GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: davidshq on May 07, 2018, 08:20:36 PM

Title: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: davidshq on May 07, 2018, 08:20:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a release candidate for Civil War Strategy Game, it is available here: http://www.hutsellgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/cws-2_10.zip

I'm hoping a few of you will download it and give it a try. It should run on most versions of Windows. It is a turn-based 1 or 2 player game simulating the American Civil War at a grand strategic level. Press Alt+Enter to make the game full-screen. Any feedback is appreciated, but I'm especially looking to suss out any remaining bugs!

Thanks,
Dave
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: bbmike on May 08, 2018, 05:32:45 AM
I get errors about some .dll files not being registered when I try to run it.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 08, 2018, 06:36:48 AM
Can you post some screenshots of the game?
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: davidshq on May 08, 2018, 07:11:39 PM
bbmike -  #:-) Thanks for giving it a try...you discovered my first bugs...I forgot to include a few third party DLLs that the app needs to run. I've replaced the file at the previously shared URL with an updated version that includes the DLLs.

Jarhead0331 - Sure. Here is a screenshot:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hutsellgames.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F04%2Fvgastrat.jpg&hash=19b1bca61c1882c639c58a520f89be2c222760da)

Its a pretty old school game, but imho, quite fun. You can complete a game in a few hours. I've been playing earlier versions for the past twenty years or so.

Dave
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: mirth on May 08, 2018, 07:26:20 PM
Hey Dave. I'll try to give it a look in the next day or two. Always appreciated the work you put into your sites.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: davidshq on May 08, 2018, 07:34:45 PM
Thanks mirth! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: GJK on May 12, 2018, 11:32:01 AM
This is really good!


Can you run it in a larger screen?


What is the difference with the "alt map"?
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: GJK on May 12, 2018, 02:52:08 PM
Actually, I found that I have a copy of this same game that was released in 1994:


===========================================================
VGA Civil War Strategy Game version 1.50
(c) 1994 W.R. Hutsell
===========================================================
All files are identical except the .ico and .cfg file.  Are you updating this old title?
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: mirth on May 12, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
^I've played that
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: SirAndrewD on May 12, 2018, 03:05:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
^I've played that

I did too, back when I had hair.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: mirth on May 12, 2018, 03:10:14 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 12, 2018, 03:05:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
^I've played that

I did too, back when I had hair.

Back when I was skinny.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game
Post by: davidshq on May 13, 2018, 08:16:51 PM
@GJK
   - Press Alt+Enter to make the game full-screen.
   - Its an alternate map that has different cities connected so you can travel across different paths. It is quite a different challenge from the primary map. You can swap and back between them by running altmap - first time you run it it changes from primary to alternate map, second time you run it it goes from alternate back to primary.
   - You are correct that this is an old game, I offer the old version on the hutsellgames.com site as well.
   - The big change is in cwstrat.exe, the 1998 update was written in PDS 7.1, a successor to QuickBasic 4.5, both DOS programming platforms. I've revamped the source code to run using QB64, a cross-platform compiler that can create Windows, Linux, and Mac applications (right now only Windows is available). Most of the other files will be identical and most of the changes I made had to do with getting the code to run on contemporary systems without requiring DOSBox...there are minor changes here and there mainly relating to the UI.

Where there any questions I missed answering? Thanks for trying it out!