GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 02:30:20 PM

Title: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 02:30:20 PM
Looks like this thread was needed more than we thought.

Actually listening to this right now.

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Barthheart on August 18, 2020, 03:33:43 PM
Civ IV

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Father Ted on August 18, 2020, 03:52:58 PM
Okay, so some things I DIDN'T turn off:

Elite II  (not really a soundtrack to be fair, just a lot of rocking classical music)
Sim City 2000 - just loved that noodly little synthy lift music
Medieval Total War - had appropriate monkish singing interspersed with bird song
Rome Total War - similarly evocative of the period somehow. But thinking about it, what was Roman music?
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 18, 2020, 03:55:42 PM
Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3...







...and of course:

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: ArizonaTank on August 18, 2020, 04:05:37 PM
XCOM2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyA82yDXcMw&list=RDEvGf8lZFDbA&index=3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyA82yDXcMw&list=RDEvGf8lZFDbA&index=3)

CIV VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYN2P3E06s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYN2P3E06s)
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 04:10:02 PM
Either the original Shogun Total War or the original Medieval Total War soundtrack are my favorite of all time.



Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: SirAndrewD on August 18, 2020, 04:18:21 PM
Can't go wrong with Crazybus.

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: al_infierno on August 18, 2020, 04:29:19 PM
Darkest Dungeon has my favorite moody, atmospheric hub theme:




Oh, and of course, can't have one of these threads without the Diablo 1 Tristram theme:

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 04:33:26 PM
^Ah Diablo...yes!
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: planetbrain on August 18, 2020, 04:56:29 PM
Frontier-Elite II Intro sound was great.
MOO2 music was/is about the only one I don't turn off while playing. Provides ambience.
CMSF/SF2 isn't too bad.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: glen55 on August 18, 2020, 06:59:02 PM
I usually turn the sound off and listen to my own music, but No One Lives Forever is an exception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoV1N_Um1ZA

(I wish I was smart like you guys (with actual Youtubes showing in your posts).)
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2020, 07:00:23 PM
I SHALL WRITE A TOME!!!  :D :bd:

Not only do I rip game music and listen to it while driving (and occasionally at the computer working, including at actual work), and spend hours editing other people's game rips, I even have outright SPENT REAL MONEY buying game soundtracks. I own physical copies of all the Final Fantasy games up through FF9, for example, on disc. I set the Beatitudes and some other Gospel sermon material to the main Final Fantasy theme as found in FF8. And performed it at church one Sunday. I set the lyrics to a couple of verses of "Once to Every Man and Nation" to the menu theme song of Shadow of the Horned Rat! -- and performed that at church!

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2020, 07:03:25 PM
Quote from: glen55 on August 18, 2020, 06:59:02 PM


(I wish I was smart like you guys (with actual Youtubes showing in your posts).)

The trick is to right-click on the middle of the video while it's playing (or paused), choose "copy video url", and then in the composition window left-click the youtube button (or type the code tags manually) pasting in the middle of the tags.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 07:09:07 PM
Some of my favorite music is from games. Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind all come to mind. I was working today while listening to the original Shogun too.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: paplan on August 18, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
25 yrs later, this is stuck in my mind.

I am a mechanical, I am a mechanical, I am a mechanical man....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6QaDBZJwM
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2020, 07:35:49 PM
"I'm a medieval man."

(Not really the best track on the OST, but the climactic end of the track is pretty good.)



(Partly relevant: I mixed this soundtrack with Shadow of the Horned Rat for an album.)
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: CJReich46 on August 18, 2020, 08:46:27 PM
Pharaoh/Cleopatra - probably one of my favorite soundtracks of a game.

