GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on January 17, 2020, 06:51:18 AM

Title: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on January 17, 2020, 06:51:18 AM


New Ozzy!  And it's good!!  This weekend the gaming will be Field of Glory:Empire turns and Warlock.  On the tube, Sunday is football all day startiing with Liverpool/Man United proceeding on to the AFC and NFC Championships.  Go Titans and Niners!!
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on January 17, 2020, 08:20:24 AM
Change at work means I'm gonna have Sunday only free between workdays and that means I have to lavish attention on the Mrs. (you'd think after two decades she'd have enough of me by now, but no).  Don't think I'll get any gaming in at all.  Crud.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2020, 08:32:15 AM
Still trying to hone my skillz in Anno 1800, and slowly improving. Other games beckon - Age of Empires 3 with the fancy Wars of Liberty overhaul mod, modded Fall of the Samurai, and modded Star Wars: Empire at War. Plus titles in alpha and beta that have been updated lately like Iron Harvest and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts. Plus a whole host of WWI-themed games. I need more time!
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on January 17, 2020, 08:47:30 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2020, 08:32:15 AM
Still trying to hone my skillz in Anno 1800, and slowly improving. Other games beckon - Age of Empires 3 with the fancy Wars of Liberty overhaul mod, modded Fall of the Samurai, and modded Star Wars: Empire at War. Plus titles in alpha and beta that have been updated lately like Iron Harvest and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts. Plus a whole host of WWI-themed games. I need more time!

My usuals it seems -- World of Warships, boardgames and Hell Let Loose...oh, maybe some DCS!
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on January 17, 2020, 08:49:17 AM
Probably a lot of Magic The Gathering arena and Monster Hunter World.

Would like to try to get back into some PS4 titles I own too such as RDR2, AC:Odyssey and Horizon Zero Dawn.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on January 17, 2020, 09:14:18 AM
I'm going to continue practicing with Dominions 5 in preparation for another Grogs PBEM. 

Since I'm here I'll shameless ask "anyone interested in playing Dominions 5 multi-player with solops, ajidica, and myself?
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on January 17, 2020, 09:26:16 AM
More of the same, so mostly:

- Finishing my Civilization 6 campaign.
- Endless Space 2
- Omerta
- Master of Orion CtS



Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Martok on January 17, 2020, 06:06:46 PM
One or more flavors of Total War is in the offing:  Attila (with the 1212 AD mod), Thrones of Britannia, and/or Warhammer II. 

Am also looking at Stardrive 1 (with the Blackbox mod), and/or Interstellar Space: Genesis. 
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Moreb on January 17, 2020, 09:04:51 PM
Ozzy Osbourne. One minute he's incoherent, the next he's putting out a GREAT jam. Probably the best Ozzy stuff in a long time. Thanks Dog. It's new to me.

My parents were into oldies but for some reason they had Black Sabbath Paranoid album. My brother used to crank it when they were away and would tell me the guy on the cover was coming to get me. The music was so dark. Looking back it's just some dude with a pink sash, tights and a motorcycle helmet. I've been a fan ever since.

(https://musictoeat.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/cover1bad.jpg)

Oh me? I'm spending free time demoing the house. Wish I had more time to game (read any) but all is well here. Waiting for the wife to come down as she has been staying at our current house an hour and forty five minutes away near her work. I haven't seen her since last weekend. We've been getting along great. ;D


Here's an odd one. The demo of War Pigs which was supposed to be called "Walpurgis". The record company thought it too dark. The music is very near what you kanow as War Pigs, but the words are very different. Worth a listen if anyone is an Ozzy fan.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2020, 10:46:57 PM
 \m/
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on January 17, 2020, 11:27:22 PM
Glad you liked it, Moreb.  And I agree, that's the best Ozzy I have heard in a while.  The album was produced by Post Malone (an admission of unhippness, I heard the name before, but I have no idea who that is olde) and has several guest stars, including Elton John.  Turns out the two are pretty good friends.  In the total opposite direction of the Prince of Darkness, I give you St. Paul & The Broken Bones:



Looking around the map in one of my current Field Of Glory:Empires mp games, my did alight on Dalmatia.  I was all set to play them when I looked a little further East and saw Macedonia.  And I thought, "Why not play the genesis of this whole conflict?"  So, off I go to make my name on the ancient fields of battle!  May the spirits of Phillip and Alexander inspire wisdom and courage in me. 
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Moreb on January 18, 2020, 12:58:06 AM
I'd pay good money to see a Ozzy/Elton concert. I'd may even pay blood money.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on January 18, 2020, 07:28:52 AM
Quote from: Moreb on January 18, 2020, 12:58:06 AM
I'd pay good money to see a Ozzy/Elton concert. I'd may even pay blood money.

