GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: CJReich46 on July 10, 2019, 11:06:21 AM

Title: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: CJReich46 on July 10, 2019, 11:06:21 AM
We have a Gloomhaven update from Asmodee .

Early Access on Steam next week

July 17th!!

You may now resume your loin moistening...

Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: acctingman on July 10, 2019, 03:40:06 PM
CRAP

On vacation until Aug 1...but....I should be happy that I'm on vacation and I shouldn't be thinking about a PC game.....right?  #:-)
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2019, 05:26:30 PM
Absolutely not. What better time to moisten the old loins?
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 10, 2019, 05:58:41 PM
A lot of loins are getting moistened around here lately.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 10, 2019, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 10, 2019, 05:58:41 PM
A lot of loins are getting moistened around here lately.

How come MY loins are dry? What does a guy have to do to get his loins worked on around here?
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Con on July 10, 2019, 08:02:59 PM
Well if you have a billion dollars apparently you can go and recruit illegal loin moistening with impunity
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2019, 09:02:30 PM
WE DO NOT ENDORSE ILLEGAL LOIN MOISTENING.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Nefaro on July 11, 2019, 09:43:45 AM
Nice.

I still have yet to finish sleeving the cards, and painting some of the minis, in the massive tabletop game sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

At least having a digital version will save a lot of time.  The setup and tear-down time looks maddening on the real thing.  Even with all the components sorted into marked bins.  :o
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Tpek on July 11, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
Is the digital version going to be a true adaptation of the board game?
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 12, 2019, 04:28:53 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 11, 2019, 09:43:45 AM
Nice.

I still have yet to finish sleeving the cards, and painting some of the minis, in the massive tabletop game sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

At least having a digital version will save a lot of time.  The setup and tear-down time looks maddening on the real thing.  Even with all the components sorted into marked bins.  :o

I have been running a Gloomhaven campaign since last September. Setup takes about 20 minutes. The family is due over this Sunday at 2 pm, and I will start setting up at 1:30 pm.

I'm getting better. All the cards are in alphabetical order, as are all the game boards. Everything each player needs is in one small plastic bag, placed on the table in front of them. City events, road events, and marketplace options are all readily available, as are the daily quests. From arrival time to the actual gameplay is under ten minutes. We do one scenario per gameplay session..takes between 90 minutes and three hours.

My group is good, and getting better. I am cranking up the difficulty, which gets them MORE experience, MORE town prosperity, and MORE money to buy cool sh!t for their characters. I believe we have done 16 missions. No one has completed their lifetime achievements..although two of them are close.

Each time a character completes their lifetime achievement, this will change the game dramatically, based on the new character they choose. They do have the ability to keep their old one..but where's the fun in that!
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: airboy on July 12, 2019, 09:23:53 PM
 BBmike plays this with his wife most every week.

I'm interested, but unless I got a review copy I'll probably wait a year after release
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 14, 2019, 09:35:20 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 12, 2019, 09:23:53 PM
BBmike plays this with his wife most every week.

I'm interested, but unless I got a review copy I'll probably wait a year after release

Only four characters available at release. If this isn't the group you want to run for a 400 hour long campaign, then tough.

Also..I don't believe that the campaign is available. I THINK that there are semi-random missions, only. Not sure on that one.

Either way, this is not a day one purchase. If each of the new character types is a DLC, then that will be 12-20 DLC's...and that just ain't gonna happen, not when I have already dropped $100 on the board game.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Tpek on July 17, 2019, 08:16:19 AM
It's out on Steam.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 17, 2019, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: Tpek on July 17, 2019, 08:16:19 AM
It's out on Steam.

The reviews are generally positive...with a couple of comments.

No multi-player, no campaigns, and just four character types available to start. Two more will unlock after 8 boss fights.

These are all semi-randomly generated missions. Not linked, not part of a campaign.

