GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on May 01, 2020, 06:24:06 AM

Title: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: MetalDog on May 01, 2020, 06:24:06 AM


The season just flipped and it's time to grind for rank again in MtG:Arena.  I'm sure Civ IV:BtS mp will be on the agenda, too.  Have an awesome weekend, Grogs!!!
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
Been playing mostly Aurora C#. It's such an amazing game and a real monumental achievement. It's hard to believe that one guy can program everything that it models. Definitive proof that a game with virtually no graphics or sound can be so entirely captivating.

Will probably also play some Star Citizen 3.9, Gears Tactics and maybe something John Tiller.

I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Anguille on May 01, 2020, 08:10:41 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.
You had COVID? Didn't know this...great to hear you're getting better!

Starting a new month with new games this weekend:

- Pax Nova (finally released)
- Empire Total War (to continue in my Total War mood after Napoleon Total War)
- Port Royal 3


Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 08:20:15 AM
Quote from: Anguille on May 01, 2020, 08:10:41 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.
You had COVID? Didn't know this...great to hear you're getting better!

Starting a new month with new games this weekend:

- Pax Nova (finally released)
- Empire Total War (to continue in my Total War mood after Napoleon Total War)
- Port Royal 3


Thanks. Its been a rough few weeks.

Would like to know your thoughts on Pax Nova. Thought it had a lot of potential, but in early access it really disappointed.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Dammit Carl! on May 01, 2020, 09:04:48 AM
Think I'll pick up a graphics card, and wallow in Arma and Il2 as I'm running out of projects to do around the house.

Get better, Jarhead!
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Anguille on May 01, 2020, 09:14:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 08:20:15 AM
Would like to know your thoughts on Pax Nova. Thought it had a lot of potential, but in early access it really disappointed.
I haven't played the game at all so far so it's going to be fresh impressions. What did disappoint you in the EA?
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Geezer on May 01, 2020, 09:16:48 AM
Playing Aurora C#, probably for many moons to come.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: MengJiao on May 01, 2020, 09:40:48 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on May 01, 2020, 06:24:06 AM


The season just flipped and it's time to grind for rank again in MtG:Arena.  I'm sure Civ IV:BtS mp will be on the agenda, too.  Have an awesome weekend, Grogs!!!

  Wow!  Great tune!  I'll be doing my usual: HLL (now with lots of Recon planes and AC and ballistics and a new map and a revised map), World of Warships, DCS and BoX (with FC).
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 01, 2020, 10:15:31 AM
Medieval TW 2. Here Good King Alphonso I, 'King Al' to his friends, leads the Most Catholic Army of Spain to victory against the Godless, Heathen, Rebel-Brigands who never the less, put up one hell-of-a-fight. Also, fertilizing my lawn. Have a great, 'Almost Re-Opened' weekend Grogs. And.... Happy May Day BTW.  O0
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 01, 2020, 11:20:08 AM
Oppps... Forgot to post my pic.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
Welcome back to the land of the living JH.

Beginning to love Assassin's Creed Odyssey again, at level 29 with about 60 hours in. So many damned quests it boggles my mind.

Enjoying some relaxing time with Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. Never played it when it was new.

And thinking about what civ to play as next in Civ VI, or an ancients scenario if anyone can recommend. I looked over the Alexander the Great one and it looked kinda 'meh' to me. Was disappointed I could only play as the Macedonians. Is it worth a try?
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: airboy on May 01, 2020, 12:52:39 PM
Sorry you were sick and glad you are recovering.

Xenonauts - I'm really enjoying it.  Secrets of the Lost Tomb with my wife.  I should finish the last two missions of Red Steel - but Xenonauts!
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 01:25:39 PM
Might be a change of plans...in addition to Aurora, I might spend some time getting reacquainted with an old friend...drastically modded and improved.

Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Anguille on May 01, 2020, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
And thinking about what civ to play as next in Civ VI, or an ancients scenario if anyone can recommend. I looked over the Alexander the Great one and it looked kinda 'meh' to me. Was disappointed I could only play as the Macedonians. Is it worth a try?
I've never been tempted by the scenarios in Civ VI so far.

