GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 06:47:05 AM

Title: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 06:47:05 AM



Happy Independence Day to all of my fellow countrymen and a happy weekend to everyone else.

Game wise, not sure where I'll end up, but probably some DCS and ARMA 3.

Enjoy!
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Rayfer on July 03, 2020, 07:15:53 AM
Excellent song choice JH...!  It's a Tiller weekend for me; Campaign Waterloo
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: airboy on July 03, 2020, 08:42:35 AM
I'm playing Strategic Command WW1 - Grand Campaign as the Central Powers.  I'm also rereading rules for some tabletop games.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: -budd- on July 03, 2020, 09:20:01 AM
I'll be spending time in 7 Days to Die, alpha 19 dropped on Monday. With my limited time with it so far, it sure runs better, while also looking better, my FPS is up. I haven't played vanilla in awhile, so i'll give it a go, at least until the conversion mods catch up to the latest alpha. A lot of changes in Alpha 19. probably something from Tiller i'm sure after my purchases, i've already spent time throwing some visual mods on the games. The squad battle maps look fine but i'm not a fan of the top infantry look so went mod hunting.

Enjoy our weekend
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 03, 2020, 10:39:19 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY America!  :notworthy:    Quiet day tomorrow, I hope. So I plan on drinking a few games while I play some bourbons. Maybe some ACW 2 as the South, the campaign I've been neglecting. Have a happy holiday Grogs.  :bd:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 11:26:56 AM
Happy 4th of July...

My plan for the new month.

- Northgard: first of my new games of the month. Going to finally dive into this...(next new game of the month is postponned to next week because of Empire TW).
- Empire: Total War: going to launch my final campaign, maybe with the Cherokees...
- Endless Space 2: just got a new patch so am going to launch a new game.
- Same for Interstellar Space: Genesis.
- Port Royale 3, playing as a Pirate...just relaxing.

Have a great weekend
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 03, 2020, 11:27:25 AM
Happy July 4th!

I think I will be starting Sniper Elite 4 and and some Order of Battle - probably Sandstorm and Morning Sun.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:25:40 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 08:42:35 AM
I'm playing Strategic Command WW1 - Grand Campaign as the Central Powers.  I'm also rereading rules for some tabletop games.

In January 1915 - just took Warsaw which is a major hit to the Russian Empire.

The Central Powers never invaded Belgium, let Russia and Serbia attack first, never sent Subs after Entente Commerce and never left the North Sea with Surface Ships.  So at the end of 1914 the UK withdrew from the Entente - which was a major shock to France, Russia and Serbia.

The Central Powers did everything in their power to avoid provoking the UK or the USA - but the UK declaring war in October then withdrawing in December was quite a surprise.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 03, 2020, 12:59:01 PM
Jumped on the hype train and picked up Automobilista 2 - more for the chance to race VW Bugs (old style) and those weird looking semi trucks than anything.  So, vroom!

Have a good one, folks!
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 03, 2020, 01:42:22 PM
How do you like it?
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 03, 2020, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2020, 01:42:22 PM
How do you like it?

So far, so good.  There is an okay mix of not-quite-so-common to us in the Northern Hemisphere vehicles (i.e. VW Bugs as racecars, Brazilian stock cars, etc.) and not-quite-so-common racetracks (i.e. South American, Australian, etc.) to have fun with right off the bat.  As I understand it, the graphics and physics engine - albeit tweaked - came from the engine used in Project Cars 2 which has some pretty damn nice eye candy.  Have had a "Bug Run," in a thunderstorm and it was glorious.  I can only imagine just how nice it'd be in VR.

Now, the not-so-hot side of things is that there are still things that need tweaking like visible, moving windshield wipers in some cars and the interiors aren't quite there yet for a few cars too.  Also, there aren't the usual, big-names tracks or auto manufacturers/models available at the moment.  Yeah, I know there are things slotted for DLC via the only currently available DLC for the game in the Steam Store (which sits at $99.99) and as for that, we'll see.

Using only a controller, I know I'm missing out on the force feedback aspects of the game which are supposed to be top notch. 
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: airboy on July 03, 2020, 03:06:28 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.

I've been to Amsterdam for a visit - it was very pretty but quite snowy and cold in mid-December.

I don't know of any increased difficulties between the USA and Holland aside from the trade spats all countries have from time to time.  Appreciate the Dutch help in Afghanistan - though why the West is still there is beyond me.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on July 03, 2020, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.

As with a lot of things in politics, the governed don't always agree with their rulers.  It's all part of the grand democratic experiment.  You, however, have come to the right place for friendly folk. 

