GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: OJsDad on April 05, 2018, 02:48:57 PM

Title: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: OJsDad on April 05, 2018, 02:48:57 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/981967240265392128
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: GDS_Starfury on April 05, 2018, 03:44:49 PM
 :bd:
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Greybriar on April 05, 2018, 04:04:27 PM
As I posted in The Groginati Sales Thread (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3624.msg605110#new), there are 28 DLC for Crusader Kings II (http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/Crusader_Kings_II/) costing a total of $141.29 U.S. So offering the base game free is just good marketing. Personally I'd rather they reduced the price of the DLC 75%.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: OJsDad on April 05, 2018, 04:11:52 PM
The Dlc is heavily discounted during major sales.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Greybriar on April 05, 2018, 06:06:11 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on April 05, 2018, 04:11:52 PM
The Dlc is heavily discounted during major sales.

When it gets down to 75% off, I will pounce on it. :)
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: OJsDad on April 05, 2018, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on April 05, 2018, 04:04:27 PM
As I posted in The Groginati Sales Thread (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3624.msg605110#new), there are 28 DLC for Crusader Kings II (http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/Crusader_Kings_II/) costing a total of $141.29 U.S. So offering the base game free is just good marketing. Personally I'd rather they reduced the price of the DLC 75%.

Only half of those 28 are actual expansions to the game.  The rest of what is listed as DLC isn't needed.  It's content packs, Portraits, e-Books, etc.  The total for the actual expansions is $83.91.  All of the expansions are 50%, except for Jade Dragon, which came out last year, and it's 33% off.

This really isn't a bad deal.  And, with the base game being free, you could start with that, and decide if you like it or not before you invest in any DLC. 

Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: DennisS on April 05, 2018, 09:54:32 PM
I was coming in to post on this. This game is about #3 in hours played for my massive steam catalogue.

TBH, you will likely want to get the DLC's, or several of them. Kind of like HOI4. If you have an interest, I would bite the bullet.

Same with Victoria II...GREAT paradox game, but lots and lots of time needed to master the mechanics.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: CJReich46 on April 06, 2018, 12:18:21 AM
I'm thinking on the last three expansions - Conclave, Mystics, Reaper's and a few cosmetics. That price tag isn't bad at all.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Blucher on April 06, 2018, 02:56:48 AM
I am honestly surprised they didnt do this sooner. I wonder if they will do this with other titles.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 06, 2018, 03:41:39 AM
I saw so many gamers swear allegiance to this game - how great it was.

It never struck a single chord with me. I just wasn't into it in the slightest. Being free is absolutely no temptation for me. But you guys go mental  O0
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Hofstadter on April 06, 2018, 06:10:30 AM
Im going through lists of essential DLC, looking at what stuff it adds and all i can think is.

This is AIDS. Paradox Interactive is a giant pile of AIDS
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: fran on April 07, 2018, 02:56:33 AM
This is AIDS. Paradox Interactive is a giant pile of AIDS

??
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 07, 2018, 03:03:07 AM
Quote from: fran on April 07, 2018, 02:56:33 AM
This is AIDS. Paradox Interactive is a giant pile of AIDS

??
I didn't get that either, so I put it down to a language barrier and let it slide.

Sounds kind of bad though.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: fran on April 07, 2018, 03:35:49 AM
Ok at least I'm not the only one thinking it is a strange way of describing something
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: MetalDog on April 07, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Something I stumbled across the other night.  Might help in your DLC decisions:


https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: CJReich46 on April 09, 2018, 11:26:40 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 07, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Something I stumbled across the other night.  Might help in your DLC decisions:


https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/

I folded. I ended up grabbing the 2 DLCs of Coat of Arms, Conclave, Reapers and Monks.   ::)

I think I read that before, so that might have lead to my decision.

Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: jomni on April 10, 2018, 12:44:15 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 06, 2018, 03:41:39 AM
I saw so many gamers swear allegiance to this game - how great it was.

