GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on July 04, 2020, 03:52:52 PM

Title: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: steve58 on July 04, 2020, 03:52:52 PM
Wife and I are getting the 2nd floor re-carpeted soon.  That means everything (except largest pieces of furniture) needs to get moved...somewhere.  And even those large pieces of furniture need to be pretty much empty.  Having to pack up all the old games, software, books, etc out of my mini man-cave, have made me realize how much I've come to accept digital downloads :notworthy:  Always had to have a floppy/CD and a manual for the games I bought.  Now I have all these games that have CDs and my new-ish PC...has no CD drive  :crazy2:
Title: Re: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: al_infierno on July 04, 2020, 04:07:30 PM
Hit up Amazon or your local electronics store and pick up a USB CD drive.  They're fairly cheap, and honestly seem to be the way of the future.
Title: Re: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: steve58 on July 04, 2020, 04:38:19 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on July 04, 2020, 04:07:30 PM
Hit up Amazon or your local electronics store and pick up a USB CD drive.  They're fairly cheap, and honestly seem to be the way of the future.

Yup.  May have to grab one someday (actually have acquired a USB floppy drive :o somewhere along the way).  My point though, was digital bits consume much less space and are much lighter :)
Title: Re: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: Toonces on July 04, 2020, 09:39:22 PM
It's been at least 5 years since I've loaded a game via hard drive.

Like you, my lappy doesn't have a disk drive...hasn't really slowed me down at all.

I'm essentially 100 percent digital.  I'm going to be a seriously sad panda when Steam goes TU.
Title: Re: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on July 04, 2020, 10:15:59 PM
I absolutely love Steam, and the ability to consolidate games and load/unload with a simple click.

However, there is a sad realization that you do not actually own the games in your library.
Title: Re: New appreciation for Steam/digital downloads
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 04, 2020, 11:49:20 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 04, 2020, 09:39:22 PM
I'm essentially 100 percent digital.  I'm going to be a seriously sad panda when Steam goes TU.

Yes, sad...  Steam is a bit of a Ponzi-scheme like economic model. As long as it is selling enough new games to pay for the infrastructure supporting the old, while making a profit, it will be OK. But at some point, the model breaks. Of course there are wildcard factors like bandwidth and storage getting cheaper all the time on one side, and the potential rise of "thin" client games finally knocking "fat" clients off their perch on the other...meaning it may be 20 years before the model breaks. And maybe all "breaking" means is that we wind up paying a "maintenance fee" at some point.