GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on November 26, 2019, 11:27:17 AM

Title: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Zulu1966 on November 26, 2019, 11:27:17 AM
Fun Little Game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1163910/Brass_Brigade/
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: mbar on November 26, 2019, 11:49:30 AM
Looks fun. I will be buying that.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 01:15:49 PM
That looks...awesome! Kinda reminds me of the old Commando arcade game in a weird way. How can I go wrong for 7 fiddy?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Barthheart on November 26, 2019, 01:21:55 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting.  :bd:

Art looks similar to Second Front stuff shown here on GH : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23758.0
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 01:37:52 PM
Definitely.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Bardolph on November 26, 2019, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2019, 01:21:55 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting.  :bd:

Art looks similar to Second Front stuff shown here on GH : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23758.0

From here:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/toon-soldiers-ww2-edition-56250
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Barthheart on November 26, 2019, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on November 26, 2019, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2019, 01:21:55 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting.  :bd:

Art looks similar to Second Front stuff shown here on GH : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23758.0

From here:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/toon-soldiers-ww2-edition-56250

Cool! Who knew?!?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Ian C on November 26, 2019, 03:12:18 PM
Great buy for the price. Easy to jump into huge battles for a quick fix action and lots of fun.  The bots play so well it's hard not to think this in single-player only. It reminds me of MP on Call of Duty 1 and Medal of Honour 1 on PC.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Barthheart on November 26, 2019, 03:39:34 PM
This is great fun! Mindless shoot'em up. AI is so good I had to turn it down.  :D
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Sir Slash on November 26, 2019, 07:39:54 PM
I think the little cartoon-Nazi's are too cute to shoot. They're like puppies without waggly tails.  :smitten:
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 09:17:18 PM
I can feel it...I am going to become addicted to this game.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Sir Slash on November 26, 2019, 10:51:51 PM
What's the 'Loin-Moistening Meter' up to now?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2019, 11:30:24 PM
Stop making me spend money you worthless reprobates.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: mbar on November 27, 2019, 08:52:52 AM
There are many classes of units to chose from. Only done the tutorial so far but surprisingly there is much to do and learn. Basic shooting is a bit "meh" and the controls feel a bit floaty and imprecise. Choosing between standing, kneeling and prone improves aim respectively.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Ian C on November 27, 2019, 09:43:47 AM
It perfectly recreates the lunatic action of multiplayer on CoD and MoH in the early 2000's.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: mbar on November 27, 2019, 10:04:23 AM
I played Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, and Battlefield 2 to death. I enjoy the back and forth capturing of control points. Ravenfield does it pretty well and Brass Brigade is looking better and better the more I play.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 12:22:23 PM
Loin-Moistening Level 7.

Out of 6.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Rayfer on November 27, 2019, 12:24:58 PM
Is this single player, multi-player or both?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 12:39:21 PM
It's definitely SP, not sure if there is an MP component.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Rayfer on November 27, 2019, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 12:39:21 PM
It's definitely SP, not sure if there is an MP component.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look on Steam, I prefer SP.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 02:25:31 PM
Me too. I wouldn't even be considering it if it was mainly MP.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Sir Slash on November 27, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
If it's on Steam, will there be mods you think? Maybe a Vietnam mod or maybe ACW or WWI? Zombies would be too easy. How about one where we get to battle New England Patriots with a Belichik-Boss Battle?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: GroggyGrognard on November 27, 2019, 06:05:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2019, 12:22:23 PM
Loin-Moistening Level 7.

Out of 6.

IIRC, I think that's in the latest Loin Moistening Simulator update.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: al_infierno on November 27, 2019, 06:16:06 PM
Looks great.  I went ahead and sprung for it :bd:
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: WYBaugh on November 28, 2019, 06:12:46 PM
Purchased but unfortunately it will not run on my machine :(

Throwing a memory access violation. Posted in the steam forum but nothing from the dev...so refunded.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 06, 2020, 12:20:46 AM
Late to the party on this one.  It is on sale, so picked it up. I am pretty impressed with this game. Similar to "Rise of Liberty" and "Ravenfield" it definitely scratches an itch. I wish officers could do more to command bots...but some rudimentary commands are there. It is the kind of thing to play when you want something simple with a nice WWII feel.

Now, if someone would just put all these bots in Hell Let Loose or Post Scriptum that would be something.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on December 07, 2020, 08:52:32 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 27, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
If it's on Steam, will there be mods you think? Maybe a Vietnam mod or maybe ACW or WWI? Zombies would be too easy. How about one where we get to battle New England Patriots with a Belichik-Boss Battle?