As for gaming, I will be in the Arena dueling for some of the weekend.  I still have a M2TW campaign as England to finish.  I installed EUIV on my machine.  Loaded it up, looked around, and thought, "This looks a LOT more difficult to intuit than I remember."  I need to get to some of that.  And yard work.  At least the mowing.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.
Interesting. What is the country/nation you think of? Are you a german speaking Dutch? Or do you speak Frisian?
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Martok on July 03, 2020, 03:46:06 PM
Great song!  I'll admit, however, that when I saw the thread title, this was the one that immediately came to mind  8) ): 






Gaming-wise, I have a Total War tag-team going between my Kiev campaign in Medieval 1 and my Mamlakatin Saba campaign in Rome II (DEI mod).  I confess the latter isn't going well; I may need to restart it on Easy difficulty.  :-[ 

I also have a nice little Federation campaign going in Birth of the Federation (UM5 mod), and am playing around with Interstellar Space: Genesis, now that the new update has dropped. 

Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.
Interesting. What is the country/nation you think of? Are you a german speaking Dutch? Or do you speak Frisian?

I live in the city of Groningen. The surrounding formerly Frisian lands changed language around 1400 from Frisian to Lower-Saxon, the language spoken in the city. My father was bilingual in Lower-Saxon and Dutch, but my mother, coming from Amsterdam, considered dialects a speech impediment and I was raised purely Dutch.

The Lower-Saxon language is shared with all of Northern Germany, it gets you to the borders of Denmark and Poland, it was the language of the Hanze League.

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
I am giving Fantasy General a second try this weekend, now that I saw the short (free) campaign.
I am also playing around with Shadow Empire.

Although I wish you Americans a nice weekend personally, American Independence Day doesn't give me a pleasant feeling, as the USA as a nation has become less than friendly to my part of the world. It looks like a bit of a mess from here.

Where is your part of the world?

On the border of Frisia and Saxonia, currently occupied by Holland. Last time we were independent was the late 1400's, since then we have learned to live under various foreign rulers. Generally we like to be friends with everyone.
Interesting. What is the country/nation you think of? Are you a german speaking Dutch? Or do you speak Frisian?

I live in the city of Groningen. The surrounding formerly Frisian lands changed language around 1400 from Frisian to Lower-Saxon, the language spoken in the city. My father was bilingual in Lower-Saxon and Dutch, but my mother, coming from Amsterdam, considered dialects a speech impediment and I was raised purely Dutch.

The Lower-Saxon language is shared with all of Northern Germany, it gets you to the borders of Denmark and Poland, it was the language of the Hanze League.

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:
My grandparents spent all their summers in Norderney...fantastic region. My children grow speaking 3 different languages: bassa, german and french...  ;)
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
Quote from: Martok on July 03, 2020, 03:46:06 PM
Great song!  I'll admit, however, that when I saw the thread title, this was the one that immediately came to mind  8) ): 






Gaming-wise, I have a Total War tag-team going between my Kiev campaign in Medieval 1 and my Mamlakatin Saba campaign in Rome II (DEI mod).  I confess the latter isn't going well; I may need to restart it on Easy difficulty.  :-[ 

I also have a nice little Federation campaign going in Birth of the Federation (UM5 mod), and am playing around with Interstellar Space: Genesis, now that the new update has dropped.

And i was expecting this:

Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Vintage Dude on July 03, 2020, 09:18:54 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:
+1
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 03, 2020, 10:21:11 PM
I'll +2 that one myself.  :clap:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: al_infierno on July 03, 2020, 11:08:49 PM
I don't wanna dogpile but JH ain't the official Judge Advocate General for nothin'.   \m/
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 04, 2020, 05:26:38 AM
Quote from: Anguille on July 03, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
My grandparents spent all their summers in Norderney...fantastic region. My children grow speaking 3 different languages: bassa, german and french...  ;)

Ah, those white dunes in the sea!

I spent a month each summer from my 4th to my 18th on the similar Frisian isle of Vlieland. And then a couple of years with my own kids. Heaven!
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 04, 2020, 09:33:22 AM
How can it be a dogpile if there's only one? My neighborhood goes a little nuts on the Fourth and by dark they'll be everything but 155mm rounds going-off all over. By 9pm, I'll be living in the middle of The Battle of the Bulge. Drinking helps a lot... along with fire-prevention equipment and a really good helmet. But what-the-hell, it's America. Love it or wish you could be here. Have a great one Grogs!  :hug:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: airboy on July 04, 2020, 10:46:28 AM
Using a good strategy and tactics rigorously following the strategy - I managed a decisive victory for the Central Powers in July 1916. 

I'm now changing sides and playing the Entente.  The AI is following the historic plan by invading Belgium immediately.  Sub warfare will probably start very soon.

Central Powers have interior lines - but two very weak reeds in Austria-Hungary and (eventually) the Ottoman Empire.  The Entente have a strong land power (France) a very strong Naval Power (Great Britain) and a moderately strong land power (Russia), and a land power that will be crushed whenever the Central Powers decide to concentrate their forces (Serbia).

