Third Wire has a pretty nifty sale going that includes the entire Strike Fighters 2 collection plus all DLCs in one convenient download. If you already own everything, you get this for free. If you own the 5 base titles, you get it for 50% off.
Anyway, dated...but with mods, totally worth owning.
https://store.thirdwire.com/project_sf2_complete.htm (https://store.thirdwire.com/project_sf2_complete.htm)
Best air combat game ever.
How 'necessary' would you guys say the full head-tracking gear for this game? Curious to pick it up but I'm still a total air sim noob. Still need to get a flight stick for IL-2 :crazy2:
Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2020, 05:20:23 PM
How 'necessary' would you guys say the full head-tracking gear for this game? Curious to pick it up but I'm still a total air sim noob. Still need to get a flight stick for IL-2 :crazy2:
Necessary? Not very. But it is useful.
I played the original for a long while before I got TrackIR and didn't have a complaint.
Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2020, 05:20:23 PM
How 'necessary' would you guys say the full head-tracking gear for this game? Curious to pick it up but I'm still a total air sim noob. Still need to get a flight stick for IL-2 :crazy2:
I would say not at all. I love me some SF2, but I fly it with an Xbox 360 controller with an xpadder profile. I've been on the move too much these past few years to carry around a joystick and TrackIR, plus I don't play flight sims very often. But SF2 is great because it is so accessible, especially considering the controller setup I use.
I would say go for it!
How can I say no to that? O0 Thanks for the replies!
I think a joystick would help you enjoy both IL-2 and SF2. If you find you really enjoy flight sims then move up to a throttle and then on to pedals. Pedals are only really "required" for helo sims IMHO but they add to the experience with any sim.
TrakIR is one of those items that folks that have them say they are indispensable. That may be true but you may want to get your control gear first.
Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 11, 2020, 08:23:25 PM
I think a joystick would help you enjoy both IL-2 and SF2. If you find you really enjoy flight sims then move up to a throttle and then on to pedals. Pedals are only really "required" for helo sims IMHO but they add to the experience with any sim.
TrakIR is one of those items that folks that have them say they are indispensable. That may be true but you may want to get your control gear first.
I'll say, Strike Fighters Vietnam was one of the reasons I got a HOTAS Pedals and TrackIR. It was a game changer.
Never regretted it and haven't looked back.
I use a cheaper option for TrackIr and it works great : https://delanengineering.com/how-it-works/
About SF2 : does it work now on Windows 10 or do you have to wait for the bonus to the Strike Fighters 2 Complete Edition : 'you'll also get the Strike Fighters 2 Win10 Edition and all its DLCs'
Quote from: Pete Dero on July 12, 2020, 08:06:06 AM
I use a cheaper option for TrackIr and it works great : https://delanengineering.com/how-it-works/
About SF2 : does it work now on Windows 10 or do you have to wait for the bonus to the Strike Fighters 2 Complete Edition : 'you'll also get the Strike Fighters 2 Win10 Edition and all its DLCs'
I'm not sure what the point of the Windows 10 edition is. I run strike fighters on windows 10 now without any issue.
I read about these new releases months ago over at Combat Ace. The big draw was going to be Win 10 and DX11. So, I was hoping for an all new resurgence of the SF2 series. Didn't post anything here about it when it came out in May because TK decided to dumb-it-down like his mobile games. If you noticed in the descriptions there are NO cockpit views and you can play it with an XBox controller. Also, the line about no hard to learn flight avionics or something like that. I suspect it's just an easy way to generate sales for a quick buck which is a shame.
Anyway, I have all the original SF2's installed and with the many graphical mods and others the games looks fantastic and runs just fine on Win 10 with no problems.
Follow-up! My bad! I hadn't read the Win 10 store page when I was last on it yesterday and I stand corrected! I see TK does have a new WIN 10 SF2 version coming soon. Although it doesn't say anything about cockpit views, etc. If the game is just like the original SF2 series in all respects then I guess the only reason to buy it is if you think graphically the game looks much better in DX11. Of course then I have to wonder if the multiple ground detail mods and others I already have will still be functional in the new iteration.
So, reading more of the discussions on the Combat Ace forums the new version of SF2 will also use DX12. Someone said (and I don't know if this is verified) that this new version according to TK has NO other improvements except the upgrade to WIN 10 and the inclusion of DX12.
What benefit would using DX12 give? Performance is fine as is.
^Good question. If TK is not updating shaders or the like I guess I don't see a benefit beyond having SF2 at the latest OS and DX levels.
Well, I hate assumptions but I guess we can only assume that he's trying to appeal to a new generation of buyers who don't already own SF2. If the new version sells enough maybe he intends to also roll out the rest of the versions. At $49.95 a pop that would be a good haul if he can make a go of it.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 11, 2020, 08:57:03 PM
I'll say, Strike Fighters Vietnam was one of the reasons I got a HOTAS Pedals and TrackIR. It was a game changer.
Never regretted it and haven't looked back.
Surely looking back is one of the best things with TIR? Oh wait...