I have had some good experience with Korea as it has some serious bonuses in reseach...i think it's a great option.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: -budd- on May 01, 2020, 02:30:09 PM
Get Well JH

Just got killed in CSME and Gettysburg Pbem battles. Still have a Brother vs Brother pbem game ongoing, with me as the Union, and just started a Strategic Command Global Classic [the games with the squares:-)] WW3 pbem game with me as the Commies, Soviet/Chinese and now have North Korea coming online with some middle eastern countries looking like they want to jump in on our side. Never played this one before, it's 1946 and i'm moving on Paris with the Soviets and the Chinese are clearing their country of free Chinese. I dropped a para unit on Japan with an army getting ashore also. Haven't reached the end of 46 yet. 

Jumped back in on Empyrion Galactic Survival. Haven't played for quite a few alphas, man things have changed. Threw together a full service underground temp base with defenses, and i'm now planning my main base build, then a capital ship and jaunting through space. Taken me a bit to get up to speed, a lot of changes, forgot how cool this survival game is.

Have a good weekend everyone
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 03:09:28 PM
Thanks Anguille for the Korea suggestion.

I just accidentally bought M&B Bannerlord...was attempting to try out a Fanatical coupon.

So my plans may change a bit too :)
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Father Ted on May 01, 2020, 06:50:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 03:09:28 PM

I just accidentally bought M&B Bannerlord...

A quick trip to the store for essentials: tinned tomatoes, onions, toothpaste, M&B Bannerlord, pasta, cereal - it's easily done.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 08:23:27 PM
Pfft toothpaste
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: GroggyGrognard on May 01, 2020, 09:05:49 PM
Going to give Total War: Shogun 2 a spin for the first time. Also, Infinite Minigolf on the PS4 with my girlfriend. It's a bit cartoony, but it's good casual fun with multiplayer. Maybe some The Division 2 also.  I've been meaning to get to Order of Battle: World War II but I just run out of time.



Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Having imaged patients who are either positive or rule out, no matter how mild or severe the symptoms are, I empathize with every one of them.



Stay safe and have a great May Day weekend, Grogs!


Groggy
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 01, 2020, 09:52:21 PM
Let us know what you think about Shogun 2 Groggy.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Tripoli on May 02, 2020, 03:27:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
...

I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.

Glad you are feeling better.  If you are up to it, I would be interested to hear what your COVID experience was, as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2020, 04:47:49 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on May 02, 2020, 03:27:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
...

I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.

Glad you are feeling better.  If you are up to it, I would be interested to hear what your COVID experience was, as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I got very lucky. Symptoms were relatively mild. Fever, aches, minor cough, GI issues and conjunctivitis, very tired and weak. I had very little respiratory distress so there was no point that I really felt "in trouble". Really the isolation from self quarantine was the hardest part. That being said, my wife is an anesthesiologist directly on the front line so I heard all the worst stories about young healthy people with minor symptoms all of sudden getting very sick very fast and dying. So, we were pretty much on alert with a pulse ox the entire time through.

I'd like to think I have the anti bodies now so I'm done with it, but they just don't know if there's immunity. It's pretty crazy how little they still understand about how this thing works.

Anyway, everyone be safe and be smart.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Pete Dero on May 02, 2020, 06:41:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2020, 04:47:49 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on May 02, 2020, 03:27:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2020, 06:32:04 AM
...

I've been feeling better over the last couple of days so I think I'm turning the corner on COVID. It's good to be alive.

Stay healthy everyone.

Glad you are feeling better.  If you are up to it, I would be interested to hear what your COVID experience was, as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I got very lucky. Symptoms were relatively mild. Fever, aches, minor cough, GI issues and conjunctivitis, very tired and weak. I had very little respiratory distress so there was no point that I really felt "in trouble". Really the isolation from self quarantine was the hardest part. That being said, my wife is an anesthesiologist directly on the front line so I heard all the worst stories about young healthy people with minor symptoms all of sudden getting very sick very fast and dying. So, we were pretty much on alert with a pulse ox the entire time through.

