GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 06:15:43 PM

Title: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 06:15:43 PM
As you may know, I've been collecting minis for the WWII version of Wings of Glory for some time and I've amassed a fair number. I don't get the game on the table nearly as much as I'd like as it's better in a group and it's hard to arrange time and people.  I still manage to get it out a few times a year though and it's always fun.  Due to the cost, I decided to forego the WWI stuff and just concentrate on WWII.  Well, that plan kinda fell apart last week...I used to collect and play X-Wing minis as well but stopped about a year and a half ago as I just wasn't having fun with it anymore.  I felt the rules added with all the expansions and updates crushed the life out of the game and so I decided to get rid of my collection.  I had been trying to unload it all at once but wasn't having any luck as it's quite large and people were understandably put off by the price.  I recently decided to break it up and try to sell it off piecemeal.  Someone local offered to trade me his copy of Wings of Glory WW1: Duel Pack - Fokker Dr.I vs Sopwith Camel and a Nieuport 28 in exchange for a few X-Wing minis.

I got these 3 planes.
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/790/40857280344_70d69905cc_b.jpg)

The duel pack comes with a mini sized version of the rules as well as all the counters and cards you need to play the standard version of the game.  Unfortunately, it doesn't include the counters and cards you need for the advanced rules.  I knew that one of the FLGS's had a copy of the Rules and Accessories box on their shelf so I headed down to pick it up.  They also had another Duel Pack with an Albatross D.Va and a SPAD VII as well as an Albatross DIII.  I loved the paint scheme on the D.Va so I picked those up as well.

Albatrosses  (Albatrii?)
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/841/40675768595_1d8ac99c74_b.jpg)


SPAD and Neiuport 28
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/789/40675768515_234d699034_b.jpg)


Well, I thought that a single SPAD and a Neiuport vs a Dr.I and two Albatrosses wasn't really a fair match so I.....uhhh....ordered a few more minis.....and a mat.  Sure, I already have six mats for WWII but none of those mats had trenches on them, did they?  The first batch of stuff arrived this morning.  I have another 8 planes on the way and they should be here Monday or Tuesday next week.

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!  YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!  SHUT UP!!!!!


Trench mat

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/918/39760169910_050a83cd99_b.jpg)




Gotha G.V bomber

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/928/26700049207_de4ff50885_b.jpg)

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/27698735318_4b276cffb1_b.jpg)




Aviatik D.I
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/804/26700050147_96e9cf3ed1_b.jpg)


Siemens-Shuckert D.III
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/942/41527652852_bdeac965bd_b.jpg)


Fokker DVIII (called an E.V in WoG)
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/814/41527652722_7447a7fc7d_b.jpg)


SPAD SVII (wing was broken on this one but a little glue fixed it.)
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/825/39760169830_ce78348efe_b.jpg)



Nieuport Ni 28 (Rickenbacker's livery)
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/898/27698735888_c5e757b07a_b.jpg)



Another Nieuport 28
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/822/27698735648_4bfc76caeb_b.jpg)




Blurry Sopwith Triplane
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/866/41568719151_67cf28a4bb_b.jpg)



Even blurrier R.E.8 and Bristol F2.B (my phone doesn't like British planes for some reason)
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/901/41568718981_8e39262f71_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Barthheart on April 19, 2018, 06:24:01 PM
One of us! One of us!
:D

Man I love the look of that trench map!  :o Where you'd get it from and how much? Now that I have Nef's city map I need at least one more... maybe 2.... maybe more....  :P

I have 10 WWI planes and a game buddy has another 5  so we gots lots 'o planes... but none of them big assed bombers.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 06:27:55 PM
I was going to get one of the BIG bombers but the store wanted $81 for the Zeppelins and $74 for the Handley-Pages so I compromised and got the Gotha instead.

I got the mat from Imperial Hobbies in Richmond, BC.  $39.

You can get the mats from Meeplemart for $33.95 ea but they're out of the trench mat right now.  It's called No Man's Land.

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=wings%20of%20glory%20mat (http://www.meeplemart.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=wings%20of%20glory%20mat)
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Barthheart on April 19, 2018, 06:31:00 PM
 O0
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 06:38:37 PM
You might also want to check out Hitgames.ca.  They have a great selection but their customer service is poor and their delivery times are sloowww.  I've ordered through them a few times when I couldn't find something anywhere else.  Takes them a week or more to ship and they won't reply to emails but I've always received my order.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Barthheart on April 19, 2018, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 06:38:37 PM
You might also want to check out Hitgames.ca.  They have a great selection but their customer service is poor and their delivery times are sloowww.  I've ordered through them a few times when I couldn't find something anywhere else.  Takes them a week or more to ship and they won't reply to emails but I've always received my order.