Remember 1986?  Squish the Fish?  Bury the Bears?   :)
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2020, 10:05:37 AM
I remember both, and Da Bears music video.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on December 07, 2020, 02:40:46 PM
^Haha!  I forgot about that video.  Gonna have to YouTube it to go down memory lane.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2020, 03:11:01 PM
Why would you ever do that to yourself??
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2020, 10:52:21 AM
I see why you ask.  I watched the Superbowl Shuffle video.  Can't get those images out of my head now. 
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
^Hahaha I blame McMahon and The Fridge.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on December 08, 2020, 11:00:31 AM
Lol.  I stopped watching the video when it was the Fridge's turn to dance.  I knew my brain would be scarred for life if I didn't stop.   ;D
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 11:11:40 AM
IMHO that was the least terrible part!
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: jamus34 on December 08, 2020, 11:15:04 AM
(The coming from a Bears fan)

I think we need to share this with our non-US brethren and see what kind of crimes against humanity we can commit.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 11:28:14 AM
Gird your loins:

Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: jamus34 on December 08, 2020, 11:31:43 AM
Calling all European, Asia and Anzac Grogs, come witness one of the greatest crimes against humanity, the Super Bowl Shuffle.

I imagine US black ops teams would play this at high volume for hours to wear down insurgents.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Pete Dero on December 08, 2020, 11:38:09 AM
I think I can beat that Bears clip :





Some people believed it was a good idea for our national soccer team to sing a song for the World Cup in the US.
This is some behind the scenes footage.  It gets even worse when the 'singing' starts at minute 2.

And if you wonder : this was really released as a single : https://youtu.be/N2pWzTofeRQ
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on December 09, 2020, 09:50:50 AM
Pete I've always liked that song and I thought this video you shared was awesome.  But I'm an 80s guy so I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. 

W8taminute: runs and hides from the impending laughter!
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on December 10, 2020, 06:47:34 PM
Thanks to this thread I went ahead and bought the game (for 8 Euro).

I think that even if it had only the Arnhem map, I would still be content with the purchase.

To me, it is: 'Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far' in FPS mode.

Does exactly what I expected it to do! Perfect!! :clap:

Best regards,
Thomm
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 10, 2020, 09:06:25 PM
Quote from: Thomm on December 10, 2020, 06:47:34 PM
Thanks to this thread I went ahead and bought the game (for 8 Euro).

I think that even if it had only the Arnhem map, I would still be content with the purchase.

To me, it is: 'Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far' in FPS mode.

Does exactly what I expected it to do! Perfect!! :clap:

Best regards,
Thomm

I enjoy the game as well.

Glad you could find the "WWII Brass Brigade" discussion hidden in the multiple posts about some bears video...  :clap:
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on December 12, 2020, 06:33:14 PM
While doing so many things right, the game now appears to be 'fundamentally flawed' to me.

The problem that I am having is that I cannot set the respawn points for my bots.

They appear to spawn randomly across the map.

For my current favorite, the Arnhem map, this means that even with a huge global superiority there are never enough bots at the frontline at the same time, whereas the Germans, with only two spawn points on their side of the bridge, easily collect enough soldiers to push any advance back.

Best regards,
Thomm

Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Destraex on December 12, 2020, 08:05:24 PM
Looks kinda cool actually.
EDIT: Single player only. Shame. Because it looks easy and relaxing.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on December 13, 2020, 06:08:22 AM
Quote from: Destraex on December 12, 2020, 08:05:24 PM
Looks kinda cool actually.
EDIT: Single player only. Shame. Because it looks easy and relaxing.

The 'single player only' part is its biggest asset, though.

If I understood correctly from my superficial research, there are numerous more or less realistic 'tactical shooters' out there (Red Orchestra series, Battlefield series, Squad, Post Scriptum, Hell Let Loose, ...) which are multiplayer only (please correct me if I am wrong). So you depend on the availability of other people and working servers.

This is not the case with Brass Brigade, where you can configure the battles to your liking and get a consistent experience.

And it is not 'easy' by any means.

E.g., I tried to fool the defending Germans by sneaking along the upper flange of the Arnhem bridge (impressive view, btw). On coming down I encountered a German and neutralized him. Before he passed away, though, he managed to throw a stick grenade at me, which blew me right into the Lower Rhine! Remarkable!

Tanks are also quite scary.

Best regards,
Thomm
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 13, 2020, 12:06:10 PM
Quote from: Thomm on December 13, 2020, 06:08:22 AM

The 'single player only' part is its biggest asset, though.


+1

However, I would love to see a multiplayer game where players each have a few dozen bots to command. A 5x5 WWII game with each player commanding 20 bots. That would be something. Assuming the bots weren't brain dead of course.

The only multiplayer game that does that today is the Napoleonic DLC for Mount and Blade. In that game, there is a battle mode where each player controls about 20 troops.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on December 13, 2020, 05:22:43 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 13, 2020, 12:06:10 PM
However, I would love to see a multiplayer game where players each have a few dozen bots to command.

In Brass Brigade, you can 'recruit' nearby bots and give them simple commands. So far, I am content with being able to order some bots to follow me as bodyguards, but there are more commands available.

I enjoy the game. It is like playing a part in a war movie. Not only once have I saved a fellow bot from a charging Katana-wielding Japanese officer in the last moment!

The 'spawn problem' I mentioned above also seems to be less pronounced on maps without a chokepoint like the Arnhem bridge.

Switching tracers off makes the game look even better, IMHO.

I am also under the impression, that the firepower of different nations very much influences the battles (Germans > Brits, US > Japanese). Not bad for an 'arcade' game.

