GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Barthheart on June 29, 2018, 05:00:29 AM

Title: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Barthheart on June 29, 2018, 05:00:29 AM


Long weekend up here with Canada Day!  :D

More Stellaris.

More Armageddon War on the table.

And a lot more beer and pool time with the heat wave coming. O0

Have fun and stay cool all!
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 29, 2018, 05:09:15 AM
Happy Canada Day  O0 I'll be there in August - can't wait   :bd:

No gaming for me. I'm working on my Bristol Beaufighter tonight and then going to pick my daughter, boyfriend and new member of the family, a puppy called Bonnie, up from Sheffield. She's finished university at last with a very impressive First  O0 :notworthy: as well as fitting in her driving lessons and passing first time.

Glad to have her back and very proud.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: JasonPratt on June 29, 2018, 05:51:51 AM
Inb4 the "phrasing"...? wow.

Overtime schedule at work is eroding my will to continue living, but:

• Dave (from the Crisis Grogs) and I may be able to finish our iPhone duel of Le Havre. (The full version not the 2-player "Inland Port" version.)

• I expect to get at least one more turnaround of the Grogfest massive multiplayer duels of Classic Strategic Command wherein Shelldrake is currently defending Russia against my Nazi invasion.

• Speaking of the Crisis Grogs, I'd like to get back to finishing up the recreation of our Fire in the Lake match AAR.

• Speaking of the Crisis Grogs and COIN games, we're currently burning through a long campaign of Falling Sky where I'm waffling around as the proto-Belgians trying to figure out how to juggle the French, the Italians, and the Germans. At least the Germans are willing to do what I say sometimes! -- but I've already had to deal with them invading France through the Ardennes once. (I'm planning to recreate this match in TTS, too, eventually.)

• Speaking of video AARs, I don't plan to do another episode of "Operazione E" in Desert War until I've played several turns in a row, since (1) by now there are no new mechanics for me to demonstrate, and (2) my other two divisions (or are they corps) have just released. So I'll be looking for ways to speed the replay(s) along more efficiently.

• Speaking of TTS, video AARs, Crisis Grog multiplayer, and efficiency, I'm planning our autumn+ game already, hoping to open it up to a Grogheads forum game, namely a GM'd forum epic campaign of the legendary political monster REPUBLIC OF ROME!

(https://cf.geekdo-images.com/original/img/d-ea6v2G86uJxjduZ9GOMgE5f2I=/0x0/pic487045.jpg)

-- from the founding of the Republic against the tyrant king Tarquinius through to the pre-Christ civil war era that eventually spawned the Empire. (Theoretically we could continue into the sequel from there, but really the goal of the first game is to win together by preserving the Republic, including against ambitious players trying to be the only winner.)

Pursuant to that, I've been creating a polished rules flowchart for GMing the game in asynch chat, and I've got almost enough snapshots of the later-edition pieces to create my first TTS module (albeit one with local files, not publicly uploaded) which not only will look better than the current module (as decent as that is) but which will also keep me from having to rely on dodgy Russian image links.

The game (in my tweaked version) can handle up to 8 players, each of whom would be assigned a faction with special abilities. I'd GM the game here on the forum, allowing players to pm each other with secret discussions and deals, and allowing me to pm players with upkeep information about the cards they've currently got. But aside from a few cards in the hand, this game has no secret information (faction cash, technically, but for asynch purposes we can waive that), so I'd be able to update players with snapshots from the game board.

Anyway, I'll be posting an interest-inquiry later this summer, probably August, to see if up-to-three more players (and potential backups for any dropouts) want to join.  O:-)

QuotePlayers make proposals to the Senate which other players then vote on. A player's ability to make proposals is determined by which Offices his/her Senators hold. A player's influence in votes is determined by the number of Senators they have recruited and the level of influence those Senators have obtained. Proposals may include assigning Senators to governor provinces (generating revenue), recruiting an army to fight an external foe, addressing the concerns of the Roman people, assigning offices or prosecuting previous office holders. Players have to co-operate to overcome the various threats that the game sends against Rome (wars, famine, unrest, bankruptcy) whilst working to build their own Senators' and Generals' positions and undermine that of their opponents. A powerful General or an influential Senator may become Emperor (thus winning the game) but equally may suddenly fall to the plague or an assassin's blade.

