GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: stolypin on May 29, 2018, 04:57:17 PM

Title: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: stolypin on May 29, 2018, 04:57:17 PM
For the third time in the past 6 years, I picked up a Graviteam Tactics title on sale at Steam.  But like past attempts, my eyes glaze over when I try to read the manual or attempt to play the game.  Not sure whether it's the Russian translation or the sophistication of the games or something else, but the interface is simply beyond me.  (I do just fine with Combat Mission).

Anyone have any hints / tips / tutorials for someone completely new to the system?  I've watched a lot of YouTube videos showing Graviteam Tactics games (e.g. Agrippa Maxentius) but most of these are by experienced gamers who offer little or no instruction. 

Thanks.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: mirth on May 29, 2018, 05:04:18 PM
I recommend heavy drinking.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: bbmike on May 29, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
Good, I've just started.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: mirth on May 29, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 29, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
Good, I've just started.

Then you have some catching up to do.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: bbmike on May 29, 2018, 05:18:01 PM
Aye.
As far as being back on topic (silly me) I would think there has to be tutorials on Youtube somewhere. Even watching the experienced players should help somewhat.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2018, 06:07:29 PM
Just play. Don't worry about learning everything all at once. I guaranty you will have fun even if you don't know what is going on.  Or, run the tutorial scenarios. They give a fair explanation of the UI, movement and firing...the basics.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: mirth on May 29, 2018, 06:11:24 PM
^thank god. A real answer.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: sandman2575 on May 29, 2018, 08:03:46 PM
I honestly think the (apparently widespread) notion that Graviteam's UI is incomprehensible is incredibly overblown. Yes, it's, shall we say, "unique." But it's not counterintuitive, and you really can figure out to how to use it with a little trial and error -- and perhaps a little YouTubing. There are some things that you will need to look up -- like how artillery spotting works -- because that is simply not clear from the UI. But most things are actually pretty straightforward.

And I'd take the Graviteam UI -- especially as it's gotten more refined with Mius Front and Tunisia 1943 -- over Combat Mission's clunky, 1995-vintage UI any day of the week.

The Graviteam games are gems and very much worth putting the work into figuring out how to play. There is a learning curve, but it is not insurmountable by any stretch.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: Hofstadter on May 29, 2018, 11:26:58 PM
Don't read the manual, it's a bit dense. Just watch my, or Agrippas, videos. I think there's an odd ingame tutorial too.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: Boggit on May 30, 2018, 05:57:06 AM
Quote from: stolypin on May 29, 2018, 04:57:17 PM
For the third time in the past 6 years, I picked up a Graviteam Tactics title on sale at Steam.  But like past attempts, my eyes glaze over when I try to read the manual or attempt to play the game.  Not sure whether it's the Russian translation or the sophistication of the games or something else, but the interface is simply beyond me.  (I do just fine with Combat Mission).

Anyone have any hints / tips / tutorials for someone completely new to the system?  I've watched a lot of YouTube videos showing Graviteam Tactics games (e.g. Agrippa Maxentius) but most of these are by experienced gamers who offer little or no instruction. 

Thanks.
Check out Arch Warhammer's Tutorial series. I think they'll be ideal for you...

Here is the first - I think there are 9 in all.


He does a boot camp playlist if you access his channel then select playlists, scroll down until you find his boot camp videos. They really are excellent in my honest opinion, both for newbies and even those with some experience of the game. O0

Enjoy! :)


Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: MengJiao on May 30, 2018, 08:08:59 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 29, 2018, 08:03:46 PM
I honestly think the (apparently widespread) notion that Graviteam's UI is incomprehensible is incredibly overblown. Yes, it's, shall we say, "unique." But it's not counterintuitive, and you really can figure out to how to use it with a little trial and error -- and perhaps a little YouTubing. There are some things that you will need to look up -- like how artillery spotting works -- because that is simply not clear from the UI. But most things are actually pretty straightforward.

And I'd take the Graviteam UI -- especially as it's gotten more refined with Mius Front and Tunisia 1943 -- over Combat Mission's clunky, 1995-vintage UI any day of the week.

The Graviteam games are gems and very much worth putting the work into figuring out how to play. There is a learning curve, but it is not insurmountable by any stretch.

  I remember having some trouble when I started these games, but now (having played them for years) -- I'm pretty useless at explaining how they work.
Title: Re: Any suggestions on how to learn Graviteam Tactics games (Mius Front etc.)?
Post by: demjansk1942 on December 31, 2018, 07:55:53 PM
I played some of the tutorials.  One thing that surprised me is with a little more thought, a tutorial could have been developed that could have reduced the learn curb a great deal.  I'll check out some videos,