I'd like to think I have the anti bodies now so I'm done with it, but they just don't know if there's immunity. It's pretty crazy how little they still understand about how this thing works.

Anyway, everyone be safe and be smart.

I'm glad you're OK. My neighbor is less fortunate: after 5 weeks in intensive care, the doctors seem to give up all hope.


For gaming I started playing something I had in my library for a couple of years : Metal Gear Solid V.  Somehow I find this game relaxing.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2020, 07:29:47 AM
We've lost a lot of friends...mostly healthcare workers.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: trek on May 02, 2020, 08:03:21 AM
Hey JH,
Glad to hear you're recovering from Covid. I was wondering if you experienced "night sweats" as part of your symptoms. The reason I ask is I had Viral Pneumonia when I was 33. I had one lung filled with fluid and the other lung partially. I remember the worst part was trying to sleep and the night sweating. I'd wake up soaked. That to me was the worst part besides the complete exhaustion and basically having to crawl to the bathroom. I have a friend who has it and he is getting the sweats.

The health care workers are our soldiers fighting the war right now. My daughter is an ER Nurse, so I'm proud of her but scared for her at the same time.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: sandman2575 on May 02, 2020, 08:39:05 AM
Very glad to hear about your recovery, Jarhead. I'm sure that must have been a stressful and scary situation for you and your family.

And best wishes to Trek's daughter and everyone else on the frontline fighting this thing...


...interesting times, eh?   :o
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 02, 2020, 10:10:40 AM
A very big, 'Ditto' from me concerning all who are sick and recovering.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: al_infierno on May 02, 2020, 03:26:49 PM
Glad to hear you're recovering, JH.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Toonces on May 02, 2020, 09:43:29 PM
Wow, a lot to respond to here:

JH, great to hear you're feeling better.  I was wondering how you've been!  What's the deal with that Panzer mod?  I've had that game for a while now on GoG but haven't really given it enough effort.

Father Ted, great to see you back!  My old RoF nemesis!

Sir Slash, I really need to get back into M2TW.  Can you believe I've never finished a grand campaign?   Finished Crusades twice, though, so there's that.  I still think that was the best TW.

Budd, what Gettysburg game are you doing PBEM?

For me, no immediate plans, but I'll probably play something with submarines; Cold Waters, SH3, CMO, etc.  I downloaded Nevada and F/A-18 for DCS only to find they're for the beta build.  After installing the beta, it was another 120+ GB to import and I kinda gave up.  I just don't have that kind of time or patience at this point in my life. 

I'm sitting on the fence with Bannerlord....so many unplayed games....
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: GroggyGrognard on May 02, 2020, 10:20:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2020, 04:47:49 AM
I got very lucky. Symptoms were relatively mild. Fever, aches, minor cough, GI issues and conjunctivitis, very tired and weak. I had very little respiratory distress so there was no point that I really felt "in trouble". Really the isolation from self quarantine was the hardest part. That being said, my wife is an anesthesiologist directly on the front line so I heard all the worst stories about young healthy people with minor symptoms all of sudden getting very sick very fast and dying. So, we were pretty much on alert with a pulse ox the entire time through.

I'd like to think I have the anti bodies now so I'm done with it, but they just don't know if there's immunity. It's pretty crazy how little they still understand about how this thing works.

Anyway, everyone be safe and be smart.

Sounds like you were very lucky indeed. Interesting that you experienced very little respiratory distress. With that said, did you experience any degree of shortness of breath? Also, if you don't mind sharing, did they perform any diagnostic imaging on you?


Groggy
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: -budd- on May 02, 2020, 11:54:25 PM
Quote from: Toonces on May 02, 2020, 09:43:29 PM

Budd, what Gettysburg game are you doing PBEM?


Tiller's Gettysburg. Got waxed in the first pbem, Cavalry and cannon only scenario, didn't notice until to late most of my cavalry only had pistols....duh.. came out on the short end of the stick on those engagements. Just starting a 50 turn Brandy Station scenario, haven't opened the turn yet so don't know which side i'm playing.   
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: CJReich46 on May 03, 2020, 03:24:23 PM
"Essential" Worker... translation: RED SHIRT RETAIL. :uglystupid2:

So after working the insanity that is that job...

