Just curious since this comes up pretty regularly. What percentage of the games that you own have you played?
Played for Boardgames - you have at least read the rules and set it up.
Played for Computer Games - you have played at least 2 hours.
For me:
Boardgames - About 70% played. It would have been 100% two years ago, but I bought a number of games when I retired that I have not worked around to playing yet.
Computer Games - About 50%. Close to 90% pre-GoG. But many games come so inexpensively (or given away) on GoG that I have a huge backlog. Expecially adventure games which I like occasionally and bought in a swarm when they were on sale. But now I have many good wargames I've not played: The two newest Strategic Command, Warplan, the Original Field of Glory, new Field of Glory among others.
I'll need some statistical analysis software that could access Steam's API just for my Steam games, if you include all the games I have outside of Steam... no idea :buck2:
I'm most interested to see Jarhead's answer to this question... :)
Computer games - probably 90%. Board games - maybe 30%.
In the 80's and 90's I collected a lot of tabletop games. SPI, Victory Games, GDW, Avalon Hill. I wish I'd kept them.
I'm ashamed to say it's probably in the range of 30-40% for both categories.
I don't play games. I am a collector ! :hide:
Only PC for me and I guess it should be around 40% :'(.
I've never played any of the board or miniatures games I have. For computer games, probably 90%+ played at least once
23 of 67 games in my Steam library have less than 2 hours of playtime. These numbers do not include DLCs-This is only the base game. The number of unplayed games (as well as the total number of games) would go up if I included DLCs that I have and/or never played. These numbers do not include games that where have the computer version of a boardgame (such as Labrynth, Ogre, Fort Sumter or Terraforming Mars) If I have played the board game, but not the computer version, I count the computer version as having been "played". Of the 32 non-steam (mostly Matrix/Sliterine) games that are currently on my hard drive, I have played all but 9 for two hours or more. However, in only about ten or so of these 23 "played" games have I spent any significant time with the game (20+ hours). I have probably several hundred computer non-steam games that are not on my hard drive right now, (most from 1990-2013 or so), so they are not included in this analysis. Only a very few games have I spent over 100 hours (MS Flight Sim/Pred3D, CMO/CMAO, Skyrim, Kerbal, Total War series, Silent Hunter III/IV)
Most of my board games have been played, however that is because most of them date from 1973-1983 before kids, job, marriage and cats made playing board games difficult. It was also a time where money was tighter, so if I purchased a game I was more likely to play it. Of the 13 board games I have purchased since 2010, 5 have been played by this definition (read the rules and set up). Given the price of your typical board game, this is surprising. Of course, this ratio is similar regarding me and books. I have a lot of books I've purchased, either electronically or on paper but never read.
The answer is 42!
....4.2%.
...........0.42%...
I don't play board games, at least not since about 1985. Computer games, all of them but some only a few times if they don't grab me. Finished? Not one in about 5 years. :-[
Is that a legit question? I object :tickedoff:
Mods, please step in :hide:
Err, I have played 100% of games I bought. At least a few minutes. If checking the installation counts. So there! O:-)
I'm pleading the 5th on this one...
I have played 100% of the computer games I have bought, most of them many times. Something must be wrong with me...
Quote from: steve58 on June 08, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
I'm pleading the 5th on this one...
So about 20% then.
Me:
7 of 22 on Steam (32%), GoG about 25%, other sources maybe 50%.
Boardgames in last 30 years maybe 2 of 5 (40%).
Quote from: twitter3 on June 08, 2020, 04:32:59 PM
I have played 100% of the computer games I have bought, most of them many times. Something must be wrong with me...
FREAK! WITCH! HEATHEN!
Just ranted in the Shadow Empires thread about this!
Please, for the purposes of this survey, define the word "played". Fired it up? Played it for a couple of hours?
Define "played"
If I loaded it up at least once counts than I would say I'm in the 85-90% range.
If it means a minimum of 10 or more hours.....less so.
That said I've already passed that on SE. I've bought some knee jerk reaction games but this one is worth it IMO.
An embarrassingly low percentage.
I sit in the perfect storm of having just enough disposable income and chronic procrastination.
Helllo!
For those who missed the first post:
Just curious since this comes up pretty regularly. What percentage of the games that you own have you played?
Played for Boardgames - you have at least read the rules and set it up.
Played for Computer Games - you have played at least 2 hours.
For me:
Boardgames - About 70% played. It would have been 100% two years ago, but I bought a number of games when I retired that I have not worked around to playing yet.