Out of stock there too....  :(
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 19, 2018, 07:09:10 PM
I still don't u derstand why they chose the map dimensions that they did.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 07:15:41 PM
I like them.  They fit nicely on most tables where a 3x3 won't fit.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 19, 2018, 07:22:53 PM
Pretty cool minis.

I unloaded most of my unboxed X-Wing minis but I still have a Feldherr case loaded down with them. Had a local game store offer to possibly give me credit but then he didn't respond to a follow-up so I'm still sitting here with them, too.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2018, 07:41:22 PM
Cleanup in Aisle Gus.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 07:42:27 PM
Don't moisten the miniatures!


Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 09:23:26 PM
The Wings of Glory Aerodrome webpage has the No Man's Land game mat available for $25 USD.

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/official-products-9/wings-of-glory.html (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/official-products-9/wings-of-glory.html)
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: ArizonaTank on April 20, 2018, 08:56:05 AM
where is my wallet/
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:57:21 AM
Gus took it.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Gusington on April 20, 2018, 08:58:28 AM
I hope those minis are rust proof.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:59:02 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2018, 08:58:28 AM
I hope those minis are rust proof.

You're in luck, they are plastic.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
Damn it.  Now I'm going to have to sleeve all the cards though.  Sounds like a job for Bison.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Gusington on April 20, 2018, 10:39:35 AM
Plastic he says...damn. Metal would have been...so metal.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
Sounds like a job for Bison.

He does love his card sleeves.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 10:43:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2018, 10:39:35 AM
Plastic he says...damn. Metal would have been...so metal.

Looks like some kind of secreted resin...
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 10:45:16 AM
I'm not even gonna ask, 'secreted from what?'
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 03:51:12 PM
These guys also make a trenches mat. 


http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/wings (http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/wings)

http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/online-store/WW1-6-x-4-feet-mat-p54109892 (http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/online-store/WW1-6-x-4-feet-mat-p54109892)
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 07:24:05 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2018, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
Sounds like a job for Bison.

He does love his card sleeves.

Safety first
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 07:35:15 PM
Yes...quite.  Especially when there's a moist, slavering Gus skittering about peering over the edge of the table.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 07:42:01 PM
Exactly
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 08:00:35 PM
Dammit, I JUST got over NOT buying the Wings of Glory WW2 Starter Pack. Do not make me do this.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
Just think of the benefit of having the game and a bonus night or ten of silent treatment from the wife that you can use to play the game!
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
Just think of the benefit of having the game and a bonus night or ten of silent treatment from the wife that you can use to play the game!

Sound advice  :bd:
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:16:25 PM
I'm a font of marriage advice whether it helps or hinders relationships is another matter altogether.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 08:16:38 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
Just think of the benefit of having the game and a bonus night or ten of silent treatment from the wife that you can use to play the game!

Oh, to dream of a bonus night or ten of silence!
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:19:42 PM
I recommend not only the starter kit but the entire product line of both WW1 and WW2 models.  Also, have Age of Sails cued up and ready to purchase too.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2018, 08:16:25 PM
I'm a font of marriage advice whether it helps or hinders relationships is another matter altogether.

:bd:
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 08:22:20 PM
Maybe I'll do all that and do a cross-over. Mix in my X-Wing minis versus the WW2 and WW1 ones too?
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:24:18 PM
Might as well. Through in some 1/72 models while you're at it.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: mirth on April 20, 2018, 08:25:08 PM
Give the full Calvin Ball treatment  O0
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 08:59:05 PM
Maybe I should just get the USS Flagg!

(https://78.media.tumblr.com/ddfede2667fad571ab51ce3b458e8964/tumblr_mx8gu3qDuM1qex8cto1_1280.jpg)
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 20, 2018, 08:22:20 PM
Maybe I'll do all that and do a cross-over. Mix in my X-Wing minis versus the WW2 and WW1 ones too?

Well, they do have the Tripods and Triplanes version of Wings of Glory if you want War of the Worlds type sci-fi action.  The developer is also working on a Battlestar Galactica minis game.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Bison on April 20, 2018, 10:13:45 PM
Admittedly my BSG knowledge is limited but how many different spaceships are there?  I only recall the Cylons having multiple different types of combat frames.
Title: Re: Wings of Glory: WWI
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2018, 10:26:02 PM
I don't know.  I'm not very interested in it TBH.  Basically looks like it'll be a direct competitor with X-Wing.  If it were capital ships, I would probably have more interest but I already own Armada and Federation Commander so it's not like I need yet another title covering the same basic concept.