Leonid's War is getting torched in a thread on the "Modern Wargamer" page on FB. Looks as if it has serious playability issues. Anyone break it out yet? Mine is sitting on a shelf in shrink with a play date of this summer.
Dang, another Cold war gone hot game. :bd:
Where's this Facebook post you are referring to?
Try here... pretty damning....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1678552672238695&set=gm.1998413033505305&type=3&theater&ifg=1
Another bad review....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1984173/very-disappointing
Quote from: Barthheart on April 30, 2018, 08:28:38 AM
Try here... pretty damning....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1678552672238695&set=gm.1998413033505305&type=3&theater&ifg=1
QuoteRobert Fairman
Robert Fairman I'll give you $20 for it Ty.
QuoteTy Beard
Ty Beard A generous offer, but I keep my games, even the crappy ones. Also, I have sweated for that game - I clipped every counter with my sooper dooper corner rounder. So, kinda like a Stockholm Syndrome sufferer, I just can't let it go...😁
O0
Quote from: Barthheart on April 30, 2018, 08:41:19 AM
Another bad review....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1984173/very-disappointing
I think that's the same guy with the same review. Not good what he's reporting of course. I just invested on Putin's Northern War and Next War: Poland, so would have passed this one as well, likely. But does sound like a rushed job for sure :-[
Maybe it's a Russian Propaganda tool - you know..."Look how easy it would be for us to crush the West by playing our game"
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459 (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459)
He nailed it at the end:
QuoteYou come across to me as a rabidly angry and hateful person. I've offered clear rationales for all my design decisions, and I'm happy to stand by them. If you scroll up through the posts here, you'll see your reaction to the game hasn't been typical. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed playing the game; there are certainly numerous other titles covering this campaign based more on parameters with which you can agree.
Somewhere I had made a long list of the problems with the map, but of course I cant find it anymore. The map is a flat out travesty. Not only has it limited Germany to a whopping 3-4 terrain types, it is just plain wrong as far as where actual locations are located. The Fulda Gap is 30km away from Wurzburg on the map. In actuality it is 100 Km away. The Schweinfurt area which is pretty much urban and forest terrain, is clear on the map. Lots of urban areas such as Bamburg, Fulda, Schweinfurt, are not even represented, and that is just a small section of the map.
Seems like a quick, no thrills type of game, that you would find in the old Strategy and Tactics magazines.
No offense to Ty Bomba, but if you are putting out so many games per year, Im not surprised by the inaccuracies.
Quote from: mirth on April 30, 2018, 09:38:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459 (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459)
He nailed it at the end:
QuoteYou come across to me as a rabidly angry and hateful person. I've offered clear rationales for all my design decisions, and I'm happy to stand by them. If you scroll up through the posts here, you'll see your reaction to the game hasn't been typical. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed playing the game; there are certainly numerous other titles covering this campaign based more on parameters with which you can agree.
Agreed. Having read the CSW thread further, there's good discussion as why certain design decisions were taken. And this is quite a simple rule set, too. Too many Cold war games around. We are blessed. O:-)
funny that the Fulda Gap is noted on the map, but Fulda itself is not.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 10:07:26 AM
funny that the Fulda Gap is noted on the map, but Fulda itself is not.
[/quote
Not to mention that the actual gap was a NE to SW direction of advance. In the game it is a SE to NW advance.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fasianmil.typepad.com%2F.a%2F6a00d8354be54369e2019affae951f970b-pi&hash=31cb373a81636660afb482141f678e7328400142)
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459
Interesting response. I had not intended to buy the game, but Ty's responses resonate with me... Also on boardgame geek Ted Racier does an interesting AAR.
I would consider buying it now.....but sadly there is no vassal module...
Quote from: bboyer66 on April 30, 2018, 10:02:12 AM
No offense to Ty Bomba, but if you are putting out so many games per year, Im not surprised by the inaccuracies.
I feel a little bit this way about Compass in general. They have a large number of games in the pipeline. I love their games and I am excited about many of the upcoming releases, but I can't help but wonder if QC will slip.
Quote from: mirth on April 30, 2018, 09:38:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459 (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459)
He nailed it at the end:
QuoteYou come across to me as a rabidly angry and hateful person. I've offered clear rationales for all my design decisions, and I'm happy to stand by them. If you scroll up through the posts here, you'll see your reaction to the game hasn't been typical. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed playing the game; there are certainly numerous other titles covering this campaign based more on parameters with which you can agree.
My view is that Ty Bomba has been mailing it in with his recent games, all the same watered down bland crap with maybe one or two half decent ideas in each. He posted his initial rules for his remake of the Central Front series on CSW and they went down like a lead balloon. Bomba was very defensive and quite condescending in his replies there too. Incidentally, Ty Beard, the reviewer, is the creator of the mini rules A Fistful of Tows, which I haven't played but are highly regarded.
Quote from: Pinetree on May 01, 2018, 08:05:41 PM
Incidentally, Ty Beard, the reviewer, is the creator of the mini rules A Fistful of Tows, which I haven't played but are highly regarded.
I looked at Fistful of TOWS several years back. I wasn't terribly impressed. In that CSW thread, Beard comes across as a real prick. I'm not defending Bomba or his responses, but after reading Beard's remarks I was much more sympathetic to Bomba's position.
Quote from: mirth on May 01, 2018, 06:35:43 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on April 30, 2018, 10:02:12 AM
No offense to Ty Bomba, but if you are putting out so many games per year, Im not surprised by the inaccuracies.
I feel a little bit this way about Compass in general. They have a large number of games in the pipeline. I love their games and I am excited about many of the upcoming releases, but I can't help but wonder if QC will slip.
+1