My strategy will be to concentrate on nailing the Ottomans when they enter, whacking Austria Hungary now and playing Defense & blockade starvation against Germany.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: GroggyGrognard on July 04, 2020, 11:14:17 AM
This is the start of my two week vacation. Some Shadow Empire and The Division 2. Maybe some Shellshock Live for mindless fun. Also, speaking of mindless fun, recently have gotten into Talisman: Digital Edition on Steam.


Have a great and safe 4th, Grogs! And wear your masks! (especially if you are traveling to Mt. Rushmore.)

Groggy
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 05, 2020, 10:37:03 AM
Update:

Tried twice the campaigns of amerindians in Empire Total War....lost twice. Man it's hard to fight soldiers with guns when you have only arrows and axes and the white man has allies all around! The mood is really nice though with lots of great music.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: devoncop on July 05, 2020, 11:51:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:


Speaking as a Brit.

+100 to that Sir.

Happy (belated) Independence Day to our former colonies. You still have much to be proud of despite what the naysayers may claim. :clap: :clap:
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: WYBaugh on July 05, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
One of my favorite albums:

Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 12:30:32 PM
For The Dawg of Metal and Sir Slash, a new, easier to use installer for Stainless Steel 6.4 for Medieval 2: Total War that is also Steam compatible:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?805683

I am reinstalling the game right now and testing out the new pack too.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Ubercat on July 05, 2020, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Ah...an admitted globalist.

We promise not to judge you. I can understand though why you think things are looking hostile. Afterall, the US is no longer paying the total bill for Europe's defense, protecting it from Russian aggression free of charge, or taking it in the rear from unfavorable trade agreements.  O:-) >:D O0 :-" :bd:

One thing you can say for the Russians, and the Chinese for that matter, they don't waste time on self loathing like so many in the west. Our rivals may be awful in many ways but they're smart enough not to cut their own throats.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Father Ted on July 05, 2020, 12:43:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 03, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

I am afraid I have moved my identity to the past and regard modern nationalism as a harmful folly  :tickedoff:

Ah...an admitted globalist.


Not much up on political jargon, but it seems to me he's the opposite of a globalist -  he appears to be hankering for a time when nations were often tiny.

Anyhoo, I have been playing/will play Shadow Empire (still on my first game) and IL2:FC multiplayer.  Oh and I picked up Doom II in the Steam sale.  It was my first experience of FPS on my first PC. Those graphics and sounds are just so etched into my memory that booting it up was a real head-trip.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 05, 2020, 12:51:49 PM
Can we stop with politics please. There is s forum for that crap. Thanks.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 01:01:36 PM
For anyone interested, the Stainless Steel version I posted above worked without issue. Took about 20 minutes.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on July 05, 2020, 01:43:09 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 01:01:36 PM
For anyone interested, the Stainless Steel version I posted above worked without issue. Took about 20 minutes.
20 minutes to install?

I've become very lazy...i wish i could have someone come to my house and install these mods. That or an auto-install.  ::)
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 03:03:54 PM
20 minutes total to download, install and test. It's a huge mod. I also had to reinstall Medieval 2 from Steam.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on July 05, 2020, 05:11:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 12:30:32 PM
For The Dawg of Metal and Sir Slash, a new, easier to use installer for Stainless Steel 6.4 for Medieval 2: Total War that is also Steam compatible:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?805683

I am reinstalling the game right now and testing out the new pack too.

Thank you, sir!  Never played any mods.  This will be neat!
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 07:36:21 PM
 O0

If you like this and are interested in medieval and renaissance Muslim culture, try out the latest version of Broken Crescent for Medieval 2 as well.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on July 05, 2020, 08:24:09 PM
Now all I need is for you to find an eazy squeezy Third Age mod link and I'd be in heaven!
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2020, 09:18:00 PM
You got it.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?805657

8)
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 05, 2020, 10:11:30 PM
I like Stainless Steel except for, so many factions to play, I want to play them ALL.  :D
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on July 06, 2020, 08:36:28 AM
Check out Broken Crescent too...some very interesting factions there.

The only reason I am not still playing these mods is because of newer ones that I have yet to try on the same era but made with newer game engines, like 1212 for Attila: TW.
Title: Re: American FRIDAY!
Post by: CJReich46 on July 06, 2020, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 05, 2020, 12:51:49 PM
Can we stop with politics please. There is s forum for that crap. Thanks.

+1 This.

Well, trying to recover from depression sucks. Especially dealing with the emotional loss of a co-worker last month.  (She had a heart attack and she was just a month older than me), so my enthusiasm and my patience levels are lacking as of late.   :-X
Gaming wise- and I am trying to break the block.   

I did try Fantasy General II Prologue. I do have to admit I kind of like the game. The Empire has a pretty blah tree though for their units. The Barbarians on the other hand have a lot of interesting types.  For a demo campaign? There is a lot to learn, plus the campaign isn't dull either.

Deity Empires.  I just feel blocked lately.