Homeworld - Adagio for Strings "Agnus Dei" (definitely)

Europa Universalis II - (and never duplicated) "In Vernali Tempore"



Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: jamus34 on August 18, 2020, 09:04:40 PM


This one right here
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Con on August 18, 2020, 10:17:03 PM
Warhammer Mechanicus is also pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsX9WUdYnU
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: ComradeP on August 19, 2020, 09:56:18 AM
The various instrumental versions of Civil War songs in Civil War Generals 2: Grant, Lee, Sherman are very nice.



The menu theme from The Great Battles of Caesar. One of the most memorable menu themes in any of the games I've played, it gets you in the mood right away.



The Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret soundtracks are awesome as well.

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2020, 10:24:16 AM
^I very much regret never playing the Crusader games :/
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2020, 10:25:20 AM
Listening to the original Diablo soundtrack right now and it is awesome.

:notworthy:
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Yskonyn on August 19, 2020, 11:26:28 AM
Hands down Age of Conan for me. I still play it at volume once in a while.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Myrmidon on August 19, 2020, 05:46:57 PM
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War soundtrack always stands out to me.  Many games, I over time ended up turning off the soundtrack while playing.  Never with the Warhammer 40K series.

+1 to Mass Effect, Skyrim and EU2 soundtracks already mentioned. 

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Oche on August 21, 2020, 05:38:49 PM
In no particular order:

- War in the Pacific OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDiLlX4jSqU

- Soldiers at War OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-kjxsePFE&t=751s

- Medieval Total War OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhbVYre9uk

- Lords of the Realm II OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngwv7B_lLOE

- Steel Panthers OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaVz3NY6po

- Colonization OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9F0ydAGuyE

- Rome Total War OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12HXnYNA6Cg

- Cutthroats: terror on the high seas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyoWhfgjxWQ


Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: W8taminute on August 21, 2020, 06:53:37 PM
What?  No Grand Theft Auto Vice City?

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: al_infierno on August 21, 2020, 07:05:04 PM
Lol, the GTA games are cheating!
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Staggerwing on August 21, 2020, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2020, 07:09:07 PM
Some of my favorite music is from games. Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind all come to mind...

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls themes from the last three games have to be among the best. There are some awesome versions done by very talented musicians on youtube.


My favorite though?

The original DOOM theme played through a Roland MT32 synthesizer or an equivalent top-notch emulator.

The MT32 is pretty good with the various Monkey Island soundtracks as well.

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Anguille on August 22, 2020, 12:41:47 AM
Here are some of my favorites:

Knights of Honor: i've spent hours with this....amanzing music:



Quote from: ComradeP on August 19, 2020, 09:56:18 AM
The various instrumental versions of Civil War songs in Civil War Generals 2: Grant, Lee, Sherman are very nice.




That's also one of my favorites.

Civilization 6 has fantastic music:


I really like the soundrack of the new Master of Orion game:



Endless Space 2:


Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Oche on August 22, 2020, 05:41:29 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on August 21, 2020, 07:05:04 PM
Lol, the GTA games are cheating!

I guess that includes the Mafia series too :2funny:
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: hellfish6 on August 22, 2020, 07:31:27 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on August 21, 2020, 06:53:37 PM
What?  No Grand Theft Auto Vice City?


All the GTA 3/VC/4/5 soundtracks are great. They do a great job of including favorite songs of the era with lesser known ones, and the vast quantity in each title means there's a lot to love.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Michael Dorosh on August 22, 2020, 02:58:12 PM








LOTRO - I actually have a ton of these converted to MP3s for my car's hard drive.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 22, 2020, 03:16:03 PM
Forgot about the Endless games - their music is awesome.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: al_infierno on August 27, 2020, 01:34:40 PM
Been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 in anticipation for the new release, and this track always gets my blood pumping - especially at 2:17 and on.

Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Bardolph on August 27, 2020, 10:37:41 PM
Stuck forever in my head because I heard them so often:







Others worth a nod:
Mojo Nixon!






Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Dammit Carl! on August 28, 2020, 07:05:14 AM
Whaaaaa???  This hasn't been mentioned yet?


Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Ian C on August 28, 2020, 07:17:29 AM
Great thread.

Hell yes.



Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 28, 2020, 07:47:52 AM
^ooh now there's a Jeremy Soule link I haven't tried out yet! Nice.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: FarAway Sooner on August 28, 2020, 10:43:22 AM
Hearing that Diablo soundtrack gave me goosebumps!

It was hardly a soundtrack, but I remember the Atomic Games V for Victory:  Utah Beach title opened up with a very authentic sounding bagpipe track that struck me as crazily modern and evocative for 1992!
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Sir Slash on August 28, 2020, 11:14:52 AM
The Stainless Steel Mod for Medieval TW 2 has some excellent period-like music included.  :clap:
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 28, 2020, 11:17:46 AM
^Yes! The music from SS is fantastic.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Sir Slash on August 28, 2020, 11:23:05 AM
Except it gets stuck in your head.  #:-)
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on August 28, 2020, 12:43:28 PM
One of the benefits of getting older is forgetting everything eventually.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on October 04, 2020, 06:57:49 PM
Necrothread arise? Sort of?

I vowed not to swamp this thread, AND I HAVE KEPT THAT VOW!

I just converted my collection of Castlevania soundtracks from my computer at work to my car's music stick (unfortunately this requires some conversion to play correctly even though both formats are .mp3, because the car understands meta-data too well and there's no option to just play them according to title order from their folder.) And I'm starting through them again, in my car for the first time.

Most tracks are deservedly obscure, others undeservedly obscure (like Cross a Fear, fourth track on the first video). Some are very famous among gamers, especially the "trinity" of main game themes: Vampire Killer (seventh track on the first video), Bloody Tears (second track on the first video), and In the Beginning (first track on the first video). Most adaptations, for good reason (based on their initial 8-bit form), are metal of some kind, which brings us to my contributions for today:





(In Japan, the series is known as Akumajo, which slightly transliterates and translates "Dracula Battle", thus the title.) (More specifically "aku" is a word for evil, as in Samurai Jack's ultimate bad guy, but it also sounds like a pun transliterating Dracula into Japanese. Often the titles will be a variation of "Akumajo Dracula", but sometimes it's just "Akumajo something-else". ;) )

These albums were commissioned by Konami directly in 1994 and 1995, and are often regarded by fans as either the best adaptations of the various themes or in the top 5 at least. There is much butt-kicking.

You're welcome.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on October 04, 2020, 08:05:41 PM
Ooh nice
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: LuckyMan on October 08, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
All soundtracks from Lineage 2.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 08, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 28, 2020, 07:05:14 AM
Whaaaaa???  This hasn't been mentioned yet?




I was just going to post that.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on October 08, 2020, 01:40:54 PM
One of the many excellent games I have never played :/
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 08, 2020, 04:06:34 PM
Never played....but....but you're the funkiest!
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on October 08, 2020, 04:33:18 PM
...until I've showered.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 08, 2020, 06:53:12 PM
Oh sure!  You say don't creep on you in a different thread and then you throw this in my face.  F#%*ing tease.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on October 08, 2020, 07:30:03 PM
Long ago I put the I76 soundtrack together with the soundtracks to the Trigun and Cowboy Beebop animes. Works like a charm!

That game's last mission is diamond hard, though. Even with John deLancie (of Q fame) being the main villain, if I recall correctly, I got seriously tired of resetting it to replay. After a few dozen attempts I ended up beating it with an ice cream truck, out of sheer desperation to use something with enough armor to let me survive long enough to win.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on October 08, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
^Only here would that paragraph ever appear.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: JasonPratt on October 08, 2020, 08:12:09 PM
I was going to ask "which paragraph", and then I realized the statement was multi-purpose.
Title: Re: Favorite PC Game Soundtracks of All Time
Post by: Gusington on October 08, 2020, 08:46:19 PM
 8)