GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 11:07:24 AM

Title: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 11:07:24 AM
I recently picked up another vintage gaming computer to go with my Amiga, C-64, and Apple IIc...

... an Atari 800XL. I also got an early Chris Crawford wargame on cartridge, Eastern Front 1941, which was iirc, also released on disk and cassette for other systems at the time.

Both together:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgrogheads.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D22770.0%3Battach%3D13317%3Bimage&hash=88c171dc5f00039f5fe2ff21ebe1e1e7e7a85a5b)

What 8-bit wargames do the rest of you fondly remember from that era?



Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2018, 11:13:38 AM
Wow. What a dinosaur.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 11:18:56 AM
Next on my list of desired vintage computers are the TRS-80 Coco 2/3 and Atari 520ST/1040ST. The latter pair are still highly sought after by many musicians due to the built in MIDI ports.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Toonces on August 11, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
That's awesome, man!

I always wanted to play Reforger '88.  I had a bootleg copy back in the day, but never had a rulebook so I didn't understand how to work the UI. 
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 11:49:57 AM
This one?




Here's the Atari version manual, I imagine most commands would be similar on other platforms: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-reforger--88_4334.html
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Sir Slash on August 11, 2018, 11:58:32 AM
Battles of Napoleon by SSI. Also Red Storm Rising.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: IronX on August 11, 2018, 12:06:12 PM
Mech Brigade, 1985 on C64. Couldn't get enough of it.

(https://i.imgur.com/FE0F62Z.png)
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: MikeGER on August 11, 2018, 12:20:09 PM
Kampfgruppe !  O0
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: bobarossa on August 11, 2018, 12:54:59 PM
USAAF for my Atari 800.  I played it occasionally until about 10 years ago (when I got Bombing the Reich).  Just sold my old Atari computers and games (800XL and 520ST) last year to a friend who runs a vintage computer store on Ebay.  Don't know if I have a link. 
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: airboy on August 11, 2018, 04:06:45 PM
I am happy for you!
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Gusington on August 11, 2018, 05:04:00 PM
Star Raiders on the Atari ST - my uncle showed me that game on his ST in his basement around 1984 and I haven't been the same since.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 05:46:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2018, 05:04:00 PM
Star Raiders on the Atari ST - my uncle showed me that game on his ST in his basement around 1984 and I haven't been the same since.

Star Raiders on cartridge actually came with the 800XL when I bought it (along with Pac-Man). I'll be checking both out later tonight.

Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Gusington on August 11, 2018, 06:03:23 PM
Post pics or lose me forever!
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 11, 2018, 06:28:41 PM
I have to track down the manual. I tried playing without it and couldn't figure out wtf I was doing. I'll try and post a screenie or two a little later. Also, that classic Atari joystick sux bigtime. It might need rebuilding or something. It barely moves around at all and is painful to hold. I seem to recall that there was a repetitive stress injury officially named after it.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Gusington on August 11, 2018, 06:32:11 PM
^Ah the memories
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Greybriar on August 12, 2018, 07:48:01 AM
I have retained a number of my old computers over the past 20+ years but an Atari 800XL predates all of them. Congratulations, Staggerwing.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: OJsDad on August 12, 2018, 08:16:15 AM
Great acquisition Stags.  The 800XL was my second computer, the first being a Sinclair ZX81. 

Eastern Front was the first strategy game I played, that I recall.  Reforger 88 and Kampfgruppe were also highly played. 

One other non war game I remember playing a lot was an olympic game that came out for the 84 summer games. 
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Staggerwing on August 12, 2018, 09:39:29 AM
Thanks guys.

Gus, sorry for no pix last night. My vintage 1084S monitor was having issues so I'll try again tonight with a  LCD TV I have somewhere.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 12, 2018, 09:59:22 AM
Red Lightning (1989) - one of my favorites. Loved loved loved the off-map battles for Iceland and Norway and being able to commit troops to those theaters. Also loved the generic air power - I didn't want to get too detailed with either of those and this game handled them perfectly for my tastes.



Then Crusade in Europe, Conflict in Vietnam, NATO Commander, and Decision in the Desert, all excellent games.



Both of these I first played on an Apple IIc (my grandfather's).
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Toonces on August 12, 2018, 12:32:51 PM
Star Raiders  :smitten:

Yeah, that's the Reforger '88 I was talking about.  Man 'Wing, you are bringing back some serious memories.  I had an Atari 1200XL...thrown away long, long ago.  Those were such good gaming times.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: DennisS on August 12, 2018, 01:34:34 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 11, 2018, 11:58:32 AM
Battles of Napoleon by SSI. Also Red Storm Rising.  :smitten:

I played RSR until my fingers bled...the FIRST great wargame (computer based) that I loved. That, and F117A.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Toonces on August 12, 2018, 01:42:04 PM
If you liked RSR you should give Cold Waters a close look.  It's a very nice modern re-interpretation of RSR...they really did a nice job with it.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: Gusington on August 12, 2018, 03:01:07 PM
Gunship! 1986, MicroProse. Probably my favorite game of all time. Besides all the others.
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 13, 2018, 07:34:28 AM
M-1 Tank Platoon, also. Steel Thunder was another one I liked a lot. (MicroProse and Accolade, respectively.)
Title: Re: Eight-bit wargaming
Post by: FlickJax on August 13, 2018, 07:53:49 AM
Arnhem and Desert rats on the Spectrum