Sept 30th Early Access on GOG.com and Steam!
>:D
Wow that is really soon. Thanks for posting.
Like all the Divinity games made in Belgium 8).
Going to be a long EA; up to a year according to the Steam page. Will release into EA with ACT I.
Wow!
Be advised though: EA only includes Act 1.
Too long to wait. I want it now, now, NOW!
If Minsc and Boo are not in it - I don't want it.
Evil has gone on too long without a thorough butt-kicking! :D
GIGGITY..GIGGITY!!
Mmmm ... some types of games ok for EA ... not sure of the point for an RPG
pushed back a week until october 6th
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2020, 05:18:09 PM
pushed back a week until october 6th
But it's early access....not full release....right?
Quote from: Rayfer on September 24, 2020, 06:53:35 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2020, 05:18:09 PM
pushed back a week until october 6th
But it's early access....not full release....right?
Yes, still early access release....although the price seems to be what a normal release would be:)
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2020, 08:03:59 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 24, 2020, 06:53:35 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2020, 05:18:09 PM
pushed back a week until october 6th
But it's early access....not full release....right?
Yes, still early access release....although the price seems to be what a normal release would be:)
Thanks. I really enjoyed BG:1 and 2 but wonder if 3 will be an 'in-name-only' connection to the first two. I'm not saying it is or isn't. I await the input from posters on this site for the answer...!
^ Agree! I eagerly await Sir Slash's opinion on BG. He understands the deep meaning of Minsc and Boo. :)
I am about 25 hours into Divinity: Original Sin 2 and I enjoy it. That said, there is so much content and each battle can be complex, so sometimes I find it a little draining...can't exactly put my finger on why. Maybe I'm just getting older.
But if I am understanding the previews correctly, BGIII will have some structural similarities to the Divinity games but go even further in complexity. It will still by isometric in its main view and with combat, but it looks to have a ton more highly-polished cut scenes, for example.
I hope I am still young enough to handle it!
Funny you mention this. I finally started D2 as well now that I am stuck at home and can use a relaxingly paced game, but I have the same first impression.
It also seems all enemies have ready access to superpowers, which strikes me as odd.
While the game looks absolutely stunning, I also find the screen very cluttered at most times and with the sandbox elements to the story, where more than one way might provide a solution, I find the game doesn't do a good job to giving you classic RPG pointers on where to look.
For example (spoiler, which I think, with 25hrs you're well past), [spoiler]I killed the lady Elf in the cavern (Prison Fort) by accident, but the quest flag icon remains pointing at her. This I find confusing. It was not until much later that I freed the caged Elf in the kitchen held by Griff that I found a new piece of info linked to the previously killed lady Elf.
It takes getting used to, I guess. I truely love the openness of the world and its interactions with people, but it also causes some immersion breaking effects.
I completely purged the kitchen with fire, for example, killing Griff and his compadres, but nobody else in the Fort seems to take notice.
I am pretty sure a blaze the size I produced there would panic people and rally the Magisters to lock us up or hang us on the spot. :) [/spoiler]
Voice acting is very well done by the way. The productions values of the game just radiate professionalism and style.
Pillars of Eternity 1 was great but then in No. 2 they upped the combat complexity and kind of lost me. Most of the time, I just let the AI NPC's do their own thing and just watch. :'( Hope this doesn't happen in this one. Chopping Goblin heads-off shouldn't be complicated.
Heh I agree - when I really feel like brainless hackin' and slashin' I reach for Diablo III.
Yskonyn I agree too on the main screen clutter and party inventory could also be a little smoother. Those are minor niggles and now that I've thought about it, it's the writing, story and voice acting that keep me coming back.
And even at 25 hours into Divinity 2, I still have not made it into Driftwood (main city) - my party is just on the outskirts. I really want to see what the big city is like.
That said, I also agree with you on some enemies being overpowered. I have one party member dead in the basement of a cottage outside of Driftwood that I have to wait to rescue because she is surrounded by giant monsters that are 2-3 levels above yo party members.
So yes a little more guidance would be good in Divinity 2 - I know some players would consider it less hardcore that way, though. For reference, I am playing at the 'Exploration' level.
Oh and I just picked up Dragon's Dogma - hoping that offers a little more brainless fun 8)
I didn't even look at the requirements, seems like this will require 150GB of available space.....another one of those big games. Hoping that is not the download size, otherwise that will take me forever.....
YIKES! :hide:
Two words for this game....
Giggity
Giggity
I might need to up my ram to 16GB.
But other than that. Gravy.
150GB? That's a big meatball right there though.
saw additional info suggesting initial load is 80gb, rest reserved for later.
So, I'm the first to admit, I'm slow....
BG3 is coming out today....early access and only the 1st chapter?
They want us to play test/bug squash? Is that my understanding?
Cool, but I can wait for the full release....unless someone smarter than me can tell me what the advantage is for buying into this early access shenanigans.
Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 06, 2020, 11:49:44 AM
So, I'm the first to admit, I'm slow....
BG3 is coming out today....early access and only the 1st chapter?
They want us to play test/bug squash? Is that my understanding?
Cool, but I can wait for the full release....unless someone smarter than me can tell me what the advantage is for buying into this early access shenanigans.
