GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: jomni on February 16, 2018, 06:12:57 PM

Title: March to Glory
Post by: jomni on February 16, 2018, 06:12:57 PM
From Shenandoah.  Probably a Napoleonic version of their previous games.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=710

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slitherine.com%2Ffiles%2Fgames%2F710%2F20171213053922.jpg&hash=20541da9b7274616d4cdd967f04ad130fe81358d)
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Tpek on April 13, 2018, 11:10:04 AM
It's out on Steam.

Is anyone trying it out?

Does it have hotseat?
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: JasonPratt on April 13, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I'm keeping an eye on it, but I need to cut back hard on my expenses for a while.  :-\
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: mirth on April 13, 2018, 11:52:09 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 13, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
I need to cut back hard on my expenses for a while.  :-\

I keep saying that too
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Sir Slash on April 13, 2018, 01:33:29 PM
Review over at the Wargamer. Just saying.  ::)
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Destraex on April 13, 2018, 05:27:38 PM
I would probably grab this if it was not IGOUGO and was WEGO. It looks nice and crisp with a clean interface unlike scourge of war. Which I might have to give another go but really need this kind of crispness to enjoy the game.
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: JasonPratt on April 13, 2018, 05:56:32 PM
I couldn't get into their prior game, Gettysburg: the Tide Turns at all. I don't remember why, but I refunded it pretty quickly.

This gives me some caution on waiting, too. But this does look more extensive.
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Pzrjager on April 14, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
There's a good article on this at RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/13/wot-i-think-march-to-glory/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

This really killed my interest:

QuoteThe "random map generator" mentioned on the Slitherine and Matrix Games pages, is actually nothing of the sort. It's simply a device that chooses at random one of the campaign clashes. It doesn't even have the decency to rearrange unit starting positions.

Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: SirAndrewD on April 14, 2018, 02:48:03 PM
I can feel my loins drying with every review.
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Gusington on April 14, 2018, 04:16:29 PM
^That is very sad.
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Johnnie on April 14, 2018, 09:30:00 PM
Despite that review, I am enjoying it.  Played Waterloo scenario twice.  First time on hard and lost. (Options are normal, hard and very hard, I thing hard is the default.) Second time I played on normal and won.  Both games were close run things (to coin a phrase) and fun.  First game took about an hour and a half when I gave up;  second game I won automatic victory after 10 of 20 turns.  Took about an hour or so.

Good simple and entertaining game and not totally ahistorical. Combat much more realistic than Victory and Glory, which I also like, but no "campaign"  ala Victory and Glory (which has several.)  March to Glory is more like a Civil War General with fewer and much larger units.  No, on second thought, more like Thin Red Line (the board game by Victory Games?)    The non-hex map, where the crowded units are unable to engage without others getting out of the way, seems to me more realistic for this era.  Especially for a battle like Waterloo, which took place on a battlefield about three miles wide.

Anyhow, I recommend it.  Provided you like Napoleonic battles that you can complete in an hour or two.  A real Random Battle Generator would be a great addition. 
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Tuna on April 15, 2018, 07:14:10 AM
Quote from: Destraex on April 13, 2018, 05:27:38 PM
I would probably grab this if it was not IGOUGO and was WEGO. It looks nice and crisp with a clean interface unlike scourge of war. Which I might have to give another go but really need this kind of crispness to enjoy the game.

Waterloo Scourge is a lot of fun in MP. Ask Jason Pratt or Tactical Wargamer, we've had some fun matches!.. Though the time zone difference would be tough, as the games can go like 3 hours!
Title: Re: March to Glory
Post by: Pete Dero on April 16, 2018, 10:34:59 AM


thehistoricalgamer - 16 apr. 2018

In today's video I conduct my review and final thoughts on the new turn-based strategy game by Shenandoah Studios, March to Glory.  In today's review I discuss the shortcomings of this game and express my view that it really doesn't do anything all that compellingly.