(https://cf.geekdo-images.com/large/img/aLvYKbSm-FpNoiIY3UUNtDf3KI0=/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:no_upscale()/pic504618.jpg)

(https://cf.geekdo-images.com/large/img/6TAk2DMqaCQhhEucJ60g7XzkhhE=/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:no_upscale()/pic649472.jpg)
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Tuna on June 29, 2018, 05:55:14 AM
I think that was a Friday Thread Violation!!!!!...


Getting ready for Hot Weekend (Hopefully my video card will behave).. Probably continue Rome 2 Total War Egypt Campaign. Still haven't bought anything in the steam sale, so may have to break down there.

Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on June 29, 2018, 06:03:19 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 29, 2018, 05:51:51 AM

• Speaking of TTS, video AARs, Crisis Grog multiplayer, and efficiency, I'm planning our autumn+ game already, hoping to open it up to a Grogheads forum game, namely a GM'd forum epic campaign of the legendary political monster REPUBLIC OF ROME!


This seems relevant to my interests, please keep us informed!

Not sure how much digital gaming I'll get in - I'm trying out War of the Zombie and COH2: Ardennes Assault at the moment, but I'm hoping to have a quick play of the Triplanetary 2018 game with my fiance. We're going to do the two-player scenario that's simply a race.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
People called Romanes, they go the house!

Heroes of the Nam is arriving today and going straight to the table to kick of a week off from work! I also received Rise of Tribes out of the blue so the wife and I will give that a try at some point. I've been kind of anti-computer games lately so I don't know if I'll get any PC gaming time in (unless it's Vassal).
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 29, 2018, 07:28:02 AM
Working...☹️
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Dammit Carl! on June 29, 2018, 07:28:25 AM
Man.  Firmly file this week under "Where did the time go?"

Not much planned except the ever present yardwork - if the weather works in my favor.  And if I get the new (old) truck today, I'll pull Ol' Blue (my old / old truck) off and start prepping it for the Daughter's use.  She's going to be a Redneck's dream girl; has a truck, fishes, ain't afraid of construction work, etc.

Have fun all and see you out there in RO2 &/or RS2 land.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Tuna on June 29, 2018, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
People called Romanes, they go the house!

Heroes of the Nam is arriving today and going straight to the table to kick of a week off from work! I also received Rise of Tribes out of the blue so the wife and I will give that a try at some point. I've been kind of anti-computer games lately so I don't know if I'll get any PC gaming time in (unless it's Vassal).

Where do you guys find these gaming wives! Although I guess I can't complain where my wife has no objections to my gaming!
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 07:43:08 AM
Quote from: Tuna on June 29, 2018, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
People called Romanes, they go the house!

Heroes of the Nam is arriving today and going straight to the table to kick of a week off from work! I also received Rise of Tribes out of the blue so the wife and I will give that a try at some point. I've been kind of anti-computer games lately so I don't know if I'll get any PC gaming time in (unless it's Vassal).

Where do you guys find these gaming wives! Although I guess I can't complain where my wife has no objections to my gaming!

You already have one!  :P

Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Barthheart on June 29, 2018, 08:05:04 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
People called Romanes, they go the house!
....

One of my all time favourite movies!

Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: jamus34 on June 29, 2018, 08:16:01 AM
JP - That actually looks really interesting.

Should have a pretty good amount of time this weekend and with the impending heatwave I plan on being indoors.

In no particular order Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Tyranny, Cold Waters, Atlantic Fleet, Monster Hunter World and whatever else draws my fancy.

Also looking to see what projects / hobbies I'm interested in that I can get into at a relative low price point. I'm hoping that may help with some of the issues I've been dealing with mentioned elsewhere on the board.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2018, 08:49:33 AM
Probably some ARMA 3 and VTOL VR tonight, but not much gaming otherwise...leaving early tomorrow morning for the Jersey Shore. Probably won't be home until late Sunday night.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Cyrano on June 29, 2018, 08:55:00 AM
I love doing Origins, but I haven't quite been right for two weeks...damn...

