GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on April 24, 2020, 04:20:38 PM

Title: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 24, 2020, 04:20:38 PM
TW: Shogun 2 will be free to keep from Monday, April 27th at 1pm EST to Friday, May 1st at 1pm EST. (assuming I did the TZ conversion correctly).

Article doesn't really say, so I'm assuming this is on Steam.  The one TW game I ever bought ::)


https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/24/total-war-shogun-2-will-be-free-for-keeps-next-week/
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Gusington on April 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
GET IT NOW STEVE58.

The best TW of them all.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: airboy on April 24, 2020, 06:55:23 PM
Thanks!
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Destraex on April 24, 2020, 08:04:22 PM
Good stuff thanks.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Martok on April 24, 2020, 08:29:04 PM
Fantastic!  If I didn't already own Shogun 2, I would definitely pick it up now.  :P 




Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
GET IT NOW STEVE58.

The best TW of them all.
You only say that because you haven't played Warhammer II. 


(https://i.imgur.com/aAZLJf9.jpg)

Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Sir Slash on April 24, 2020, 10:11:13 PM
I already own it but maybe I'll get it again. Just to have 2. It's that good!  :D
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 25, 2020, 08:22:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM
GET IT NOW STEVE58.

The best TW of them all.

Not to worry Mr Gus.  Its already in my Steam library.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 25, 2020, 08:30:09 AM
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-shogun-2-giveaway-and-total-war-sale-faq/
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Gusington on April 25, 2020, 03:25:59 PM
Nice. And I have played Twarhammer II...it vexes me.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Martok on April 25, 2020, 09:03:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2020, 03:25:59 PM
And I have played Twarhammer II...it vexes me.
It's supposed to.  >:D 


More seriously, though, I get what you're saying.  The WH games are simultaneously both simpler and more complex beasts than their historical counterparts.  I freely admit I myself am still a neophyte in many aspects. 

I still find WH2 a ton of fun, though -- the most I've had with a Total War game since Rome II. 

Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Gusington on April 26, 2020, 09:32:47 AM
If I had more time with the lore I would probably enjoy it more.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Philippe on April 26, 2020, 09:58:27 AM
Anyone who doesn't have Shogun 2 should snap it up.  I've recently revisited several of the Total War games in the aftermath of Three Kingdoms, and I definitely don't care much for what they did with Rome II and Atilla (in spite of loving the subject matter), but Shogun 2 is a gem.

(And I really like Three Kingdoms, and can't wait for the bugs -- which aren't really all that numerous -- finally to get ironed out.  I'm addicted to watching Chinese soap operas on Amazon so I play with English subtitles and Chinese voice-overs on everything.  I also use two mods which give biographical background on the cast of characters).
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Father Ted on April 26, 2020, 12:33:54 PM
I have nearly all the TW titles (excepting the WH malarkey), but the only one I played to completion was the first.  I hadn't seen the like before - turn-based strategy coupled with real-time tactical - and it hooked me, despite a complete antipathy toward the subject matter.  Thereafter my playtime time with the successive iterations probably decreased with an inverse square law, although some of the eras were interesting to me.

Basically, most game series are like TV drama series.  Every so often someone comes up with an innovative idea.  People buy/watch in great numbers and the critics love it.  So it gets a second series/game, and then a third.  But now it's not innovative, so what kept you watching during that first series has dissipated somewhat.

The TW games are the same thing in different skins.  Sure, they add new wrinkles to the gameplay, but Shogun 2 is really the same experience as Shogun, so after a few hours I'm just thinking I've been here before.  I don't want to single out just the TW games here - this is true of many franchises (for me at least).
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (will be free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 27, 2020, 12:12:22 PM
Well, its 1pm ET, so it should be free, but the store page hasn't updated...yet.  Its showing free in all my Steam searches.  It should update after a while...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/201270/Total_War_SHOGUN_2/
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 27, 2020, 01:00:38 PM
From one of the devs on Steam:

Sorry, folks - we're experiencing some delays in the deployment of this - please bear with us and we'll keep you updated!
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: steve58 on April 27, 2020, 01:45:49 PM
OK, price has dropped to $0.00  :)
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: RedArgo on April 27, 2020, 05:54:45 PM
Got it, thanks!
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: GroggyGrognard on April 28, 2020, 10:43:25 AM
 I bought all of the DLC for 12 bucks.

Groggy
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: airboy on April 28, 2020, 11:49:36 AM
Thanks again for letting us all know.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Crossroads on April 29, 2020, 10:35:30 AM
That was a nice gesture by them, I bought the Rise of the Samurai Campaign DLC while at it, too  :bd:
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Gusington on April 29, 2020, 12:05:23 PM
^ I still haven't played that one.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Sir Slash on April 29, 2020, 02:18:51 PM
I got about half-way through it. It moves slower but has some nice features and a gorgeous map.  :dreamer:  Other than Samurai, not a lot of variety in the units.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Gusington on April 29, 2020, 02:21:46 PM
It begins in the 12th century, right? Yoritomo vs. Yoshitsune?

Have you ever played Lords of the Rising Sun by Cinemaware? Same era and same history. Great game. Loved it on my Amiga.
Title: Re: FREE --> Total War: Shogun 2 (free for keeps 4/27-5/1)
Post by: Sir Slash on April 30, 2020, 02:25:08 PM
Not sure about the time for RotS and no I've not played LotRS. It seems to me there were two rival families on either side in RotS, you could play as either of the 4 families. Mostly basic spear, sword, and bow units for all and if you got the Samurai units you could dominate. Long time since I played.