GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 03:24:17 PM

Title: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 03:24:17 PM
I did not know where that epic quote came from but it is just sample of some of the worst written lines in video games ever.  :2funny:

https://bit.ly/2stUkTU
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Philippe on June 03, 2018, 03:44:20 PM
The version of it that was used in the Total War games was even less idiomatic ("All your bases are belong to us").  But I doubt that phrase was original to Rome:Total War and as it was probably already part of game culture. It didn't really fit in Rome because it was out of place and too heavy-handed as parody (and if anything, Ptolemaic Egyptians probably had a better command of languages than anyone else).

Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Senex on June 03, 2018, 04:13:33 PM
It's definitely older than Total War Rome.  I heard it back in the console days.
Apparently, its first  appearance was in a bad Japanese-to-English European release of the MegaDrive game "Zero Wing".


Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2018, 04:16:13 PM
Can't see what Gus originally posted, but yeah, All Your Base wasn't from Total War. 

The phrase originated in the very poor English translation of the 1989 Japanese Sega shooter, Zero Wing. 

It became one of the earliest memes when someone made a musical remix of the phrase in 2001 and posted on Newgrounds..

Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 04:17:55 PM
^That's the game referenced in The Chive. Until now I had never heard of it.
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2018, 04:19:56 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 04:17:55 PM
^That's the game referenced in The Chive. Until now I had never heard of it.

Gotcha, your link was showing not found for me.   You missed the boat man, that was a happening thing to share in AOL chat in '01.
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Staggerwing on June 03, 2018, 04:20:46 PM
There were other memes, mostly now forgotten, from that intro as well, such as "He set us up the bomb!"

Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2018, 04:28:25 PM
^For Great Justice!

I still say "What you say?" when I ask my wife to repeat something.
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: DennisS on June 04, 2018, 10:16:37 PM
I have a bright blue t-shirt with "All your base belong to us."

I have another t-shirt that says: "I roll 20's!"  ... this one gets me laughs when I wear it out and about, almost always from folks half my age!
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Michael Dorosh on June 04, 2018, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 04:17:55 PM
^That's the game referenced in The Chive. Until now I had never heard of it.

Spoiler: Leeroy Jenkins isn't a real guy.
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: mirth on June 04, 2018, 10:33:38 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 04, 2018, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2018, 04:17:55 PM
^That's the game referenced in The Chive. Until now I had never heard of it.

Spoiler: Leeroy Jenkins isn't a real guy.

Wha?!
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Gusington on June 05, 2018, 08:10:11 AM
I've waited years for Michael Dorosh to make a funny and this is it?
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Nefaro on June 06, 2018, 10:55:48 AM
Quote from: Philippe on June 03, 2018, 03:44:20 PM
The version of it that was used in the Total War games was even less idiomatic ("All your bases are belong to us").

You want a real Total War meme?

~~>

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F000%2F208%2F367%2FSHAMEFURDISPRAY.jpg&hash=453e9f2c3359a1469d9672b03273238c4cfeab36)
Title: Re: Congraturation: All Your Base Belong to Us
Post by: Sir Slash on June 06, 2018, 11:26:12 AM
Mattell Intellivision had the first talking game stuff I remember. B-17 Bomber-- a distinctly southern, "That was... OWN TARR-GITT"!  "Fighters, -O'clock. Watch Em". and when a flak round hit too close, "That was close"! Funny as hell at the time.