I have Order of Battle WWII- It actually says if you purchase one DLC, you unlock custom content. So I grabbed US Marines. - downloaded Erik's "Blitzkrieg 1939-1940". I am very impressed with the campaign.  It took me a few painful attempts at the first scenario, to realize how supply lines work. Once I grasped that concept, and paced my offensive, it started to click.   

So I managed to get through Danzig (brilliant design and challenge) and now I'm at Lodz, and from what I saw in the briefing it is a challenge. 

Then after our discussions on Shogun 2 TW I thought "Why not?" So I decided to play the Rise of the Samurai DLC ( I will probably be grabbing the rest - Dragon War, Otomo, Ikko-Ikki and Saints and Heroes- total is 5.00)

Oh by the way if you get a strange sound during the intro video, menus..the tech tip I learned is turn on V-sync. Problem solved.

So I booted it up, and started as the Kamakura Minamoto.  I had some hard lessons to learn - your armies are going to be based more on cheap levies. There's better quality units (attendants and samurai) but you're not going to have large numbers of them. The other one is how the campaign is more about influence.  But I figure I'll be at Rise of the Samurai today

Funny you mention MT2W I have yet to actually play through a campaign too.  On the list!
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Gusington on May 03, 2020, 04:51:21 PM
Interesting info about Rise of the Samurai. I hope to get around to it...eventually.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Martok on May 03, 2020, 06:46:26 PM
Have found myself playing a lot of Stellaris the last few days.  I've had a fun game going as a Rome/Cardassian-style empire (my goal is to take over the galaxy for "the greater good"), so we'll see how it plays out. 

After this game, I think I'm going to update Stellaris to the current version, and -- again -- try to master the colony management system introduced in the 2.2 update, at least to the point where I can tolerate it.  I really want to pick up the Ancient Relics and Federations DLC after having watched some LP's, as they look like an absolute blast.  It just means I'm going to have to practice one of my lesser virtues...patience.  :buck2: 


I've also been playing a little Thrones of Britannia.  Reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales always inspires me.  :D 

Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: CJReich46 on May 03, 2020, 07:20:49 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 03, 2020, 06:46:26 PM
Have found myself playing a lot of Stellaris the last few days.  I've had a fun game going as a Rome/Cardassian-style empire (my goal is to take over the galaxy for "the greater good"), so we'll see how it plays out. 

After this game, I think I'm going to update Stellaris to the current version, and -- again -- try to master the colony management system introduced in the 2.2 update, at least to the point where I can tolerate it.  I really want to pick up the Ancient Relics and Federations DLC after having watched some LP's, as they look like an absolute blast.  It just means I'm going to have to practice one of my lesser virtues...patience.  :buck2: 


I've also been playing a little Thrones of Britannia.  Reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales always inspires me.  :D

I read the Last Kingdom and loved it.

I'm in that boat with Stellaris too. The newest three DLCs do sound interesting just I'm willing to wait a bit on them.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 03, 2020, 10:02:27 PM
I've been watching the Last Kingdom, Season 4 on Netflix and another slow start to episode 3, but now were talking some Saxon/Dane action and treachery. LOVE the period.  :bd:
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: MetalDog on May 03, 2020, 10:58:38 PM
I made it through the first 4.  Then life intervened.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 04, 2020, 07:49:49 AM
I always fall for that slow start and then I'm hooked by the time something really exciting happens. I just wish there were more episode per season.
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: MetalDog on May 04, 2020, 12:26:42 PM
They went from eight the first two season to ten last season and this.  You don't want them to have to work all that hard, do you?
Title: Re: You Just Turn Your FRIDAY Head And Walk Away
Post by: Sir Slash on May 04, 2020, 01:55:20 PM
Destiny should be worth at least 12 episodes a season. That's not too much to ask for all of England is it?  ???