GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on August 22, 2018, 08:23:36 PM

Title: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 22, 2018, 08:23:36 PM
Read an article and then also saw on Steam, looks like available before end of August....looking forward to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/Commands__Colors_Ancients/
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Gusington on August 22, 2018, 09:12:24 PM
Wow that came out of nowhere, eh? I need to play their WWI game soon.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on August 23, 2018, 03:25:25 AM
This was supposed to come out July 27th. When that date rolled around they changed the Steam page to simply read 'August 2018'. Not much of August left now...
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 23, 2018, 04:07:28 AM
according to pc gamer, it is suppose to happen but we will see

https://www.pcgamer.com/commands-and-colors-ancients-brings-roman-warfare-to-steam-by-end-of-august/
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: jomni on August 23, 2018, 06:30:18 AM
Video says "out now".
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: RyanE on August 23, 2018, 07:26:32 AM
Even if its not out, are there any opinions on how it compares to Field of Glory 1/2?  Just curious if you have one, do you need the other?
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 23, 2018, 06:14:38 PM
Fair question...no idea myself but I like the ancient period and assuming its price is under $20 like the other games, I'll likely gamble on it.  But certainly doesn't seem to have as much content as FOG and I don't think it has skirmish or random type battles.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: jomni on August 23, 2018, 08:29:42 PM
Quote from: RyanE on August 23, 2018, 07:26:32 AM
Even if its not out, are there any opinions on how it compares to Field of Glory 1/2?  Just curious if you have one, do you need the other?

I played the boardgame.  Totally different. This one is a card-based board game conversion (hence the hexes).  Not minis.  This will be fairly simpler than FOG II rules.  And very very random. You know where my vote goes (though I'm biased)
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Destraex on August 24, 2018, 01:28:02 AM
FOG2 rules are already pretty simple if what my tester friend (not you jomni :) ) tells me.

* No fatigue he thinks - was some time ago he play tested it
* No regular or irregular troops and no formations
* Morale seems suspect - 2-3 guys routing and others seemed fine

His point was that a lot was sacrificed to make sure it was like the particular table top game they chose.

I particulary would love:
- A WEGO ancient game
- A game with GIF like animations of massive total war like formations that I could actually see! But on the FOG style map and graphics. Very clear very neat and tidy. No silly effects.
- Very realistic formations and continuous lines  - in FOG2 a phalanx looks very strange the way it turns and or is not connected to it's nerghboring hexes phalanx.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Anguille on August 24, 2018, 03:51:28 AM
Seems like a nice little game on the go (train etc).
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on August 24, 2018, 10:34:26 AM
Looks like they finally realised what the date was. The release estimate on the Steam page has changed from 'August 2018' to 'Coming Soon'.

This probably means they're not especially confident of getting it out next month either (or otherwise just want to cover themselves a bit more), so god knows when this'll actually release now. I feel sorry for the guys at GMT.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: jomni on August 24, 2018, 05:56:26 PM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 24, 2018, 10:34:26 AM
Looks like they finally realised what the date was. The release estimate on the Steam page has changed from 'August 2018' to 'Coming Soon'.

Oh...
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Thomasew on September 12, 2018, 08:22:46 AM
.. Released ..  :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/

Cheers
Tom
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: MC on September 12, 2018, 08:31:19 AM
Quote from: Thomasew on September 12, 2018, 08:22:46 AM
.. Released ..  :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/

Cheers
Tom

https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/Commands__Colors_Ancients/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/699870/Commands__Colors_Ancients/)

On sale for $13.99, 30% off. 
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Philippe on September 12, 2018, 08:37:20 AM
This looks pretty simplistic compared to FOG II.

I must say that I've found pretty much everything Hexwar does fairly disappointing.  GMT hasn't figured out that when you do a port you're very likely to end up with the worst of both worlds.

A shame, because there are a lot of GMT games that I would love to see in digital form, but they need to be redesigned, and with Hexwar that isn't going to happen.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: FlickJax on September 12, 2018, 09:50:05 AM
Looks like a tablet game :(  like the styling to a degree but not the scale.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: jomni on September 12, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
There seems to be no multiplayer
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Nefaro on September 12, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
Quote from: jomni on September 12, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
There seems to be no multiplayer

I'd think that essential for this game.  :(
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: Bardolph on September 12, 2018, 10:44:02 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 12, 2018, 08:37:20 AM
This looks pretty simplistic compared to FOG II.

I must say that I've found pretty much everything Hexwar does fairly disappointing.  GMT hasn't figured out that when you do a port you're very likely to end up with the worst of both worlds.

A shame, because there are a lot of GMT games that I would love to see in digital form, but they need to be redesigned, and with Hexwar that isn't going to happen.

This. CC:A is a great boardgame. I won't touch this port with someone else's ten foot pole.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on September 13, 2018, 03:29:49 AM
I do wonder who GMT talk to when they try to shop around for digital partners. In fairness, there can't be many candidates for them to choose... they renewed their deal with Playdek after HexWar was already announced as the developers of CC:A, so maybe from now one they'll try PD. I'd love to see what Slitherine/Matrix do with a license like this - I guess it depends which dev team they give it too as some are definitely better than others.

I don't think the Lordz, for example, were perhaps the best team to give Check your 6! too... but maybe the OoB guys, or Shenandoah?

Beyond that though... I mean who would you guys pick to develop this? HexWar have sort-of built a reputation on cheap digital wargames and some semi-decent license ports, but they're the kind of company where "you get what you pay for" springs to mind. If you wanted to have someone put some real effort in... Nomad Games now have the Quartermaster General license, and have a proven record with many FFG licenses. Maybe they could give it a shot.

Not sure who else you'd turn too beyond that.
Title: Re: Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August
Post by: MengJiao on September 13, 2018, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on September 13, 2018, 03:29:49 AM
I do wonder who GMT talk to when they try to shop around for digital partners. In fairness, there can't be many candidates for them to choose... they renewed their deal with Playdek after HexWar was already announced as the developers of CC:A, so maybe from now one they'll try PD. I'd love to see what Slitherine/Matrix do with a license like this - I guess it depends which dev team they give it too as some are definitely better than others.

I don't think the Lordz, for example, were perhaps the best team to give Check your 6! too... but maybe the OoB guys, or Shenandoah?

Beyond that though... I mean who would you guys pick to develop this? HexWar have sort-of built a reputation on cheap digital wargames and some semi-decent license ports, but they're the kind of company where "you get what you pay for" springs to mind. If you wanted to have someone put some real effort in... Nomad Games now have the Quartermaster General license, and have a proven record with many FFG licenses. Maybe they could give it a shot.

Not sure who else you'd turn too beyond that.

  Yep, this is an odd problem.  Except for Vassal (which is great -- and apparently games can be reworked a bit to function better on vassal) -- I'm not sure any board-to-computer transfers have worked well.  I don't think FG2 compares well with the boardgame Hoplite for example (though its not a direct transfer, there seems to be some loss of focus in going from a board game about a period to a more generalized representation.