GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 05:32:25 AM

Title: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 05:32:25 AM
Anyone else used Gamestop Digital? Years ago it used to be something else then it changed to Gamestop and used a PC downloader .

I had dozens of games on it - Tropico, Paradox titles etc. and now there's no downloader and my online order history is blank.

I've contacted Gamestop support but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and how was it fixed. Thanks.

Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Staggerwing on May 27, 2018, 06:15:15 AM
Quote from: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 05:32:25 AM
Anyone else used Gamestop Digital? Years ago it used to be something else then it changed to Gamestop and used a PC downloader .

I had dozens of games on it - Tropico, Paradox titles etc. and now there's no downloader and my online order history is blank.

I've contacted Gamestop support but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and how was it fixed. Thanks.

Was it Direct2Drive or something like that? If so I also had a lot of games on it that I pretty much forgot about. If you save your old computer hard drives after you recycle the computers then check to see if you still have the installers for you games on them. IIRC, you could save those and then reinstall locally any time you wanted.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 07:35:30 AM
It was originally on the 'Impulse' store.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: bbmike on May 27, 2018, 07:41:02 AM
Anything that was on Impulse should be accessible through your Stardock account. I don't know about the other stuff. Now I'm wondering if I had anything on Gamestop digital.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 07:50:32 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 27, 2018, 07:41:02 AM
Anything that was on Impulse should be accessible through your Stardock account. I don't know about the other stuff. Now I'm wondering if I had anything on Gamestop digital.

Just checked -only Stardock products are on it.

From what I can recall, I had Arma II, The Guild II & DLC, Europa Universalis: Rome and several others.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: steve58 on May 27, 2018, 09:36:17 AM
Now I'm concerned as well.  I fired up the old Gamestop app icon I still had on my PC.  Took a while for it to load anything.  The only thing showing is an update for SOASE Trinity.  Can't make it show any other games.  Can't remember all I had at GS, but there were several.  I did notice a "login failed" in the bottom right corner.  I clicked on it to try to login.  After a while I get a msg saying it failed to connect to servers.  I tried resetting my password and still got the same msg. 

Ian, please let up know what you hear from Gamestop CS.  Thanks...

p.s.  I did find a couple of forum links discussing this issue...

https://forums.offworldgame.com/461374/old-old-old-stardock-purchases-gamestop-and-impulsedriven

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/7kuw04/unable_to_get_old_pc_games/


Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Ian C on May 27, 2018, 09:59:27 AM
Thank you Steve. After reading those links I got a feeling I'm screwed. I won't give up though, still waiting for a response.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: bbmike on May 27, 2018, 12:58:58 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering what non-Stardock games I might have had there. Hard to believe that will all of the concern about what happens to our digital games when a site like Steam goes away there wasn't a huge outcry/solution for this.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2018, 01:10:53 PM
I probably have an account with them that I forgot about long ago. I've pretty much stopped buying games I can't add to my Steam library. I can't keep track of all the different accounts where I might have games -  Steam, GoG, D2D, GamersGate, and who the hell knows what else :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: Staggerwing on May 27, 2018, 01:19:37 PM
We should probably all consider downloading and archiving any available installers and keys now while those services are still around. Five years from now who knows? Just one itty-bitty atmospheric EMP and all those megaservers will be wiped. After that we will be back to installing our old games onto dusty attic Pentiums from CDs.

While not defending our postapocalyptic settlements from marauding mutants that is...
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
I used to be better about keeping physical copies of the installers and serials/keys. Steam has made me lazy.
Title: Re: Gamestop Past Orders - Vanished
Post by: mbar on May 27, 2018, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 27, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
I used to be better about keeping physical copies of the installers and serials/keys. Steam has made me lazy.

Me too. I always backed up games but download speeds have increased so much it's just as fast to download as it is to restore from a drive.

With the Impulse sale to Gamestop I just stopped buying games there. I also took every key I got with Impulse and tried registering them at Steam. Got quite a few to work. Games from THQ usually registered.