Arggghh the Iron Price for you.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 02:46:16 PM
Been in a bit of a gaming funk, not much played for the past almost two weeks except my pbem turns. Down to just one PBEM game FOG2, so will do turns for that but really not sure about what else, i've opened and closed a few games but that's about it.

Great tune, came upon the new Ozzy tracks just last week.I like all 3 new tracks but Under the Graveyard is my favorite, looking forward to the album release.

A bit bummed by Neil Peart's passing, favorite drummer, and as good as a drummer as he was, he was a better lyricist. Went to a lot of Rush concerts, my brother in laws favorite band, he'd buy the tickets and tell me when the concert was, good times. I remember a long ago distinct memory of RUSH, during my stupid teenage years period i remember brewing up some shroom tea and laying on my bed spinning 2112 cover to cover, just letting the mind roam. Wasn't the first or last time i did that but 2112 or Masters of Reality were the only albums i spun for those trips. So many memorable lyrics throughout Rush songs, here's a couple of my favorites:

"A planet of playthings
We dance on a string
Of powers we cannot perceive.
The stars aren't aligned
Or the god are malign.
Blame is better to give than receive"

"Half the world hates
What half the world does every day
Half the world waits
While half gets on with it anyway"

For the past almost 20 years every time i get a new pair of headphones, on the ear, over the ear, in the ear, doesn't matter, the first song that is played on any new headphones is YYZ.
Bummer....RIP Mr. Peart

Good gaming everyone

Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Rekim on January 18, 2020, 03:42:57 PM
I was surprised that Rush didn't headline this weeks thread. Thanks for mentioning Neil.

You still play 7 Days to Die, Budd? it just keeps getting better imho.

Also in a gaming funk, but mine related to being stuck at work this weekend...and this stupid snow storm. If I had my way I'd be VRing some DCS or BoS. Have been boning up on my BF 109 skills in both.

Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 04:12:49 PM
Quote from: Rekim on January 18, 2020, 03:42:57 PM
I was surprised that Rush didn't headline this weeks thread. Thanks for mentioning Neil.

You still play 7 Days to Die, Budd? it just keeps getting better imho.

Also in a gaming funk, but mine related to being stuck at work this weekend...and this stupid snow storm. If I had my way I'd be VRing some DCS or BoS. Have been boning up on my BF 109 skills in both.

I'll probably be doing a deep dive into RUSH tunes this weekend, good pair of headphones and my headphone amp and off i'll go.

I'll always return to 7 days to die sooner or later. I like the new alpha, especially the improved performance. Tested out vanilla last run, probably with make a modded run soon with a custom map. I like the Darkness Falls mod and War of the Walkers but looks like WOTW mod is not being updated. I'll run with Darkness Falls, custom generated map, with the sorcery modlet.

Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2020, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 02:46:16 PM
So many memorable lyrics throughout Rush songs, here's a couple of my favorites:

"A planet of playthings
We dance on a string
Of powers we cannot perceive.
The stars aren't aligned
Or the god are malign.
Blame is better to give than receive"

"Half the world hates
What half the world does every day
Half the world waits
While half gets on with it anyway"


My favorite Peart lyric is on fame and how we think we know someone through their medium: music, movies, tv, sports, etc.

"I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long awaited friend."

Quote from: Rekim on January 18, 2020, 03:42:57 PM
I was surprised that Rush didn't headline this weeks thread. Thanks for mentioning Neil.

