concrete answer a year or two ago. Suffice to say I was really pissed off with the developer's attitude and seeming reluctance to fix some core issues.
^This is THE Huw? Not some imposter?
Maybe it's his cat.
I hope not.
Quote from: OJsDad on February 16, 2018, 10:47:57 PM
Maybe it's his cat.
I just ate it. :)
Sup Gus? What have you been up to?
Huw,
The game has change a lot since initial release. There is a huge release coming out this next week which is going to massively change the game again.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-105-2-0-cherryh-patch-notes.1069794/
Quote from: OJsDad on February 17, 2018, 09:12:03 AM
Huw,
The game has change a lot since initial release. There is a huge release coming out this next week which is going to massively change the game again.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-105-2-0-cherryh-patch-notes.1069794/
(Disclaimer: my snark is not directed at you - rather, at Paradox)
Yeah yeah, I've heard it many times before. Every update was supposed to be the one that addressed all the complaints and made everything better. I got into an argument with Johan on Reddit about it just before the release of one of them. He said I should wait and see what it does before criticising, and as I pointed out at the time, I'd been "waiting and seeing" for over a year while issues present at release were still not fixed.
I mean, it's the same old story with Paradox isn't it? Every game has issues that they seem unwilling or unable to fix, and many of them are considered game-breaking by the playerbase. I can't be arsed with them any more, there are plenty more games to play.
Not sure where all the paradox rage is coming from, Huw. Their games, for the most part, are uniformly awesome (note: awesome is not the same as perfect), including Stellaris. Its cool if you don't like the game, that's a personal preference, but there is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with it as you are suggesting. In fact, I think since you've already conceded that you don't even remember what you didn't like about it, you should go play it and give it another chance. If you still think it sucks, at least you'll be able to tell us why.
I did mention a few issues upthread Jarhead, I merely said I'd be more concrete about them if I'd played it recently. I'd probably remember a lot more issues, too.
Yes, I'm willing to admit they may have been fixed by now (I remain skeptical about that), but as I said, I got fed up of being disappointed by patch after patch and eventually deleted it. Like I said, there are plenty more games to play. I doubt I'll ever install Stellaris again.