Russia's Putin announced at an airshow that he's going on a spending spree to get a new air force:
QuoteSpeaking at an airshow at Zhukovsky just outside Moscow marking the air force's 100th anniversary, Putin said the military will receive more than 600 new combat planes and 1,000 helicopters by 2020.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/11/putin-to-modernize-russia-air-force-with-600-new-fighter-planes
It will be interesting to see how this progresses.
I found this sentence at the bottom of the article very interesting.
QuoteRussian aircraft-makers also have been slow to develop modern drones, prompting the government to buy some from Israel.
That struck me as slightly ironic given how Russia tends to support countries that want to see Israel destroyed. I hope the Israelis have the drones they sold programed with a self destruct code or something ... just in case. :)
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2012, 08:53:54 AM
It will be interesting to see how this progresses.
I found this sentence at the bottom of the article very interesting.
QuoteRussian aircraft-makers also have been slow to develop modern drones, prompting the government to buy some from Israel.
That struck me as slightly ironic given how Russia tends to support countries that want to see Israel destroyed. I hope the Israelis have the drones they sold programed with a self destruct code or something ... just in case. :)
oddly I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of those drones were designed and built by former Russian Jews.