It never struck a single chord with me. I just wasn't into it in the slightest. Being free is absolutely no temptation for me. But you guys go mental  O0

It's fine but I end up just going with the flow of medieval life.  It's not like EU where I can easily plot some scheme to grab a province and actually see it pull through in a single sitting.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2018, 12:04:55 PM
Just remember: CK2 is actually alt-right and dogwhistling to fellow alt-righters with its free giveaway.

Because "Deus Vult". Or so says Newsweek's senior tech reporter...



I... I can't even... wat...
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2018, 12:06:11 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 07, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Something I stumbled across the other night.  Might help in your DLC decisions:


https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/

That was super-helpful! -- too bad I already own most of everything, but it helps with the few recents I don't own yet.  O0
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Nefaro on April 10, 2018, 03:07:46 PM
I filled a few DLC holes on the sale.

Started up a new campaign.  Played for 20 minutes, mostly dicking with customizing my family flag, then saved and quit to go read.  :-"

I do still have the urge to continue it.  DEUS LO VULT!   :))
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: bob48 on April 10, 2018, 03:27:30 PM
I downloaded it, but I'm not sure I'll ever get my head around it.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on April 11, 2018, 03:37:41 AM
To be honest, I'm not as big a fan of the game as I was when it first came out. Since they've started releasing EUIV etc... I much prefer those games over CK2. I like the *Idea* of CK2, but I think a CK3 would be a much better experience, if they ever get around to making one.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Greybriar on April 11, 2018, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 07, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Something I stumbled across the other night.  Might help in your DLC decisions:

https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/

Thanks for the link! O0
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: CJReich46 on April 12, 2018, 04:14:31 PM
Paradox has the DLCs on sale and CK II for 75% on the Paradox Store.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader-kings-all/?utm_source=forum-owned&utm_medium=social-owned&utm_content=banner-top&utm_campaign=crki_ck_2018412_pla_brpr

Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Hofstadter on April 13, 2018, 06:15:17 AM
And im balls deep inside the game.

.....goddamnit....
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Gusington on April 13, 2018, 12:15:04 PM
 :o
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: OJsDad on April 13, 2018, 12:36:25 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on April 13, 2018, 06:15:17 AM
And im balls deep inside the game.

.....goddamnit....

Your not in deep enogh.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: The Puss on April 14, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
Say hello to the dickhead who £29.99 on the game on Saturday that they gave away free on the Thursday. Should have bought FOGII. Frickin hate my luck or lack of it.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Gusington on April 14, 2018, 10:02:47 AM
Hi there. Don't hate me for saying so but FoGII is awesome.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: Staggerwing on April 14, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Quote from: The Puss on April 14, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
Say hello to the dickhead who £29.99 on the game on Saturday that they gave away free on the Thursday. Should have bought FOGII. Frickin hate my luck or lack of it.

Did you get it through STEAM? Can you still return the paid copy? If you have not played it much maybe it's not too late.
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: The Puss on April 29, 2018, 09:18:59 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 14, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Quote from: The Puss on April 14, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
Say hello to the dickhead who £29.99 on the game on Saturday that they gave away free on the Thursday. Should have bought FOGII. Frickin hate my luck or lack of it.

Did you get it through STEAM? Can you still return the paid copy? If you have not played it much maybe it's not too late.

Sorry Staggerwing, not on the group as much theses days. How would I go about that as all I have done is download it and then stared bewildered at laptop screen for an hour?
Title: Re: FREE. CRUSADER KINGS II.
Post by: The Puss on April 29, 2018, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: The Puss on April 29, 2018, 09:18:59 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 14, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Quote from: The Puss on April 14, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
Say hello to the dickhead who £29.99 on the game on Saturday that they gave away free on the Thursday. Should have bought FOGII. Frickin hate my luck or lack of it.

Did you get it through STEAM? Can you still return the paid copy? If you have not played it much maybe it's not too late.

Sorry Staggerwing, not on the group as much theses days. How would I go about that as all I have done is download it and then stared bewildered at laptop screen for an hour?

Have requested a refund, thanks Staggerwing, only played 25 minutes. If I get the refund then it is FOG2 and CK2 at the reduced price.