I am going to hold off on this for awhile. I am happy there isn't a campaign, as my board game group has completed about a dozen of them, and I don't want spoilers.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: bbmike on July 18, 2019, 07:30:26 AM
It is early access so there is no campaign, no multiplayer, and no modding support (all three will be added). Right now there is only a mini-campaign where you must defeat three bosses on a Gloomhaven style map. It does seem to have road encounters, no sure about city encounters yet. It follows the rules of the board game closely as far as I can tell. In fact, this might be a good way to learn the board game for those interested in that. My only complaint is the UI and that's only because I've played the board game so much. Right now it is difficult for me to tell what I can do/have done (when you play the board game you can see everything). Not so with the digital version so far but I suspect that will be fixed. People are already pointing it out in the Steam forums. All said, I did have fun with the first scenario.  :)
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 20, 2019, 10:01:44 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 18, 2019, 07:30:26 AM
It is early access so there is no campaign, no multiplayer, and no modding support (all three will be added). Right now there is only a mini-campaign where you must defeat three bosses on a Gloomhaven style map. It does seem to have road encounters, no sure about city encounters yet. It follows the rules of the board game closely as far as I can tell. In fact, this might be a good way to learn the board game for those interested in that. My only complaint is the UI and that's only because I've played the board game so much. Right now it is difficult for me to tell what I can do/have done (when you play the board game you can see everything). Not so with the digital version so far but I suspect that will be fixed. People are already pointing it out in the Steam forums. All said, I did have fun with the first scenario.  :)

Go find the sticker set for Gloomhaven, costs around $10. Very cool to put the achievements on the board, and they have a massive listing of all scenario numbers, with two check boxes each. We mark off the first one when that scenario is unlocked, and the second when complete. Twice now we have taken a fork, which shut off a scenario completely. No spoilers...
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Bardolph on July 21, 2019, 12:25:00 AM
I like it so far. Only played a little under two hours. Took me three tries to get through the first encounter. First two times I ran out of cards. Then I remembered from reading  the rules a while back that some cards go away when you use them and made a point to be careful with those cards and finally won.

Definitely a lot missing from the boardgame, but as much as I hate to say it is is clearly Early Access and they got my money when they stated multiplayer was IN, and that the boardgame campaign was also in the works for the finished product. Now I don't have to open my copy of Gloomhaven anytime soon lol.

A lot of the negative reviews are predictable. People who can't read/don't understand:
A: Early Access
B: There is no tutorial yet due to A
C: That it is a digital version of a boardgame
D: That the rest will come later.

I saw several comments from people complaining about "bugs" when it was pretty clear from what they were describing they simply hadn't figured out the interface.
I'm sure there are bugs, but so far I haven't run into anything memorable.
My major gripe at this point is the item durability thing, a mechanic I hate in pretty much any game and sadly they currently have it here. It's not in the boardgame and I hope they rethink it. There are a number of folks talking about it on Steam.

If ya have any interest in the boardgame it is probably worth a try.
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: mbar on July 21, 2019, 08:27:21 AM
Thanks for the write up. I've watched a few letsplays and like what I see. Never heard of it until this post. It's in my cart! Bought!
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: DennisS on July 22, 2019, 05:20:26 PM
Quote from: mbar on July 21, 2019, 08:27:21 AM
Thanks for the write up. I've watched a few letsplays and like what I see. Never heard of it until this post. It's in my cart! Bought!

I am THIS close to purchasing it..but i want Voxel Tycoon too, and only have the money for one. Review please!!!
Title: Re: Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!
Post by: Bardolph on July 24, 2019, 12:57:14 AM
So after playing right up to my two hour mark, I took a break and watched some videos and read some reviews and ended up refunding.
There is potential, but it isn't there yet and I wrote my initial post under the happy glow of just having beaten the first encounter.

This guy does a good job of breaking things down, and includes some concerns I have, and a lot more stuff he found that I hadn't run into or even thought of yet.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/780290/discussions/0/1643169632562200374/

Back on the sidelines and will keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.