I am ashamed to admit, I didn't even think about it.   :-[  His passing was mentioned here:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24206.0
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 04:53:00 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 18, 2020, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 02:46:16 PM
So many memorable lyrics throughout Rush songs, here's a couple of my favorites:

"A planet of playthings
We dance on a string
Of powers we cannot perceive.
The stars aren't aligned
Or the god are malign.
Blame is better to give than receive"

"Half the world hates
What half the world does every day
Half the world waits
While half gets on with it anyway"


My favorite Peart lyric is on fame and how we think we know someone through their medium: music, movies, tv, sports, etc.

"I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long awaited friend."

Quote from: Rekim on January 18, 2020, 03:42:57 PM
I was surprised that Rush didn't headline this weeks thread. Thanks for mentioning Neil.

I am ashamed to admit, I didn't even think about it.   :-[  His passing was mentioned here:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24206.0

So many meaningful lyrics he wrote, that one also came to mind for me. Love Limelight, seemed such a personal song for him. They had a good arrangement, you guys do the press, i'll write the songs. I haven't spent enough time with the material after Peart's tragedies, think i'll give those a listen.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Rekim on January 18, 2020, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 04:12:49 PM
I'll always return to 7 days to die sooner or later. I like the new alpha, especially the improved performance. Tested out vanilla last run, probably with make a modded run soon with a custom map. I like the Darkness Falls mod and War of the Walkers but looks like WOTW mod is not being updated. I'll run with Darkness Falls, custom generated map, with the sorcery modlet.

I have never tried a mod. Probably should change that. I usually play permadeath, which makes it challenging just to explore all of the crafting in any given alpha.

Have you tried MP with any of the later builds? I found it too laggy back in the day when we shared a server on here.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: -budd- on January 18, 2020, 06:50:19 PM
I haven't played MP since the last time we had the server here, no idea how it plays.

I do perma death after the first two days. I'm always doing something risky and stupid and will die usually the first day or two, the shiny POI's are to tempting to me early game. I also crank up the difficulty to the highest or one level down so i give my perma death a two day break.

If you want to try modded version this is the easiest way i know, use this mod launcher   http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/7D2DModLauncher.html  it will throw up an AV warning, but i've used it for a couple of years now and nothing turns up when i scan it. It will take awhile on setup to get going as you have to do a copy or new install of 7DTD, and then download the overhaul mods. Once this is done you can play vanilla or modded, the copy or new install doesn't mess with your original install. The mod launcher will show compatible mods and keep them updated, it also allows you to download modlets, which are smaller add on mods, like weapons, POI's, small stuff. On the modlets you do have to pay attention to compatibility but most are compatible. Its where i get the sorcery modlet, nothing like throwing some fireballs or freezing some zombies \m/.

Here's the link to the thread with the map generator i use ....    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114207-Tool-NITROGEN-a-random-world-generator-for-7DtD   
sometimes you just want a big green zone or lots of cities and towns or none...your choice.

Need any help to get up and running just ask, i'll do what i can.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: Rekim on January 19, 2020, 11:37:37 AM
Thanks for the pointers Budd. I will be sure to give them a try.
Title: Re: Under the FRIDAY
Post by: IICptMillerII on January 19, 2020, 03:05:13 PM
I've been stupidly busy (whats the point of a 4 day weekend if you only get 1 day off?) so my gaming time has been extremely limited. Still though, I've managed to get through a handful of turns in a new Field of Glory: Empires playthrough (as Rome, of course  ;D) and things are going well so far. I really hope there is some DLC around the corner expanding this game more. There is so much potential here. I would love for a DLC covering the beginning of the Empire, and eventually a Barbarian Invasion centered DLC as well. Still holding out hope for those.

Otherwise I've been trying to get as much testing done for the new Fire and Rubble module for Combat Mission: Red Thunder. The module is shaping up real nicely and is really going to flesh out the late war Eastern Front in CM. For me, winter is worth the price of admission alone, but there are plenty of other new goodies as well, including partisans and volkssturm for fighting in the ruins of Berlin, and lend-lease vehicles for the Soviets to name just a few things.

Beyond that I was thinking about downloading some of the old Medal of Honor games (Allied Assault, Spearhead, etc) for some nostalgic gaming when time permits. For those that don't know, the Medal of Honor Warchest is on Good Old Games and includes a lot of the old MoH titles and their expansions. Highly recommended.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their time off!