Computer Games - About 50%. Close to 90% pre-GoG. But many games come so inexpensively (or given away) on GoG that I have a huge backlog. Expecially adventure games which I like occasionally and bought in a swarm when they were on sale. But now I have many good wargames I've not played: The two newest Strategic Command, Warplan, the Original Field of Glory, new Field of Glory among others.
Modify message
Quote from: twitter3 on June 08, 2020, 04:32:59 PM
I have played 100% of the computer games I have bought, most of them many times. Something must be wrong with me...
You have control over your game impulse buying! Something not shared by most of us. But all the same, I admire your discipline.
Perhaps you can give Jason Pratt and a few (unnamed) others online therapy?
68.1% of my games on Steam (30 of 44). However, 4 of those have less than 10 minutes. The other 26 have at least 2 hours with two over a thousand and one over two thousand.
Quote from: MetalDog on June 08, 2020, 08:48:00 PM
68.1% of my games on Steam (30 of 44). However, 4 of those have less than 10 minutes. The other 26 have at least 2 hours with two over a thousand and one over two thousand.
What are the 1000+ hour games?
I'd estimate that I've played over 80% of my games for at least 2 hours. On the other hand, I'd also estimate that I've played only around 40% of my games for at least 10 hours, and less than 20% of my games for 50 hours or more.
So in all likelihood, fewer than 20% of my games account for over 80% of my playtime. :hide:
Quote from: Tripoli on June 08, 2020, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 08, 2020, 08:48:00 PM
68.1% of my games on Steam (30 of 44). However, 4 of those have less than 10 minutes. The other 26 have at least 2 hours with two over a thousand and one over two thousand.
What are the 1000+ hour games?
I guarantee that two of them are
Civilization IV and
Warlock II: The Exiled. :cowboy:
Weirdly, at 551 hours Empire Total War is the most played game in my Steam Library.
It's strange, I don't feel like I put that much time into it.
I'm pretty sure I've got more than that in Elite Dangerous but I don't have the Steam version.
Boardgames: ~25% of my collection has been played. 10% of that 25% are wargames that have been played.
PC Games: ~10% of my computer games have been played. I have waaay too many PC games and this doesn't even include my PS4 game collection.
If I only knew how to walk the path and play 100% of my games, let alone put 1000+ hours into one game.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2020, 07:33:37 PM
An embarrassingly low percentage.
I sit in the perfect storm of having just enough disposable income and chronic procrastination.
+1 For myself, a third factor is a full time job.
Quote from: Martok on June 08, 2020, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on June 08, 2020, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 08, 2020, 08:48:00 PM
68.1% of my games on Steam (30 of 44). However, 4 of those have less than 10 minutes. The other 26 have at least 2 hours with two over a thousand and one over two thousand.
What are the 1000+ hour games?
I guarantee that two of them are Civilization IV and Warlock II: The Exiled. :cowboy:
Half right, Civ IV is 2017 and the first Warlock, Master of the Arcane, clocks in at 1047. Alas, there is no third game. I misread one of the entries, Europa Universalis IV as 1006 when it was only 106. Field of Glory:Empires is third with 358. The vast majority of which is MP.
D'oh! I was sure it was the second one. #:-)
Looked at steam right now: played 95 games more than 2 hours out of 169 i think (steam counts some dlc as games), so more than 50%.
Then GOG: out of 420 games (many are the same as on steam), 100, so about 25%.
Should i count all the games i got as free when buying a magazine? Cos i've got a lot of them.
Shouldn't we just count the games we paid at full price? Anyway, i think i played most of the games when i was still buying them in physical form.
Board games: slowly playing them with my kids as they grow up. I would say about 50%. I was the only games in my family (father, brother nor mother like to play games... :( )
I am working mostly on my steam collection. I find it hard to believe that people have played more than 1'000 on a single game. The two games i've played most in the last 6 years are Master of Orion CTS (320 hours) and Horizon (157 hours) and that's already a lot. I've seen people with playtimes above 15'000 hours on a single game! Are they only playing games?
About Horizon...i was very surprised to some players having 2'500 and 2'794 hours and still, they give a negative review....what can motivate someone to play a game they don't enjoy?
For me, I spend a lot more time researching board games than I do PC games before purchase. Board games take up physical space and are more expensive generally than PC games. Board games are even more expensive when you are tracking down an out-of-print game. I also tend to discard board games that I no longer have any interest in playing.
All of these things combine to encourage me to play the boardgames I own.