Best regards,
Thomm
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on March 02, 2021, 02:37:42 AM
New map in the (last?) update to Brass Brigade: Streets of Berlin



Best regards
Thomm
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 03:12:24 AM
I tried to like this game.

I failed.  :'(
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Gusington on March 02, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
I got excited about the Berlin map but sadly have still not fired this up.

JH what didn't you like?
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
JH what didn't you like?

I dunno. It just sucked. The action just wasn't satisfying and was pretty clunky.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on March 02, 2021, 02:46:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
JH what didn't you like?

I dunno. It just sucked. The action just wasn't satisfying and was pretty clunky.

Now, I do not want to judge you based on your posting history alone, but it seems that your standards are rather high.

Especially, since you apparently have quite a number of games to choose from.

I, on the other hand, just follow game development in general, and have little interest in investing time in actual playing. And Brass Brigade is a game where I know that I can just jump in and have fun for half an hour, before moving on to something more productive.

For Streets of Berlin, playing as the Soviets in a 15 vs. 15 match with custom settings (e.g. no special abilities, spawn time 5 sec. for infantry, 30 s for tanks, ...) is always a nail-biting contest. At this headcount, your bot comrades need you for victory.

What I like most is the atmosphere, when the shots kick up so much dust, that the target gets totally obscured in no time. I do not think I have seen this in any other game so far.

You are right about the controls, though. They could be better.

Best regards
Thomm





Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: Thomm on March 02, 2021, 02:46:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
JH what didn't you like?

I dunno. It just sucked. The action just wasn't satisfying and was pretty clunky.

Now, I do not want to judge you based on your posting history alone, but it seems that your standards are rather high.

Especially, since you apparently have quite a number of games to choose from.

I, on the other hand, just follow game development in general, and have little interest in investing time in actual playing. And Brass Brigade is a game where I know that I can just jump in and have fun for half an hour, before moving on to something more productive.

For Streets of Berlin, playing as the Soviets in a 15 vs. 15 match with custom settings (e.g. no special abilities, spawn time 5 sec. for infantry, 30 s for tanks, ...) is always a nail-biting contest. At this headcount, your bot comrades need you for victory.

What I like most is the atmosphere, when the shots kick up so much dust, that the target gets totally obscured in no time. I do not think I have seen this in any other game so far.

You are right about the controls, though. They could be better.

Best regards
Thomm

Totally fair...It is true that I'm much more of an ARMA guy, then say something like this that is aimed toward the more casual market. I'll give the new map a shot someday.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on March 02, 2021, 04:13:37 PM
Interesting discussion and JH and Thomm both bring up good points about this game.

It really all depends on what your tastes are.  Both of you are correct.  The game delivered something nice to one gamer but not to another and that is due to what was expected by each gamer. 

I'm kind of in between what Thomm and JH said.  I like the game for just being able to hop in for half an hour of fun before moving on but it is kind of clunky and not as precise as something like BF5 or Arma.  That's why I really haven't played too much with this game or with Ravenfield. 

Potato chips such as Doritos sure are yummy but they don't satisfy the way a Big Mac and chocolate shake do!
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 04:17:24 PM
FWIW, I enjoy Ravenfield more than Brass Brigade. I just feel like it flows much better and the combat action is more satisfying.

I reinstalled BG to give it another look.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on March 02, 2021, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Totally fair...It is true that I'm much more of an ARMA guy, then say something like this that is aimed toward the more casual market. I'll give the new map a shot someday.

I have ARMA 3. Deinstalled it after finishing the campaign, because ... procrastination ...

I have never tried it in multiplayer. From what little I investigated, the overhead seemed to be too much for me.

If there was a way to join an ARMA multiplayer game effortlessly and play a, say, 30 min. match with respawning, I would be interested.

But I am not sure whether or not there is something like that.

I do remember, however, a story of a squad waiting four hours for an enemy that never showed up, because the enemy commander did not understand his mission properly. :hide:

Best regards,
Thomm
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Toonces on March 02, 2021, 09:01:49 PM
Not to derail the thread, but ARMA 3 used to have King of the Hill online matches where you could simply pop in for some MP action.  I used to play it a lot, but then something happened and I lost my character and all his progress and I couldn't be bothered to start all over from scratch.  It was quite fun, though.
Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: W8taminute on March 03, 2021, 08:38:14 AM
Quote from: Toonces on March 02, 2021, 09:01:49 PM
Not to derail the thread, but ARMA 3 used to have King of the Hill online matches where you could simply pop in for some MP action.  I used to play it a lot, but then something happened and I lost my character and all his progress and I couldn't be bothered to start all over from scratch.  It was quite fun, though.

Yeah I remember that.  That mod was the basis for PUBG. 

Here's and example of some fun I had with a friend:

Title: Re: WWII Brass Brigade
Post by: Thomm on March 03, 2021, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 03, 2021, 08:38:14 AM
Yeah I remember that.  That mod was the basis for PUBG. 

Here's and example of some fun I had with a friend:

That was interesting! I can see the appeal of that! Especially the teamwork!

But it is certainly a totally different game style and experience than, say, Brass Brigade.

I think it is futile to compare the two.

Best regards,
Thomm