Anyway:

"Holy Grail" is the classic, funnier movie.

"Life of Brian" is the best comedy of the 20th Century.  @me.  I used to use it to teach the politics of the Roman Empire to undergraduates.  Its depiction of the theological debates of the First Century is transcendent.

JTS playtesting X2

Battle of Auerstedt (JTS)

Want to take at least two more cracks at Glenn Drover's "Victory and Glory".  Napoleonic worker placement.  Everything is better with Napoleon in it.

I now have waiting:

1806 (Doug has obviously been playing the devil out of this)
Abbadon -- Hey, it's a Borg game and I got it for $10.  It's got a hojillion pieces...
Hitler's Reich
Napoleon -- Resolved by Eagles...I owe myself this...
Napoleon's Last Battles
Seal Team Flix (Vance's fault)
Sergeants! D-Day -- Played once, but I really enjoyed the smaller footprint and want to try other scenarios.  Were I Lost Battalion I might have thought twice about releasing this.
Sun of York
Won by the Sword

And that sound you hear in the distance is a forum KRIEGSSPIEL coming to consume the next year and a half of your life.



Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Barthheart on June 29, 2018, 09:04:22 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on June 29, 2018, 08:55:00 AM
...
"Holy Grail" is the classic, funnier movie.

"Life of Brian" is the best comedy of the 20th Century.  @me.  I used to use it to teach the politics of the Roman Empire to undergraduates.  Its depiction of the theological debates of the First Century is transcendent.

Truth!  \m/

Quote

....
I now have waiting:
....
Seal Team Flix (Vance's fault)

>:D

Quote
.....
And that sound you hear in the distance is a forum KRIEGSSPIEL coming to consume the next year and a half of your life.

Huzzah!  :bd:
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: jamus34 on June 29, 2018, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2018, 08:49:33 AM
Probably some ARMA 3 and VTOL VR tonight, but not much gaming otherwise...leaving early tomorrow morning for the Jersey Shore. Probably won't be home until late Sunday night.

Just an FYI Jersey might be having a government shutdown. It wouldn't start until Sunday but it would close all state parks and beaches.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 10:40:26 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 29, 2018, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2018, 08:49:33 AM
Probably some ARMA 3 and VTOL VR tonight, but not much gaming otherwise...leaving early tomorrow morning for the Jersey Shore. Probably won't be home until late Sunday night.

Just an FYI Jersey might be having a government shutdown. It wouldn't start until Sunday but it would close all state parks and beaches.

Except for one of those beaches. It's still open for the Governor.  :-"
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Gusington on June 29, 2018, 11:00:41 AM
^ :2funny:

Back from Baseball Pilgrimage 2018 to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. After a week of no gaming, I think I will put aside the ancients for a time and go back in to The Witcher 3 for a while (Blood and Wine), perhaps start a Tomb Kings campaign in Warhammer 2: Total War and maybe start Tyranny.

Happy Canada Day!
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: Sir Slash on June 29, 2018, 12:01:02 PM
Happy Canada Day indeed Canucks. Is this the one day of the year everything's not covered with ice and 3 feet of snow? Anyway, I'll have a Canadian Mist for you all later. Right now I'm still learning the details of that annoyingly addictive little bauble, Battle Academy and for something with a little depth, Charlemagne Total War as Asturias. Have a great weekend Grogs.
Title: Re: Clap for the Friday
Post by: jamus34 on June 29, 2018, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 29, 2018, 10:40:26 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 29, 2018, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2018, 08:49:33 AM
Probably some ARMA 3 and VTOL VR tonight, but not much gaming otherwise...leaving early tomorrow morning for the Jersey Shore. Probably won't be home until late Sunday night.

Just an FYI Jersey might be having a government shutdown. It wouldn't start until Sunday but it would close all state parks and beaches.

Except for one of those beaches. It's still open for the Governor.  :-"

Yeah don't get me started on the assholeness of NJ government.

Trust me, if I could leave this state...I would.