PC games - take next to no space especially now that almost all purchases are digital. I'm bombarded with PC game sales, look at the "sale" thread here, and if it is less than $5 I impulse buy.
The only thing I impulse purchase worse than PC games are inexpensive history books.
SirAndrew: some of the TW games continue running in the background even after you log out of them, bumping up your total hours.
My top 8 on STREAM for play time. 1,115 hours for HOI4 so far.
284 hours of Skyrim and I've not even finished the game yet. That's value.
(https://i.postimg.cc/CLhKk199/Screenshot-14.png)
Quote from: airboy on June 08, 2020, 08:28:17 PM
Quote from: twitter3 on June 08, 2020, 04:32:59 PM
I have played 100% of the computer games I have bought, most of them many times. Something must be wrong with me...
You have control over your game impulse buying! Something not shared by most of us. But all the same, I admire your discipline.
Perhaps you can give Jason Pratt and a few (unnamed) others online therapy?
I don't know about all that.
I will share something I have found has happened to me a few times with different games. I get so invested with the game and find myself in a poor strategic position that I actually become hesitant to complete the next few turns as I don't want to see the units I put in that situation succumb to their fate. I still haven't finished a WWI Gold game started a few years ago with my German 8th army because I know hitting next turn will spell the destruction of it. Weird I know but with some games I get so wrapped up in it that I can't finish it.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2020, 10:03:01 PM
Weirdly, at 551 hours Empire Total War is the most played game in my Steam Library.
It's strange, I don't feel like I put that much time into it.
I'm pretty sure I've got more than that in Elite Dangerous but I don't have the Steam version.
I think Steam calculates based on the time you spent logged on. For instance, if you log on to a game, then put it on pause and walk away for 2 hours, Steam says you have been playing the game for two hours
^I posted above that TW games also don't log you off once you've exited the game sometimes and keep running in the background.
I avoid Steam when I can. Gog does not accurately log time.
Probably my longest plays are:
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Order of Battle WW2 (including campaigns)
X-Com (original)
Empire (original back on floppy)
Morrowind
Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas
Dominions 3
Civilization 2
Icewind Dale
Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven
Does opening the board game box count as playing it? ;D
About 1. Played to any sort of completion 0.
I don't even want to calculate my PC, XBox, or Switch percentage.... at least with board games (and I own waaaaaay too many) I am around 40-50%.
Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AM
Shouldn't we just count the games we paid at full price? Anyway, i think i played most of the games when i was still buying them in physical form.
I too was wondering whether/how much to count freebie/giveaway games towards my total. Doing so would change my numbers somewhat.
Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AM
I find it hard to believe that people have played more than 1'000 on a single game. The two games i've played most in the last 6 years are Master of Orion CTS (320 hours) and Horizon (157 hours) and that's already a lot. I've seen people with playtimes above 15'000 hours on a single game! Are they only playing games?
I guarantee I have 1000 hours -- and possibly more -- in Birth of the Federation, the original Shogun Total War, and the original Medieval Total War. Of course, my Steam numbers don't reflect this, as I played the hell out of the latter two games when I was younger, back when I still had physical copies of those games.
And it probably goes without saying that that's a significant factor: Most of us don't spend nearly as much time playing games now that we're older.
Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AM
About Horizon...i was very surprised to some players having 2'500 and 2'794 hours and still, they give a negative review....what can motivate someone to play a game they don't enjoy?
Maybe for similar reasons that I down-voted Stellaris, despite having played it for over 1500 hours? I used to enjoy the game, but then the devs f***ed it up on newer iterations. :(
In contrast, I enjoy Rome II: Total War. It was garbage at launch, but thanks to all the updates, it eventually improved to the point that it's now a fun game.
Quote from: Anguille on June 09, 2020, 03:52:48 AMI find it hard to believe that people have played more than 1'000 on a single game.
I've played over 10,000 hours (gulp) of WoW over the years. That's... that's really scary. :-[
^I easily have twice that in Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. The 2,017 hours is only on Steam and only since Gamespy shut down the online system we were using for MP.
Quote from: Gusington on June 09, 2020, 09:34:43 AM
^I posted above that TW games also don't log you off once you've exited the game sometimes and keep running in the background.
That might be it, but I did play a lot of Empire when it came out. I'm sure I put a bunch of time in it, possibly more than other TW games even though it's not my favorite.
The game that probably has the most "dead" hours that I've played is Hearts of Iron IV. I'm over 400 hours on that one and I know I kept it minimized at time.
All the Decisive Campaign games and Operational Art of War IV are also not real hours played. I play them sometimes in the background while I'm working.