GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: ArizonaTank on March 17, 2018, 11:03:46 AM

Title: Battle Hymn Vol 1: Gettysburg and Pea Ridge
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 17, 2018, 11:03:46 AM
Anyone get Battle Hymn: Gettysburg and Pea Ridge?  Am seeing some good words about the combat system. Same designer as Across 5 Aprils

https://www.compassgames.com/preorders/battle-hymn-vol-1-gettysburg-and-pea-ridge.html (https://www.compassgames.com/preorders/battle-hymn-vol-1-gettysburg-and-pea-ridge.html)



Title: Re: Battle Hymn Vol 1: Gettysburg and Pea Ridge
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 21, 2018, 11:59:38 PM
I decided to take the plunge....and now a fresh copy has arrived at my doorstep.

At first I thought, "why do I need / want another Gettysburg game?"  Heck I have some great ones, that are mostly un-played.

But as an ex mini-gamer....boardgames have always left me empty in the combat resolution department.

The only possible exception being Berg / GMT's "Three Days of Gettysburg"...but it is also a monster and not something quickly played.

Then I reviewed Battle Hymn's rules, and was surprised as it has several features that drew my interest...
-Attacking artillery can bombard before an attack...units do not block artillery fire (appropriate for a brigade level game)
-Damage is taken in strength points, and in moral points.  So an eight point unit could have two SP loses, and five demoralized loses, so have an effective strength of one. 
-Combat is multi-step...reminds me of Hexasim "Eagles" series

Here is the link for the rules to take a gander....
https://issuu.com/consimworld/docs/bh_rules.09_020518_r?e=9869527/58100155 (https://issuu.com/consimworld/docs/bh_rules.09_020518_r?e=9869527/58100155)

I am pretty much a vassal gamer now...so will get this on the "virtual" board once the module is done...sounds like next week.