If your going to buy anyways, then gives you a sneak peek if you like now (worst case just sits there)....but if that doesn't interest you, then absolutely should hold off since there doesn't appear to be any price discounts or bonus for doing it.
If any one is interested Ars threw up a first look article...and it's not flattering in the least to the game.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/
Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
If any one is interested Ars threw up a first look article...and it's not flattering in the least to the game.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/
While it's just one person's opinion, this is enough for me to hold off.
quill18 has started a series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8TUjJtzgJM
Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 06, 2020, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
If any one is interested Ars threw up a first look article...and it's not flattering in the least to the game.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/
While it's just one person's opinion, this is enough for me to hold off.
These are
far more positive (and remember : very early access !)
https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-review
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-review/
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-gameplay-release-date-3985081
Baldur's Gate 3 early verdict?
Baldur's Gate 3 is still very much a work in progress. But the early access build oozes potential, featuring great character creation dynamics, amazingly varied combat mechanics and a rich and vibrant premise that looks set to do the epic RPG franchise justice.
But, it is not a full game yet. As a result, if you just want to play for its story you will be better off waiting and hitting it fresh when the final product finally appears sometime next year. The only players that will really benefit from it in its current state are hardcore fans that want to be part of the game's development by offering Larian direct feedback as it's made.
I agree Pete, and the Ars first look seemed...biased for some reason.
I looked at Jim's review history and it has literally 1 other game in the year of history I checked...Wasteland 3.
I take the review with a pretty big grain of salt and I feel like Larian will fix a number of the issues (I imagine balance concerns is a big issue causing some of the major gripes)
The whole "passing dialogue checks results in worse options; failing results in good options" thing sounds awful. The example in that article doesn't even make sense. You pass an intelligence check, so the mindflayer starts taking you over - but if you fail, you're totally fine? What? Shouldn't it be the other way around? That seems like it's gotta be a glitch, but it sounds like it's baked into the encounter.
Quote from: al_infierno on October 06, 2020, 01:28:50 PM
The whole "passing dialogue checks results in worse options; failing results in good options" thing sounds awful. The example in that article doesn't even make sense. You pass an intelligence check, so the mindflayer starts taking you over - but if you fail, you're totally fine? What? Shouldn't it be the other way around? That seems like it's gotta be a glitch, but it sounds like it's baked into the encounter.
If you look closely at the choices it seems like you have a chance to walk away in that encounter but the author purposely kept up the path of death.
Kinda like the game that tells you multiple times to not touch a button and then you go and press it anyway.
Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on October 06, 2020, 01:28:50 PM
The whole "passing dialogue checks results in worse options; failing results in good options" thing sounds awful. The example in that article doesn't even make sense. You pass an intelligence check, so the mindflayer starts taking you over - but if you fail, you're totally fine? What? Shouldn't it be the other way around? That seems like it's gotta be a glitch, but it sounds like it's baked into the encounter.
If you look closely at the choices it seems like you have a chance to walk away in that encounter but the author purposely kept up the path of death.
Kinda like the game that tells you multiple times to not touch a button and then you go and press it anyway.
I get that aspect of the design philosophy, I just don't like how they executed it. Why would failing an intelligence check save you from an enemy who attacks you with mind control? Shouldn't lower intelligence make you
more susceptible to mental attacks, not less? I can understand passing a skill check not automatically being a good thing, but I'd expect to see more logical consistency in what's being checked and how that affects the result.
It appears{?} to have some of the same battle mechanics from Original Sin 1/2, exploding barrels, using the environment etc which least to me have no business in a BG title. Will pass for now.
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on October 07, 2020, 12:52:17 AM
It appears{?} to have some of the same battle mechanics from Original Sin 1/2, exploding barrels, using the environment etc which least to me have no business in a BG title. Will pass for now.
Yes that's confirmed. It lends many mechanics from Original Sin / 2 and has DnD 5E rules attached to them.
I am not sure 5E is a good fit for computer games. The whole idea with 5E was to return back to storytelling and get rid of the tech / crunch bloat, 3.5 'suffered' from. But I think the more technical rules of 3.5 makes it excellent for translation into a videogame.
Anyway. I don't see why the physics mechanics as seen Divinity couldn't have its place in a BG game? It makes combat pretty interesting and tactical.
I really wanted this game, but after reading SOME constructive well laid out reviews online and Steam (there are some actually) this game is a pass for me. I'll pick it up in 2023 in the bargain pin
Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 07, 2020, 09:36:41 AM
I really wanted this game, but after reading SOME constructive well laid out reviews online and Steam (there are some actually) this game is a pass for me. I'll pick it up in 2023 in the bargain pin
+1 I loved 1 and 2 but this will await a future sale for under $10.00
For me, the problem with the game on Steam is that Valve decided to charge us in Israel $80 (USD, not AUD or CAD or such), $20 more than the standard price.
I've had it with these racist regional pricing.
I have to pay 33% more so someone else in the world can receive it for free?!
Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2020, 05:05:52 PM
For me, the problem with the game on Steam is that Valve decided to charge us in Israel $80 (USD, not AUD or CAD or such), $20 more than the standard price.
I've had it with these racist regional pricing.
I have to pay 33% more so someone else in the world can receive it for free?!
Is that routine? Do you pay significantly more for a lot of games that only need to be D/L'd?
Quote from: Ubercat on October 11, 2020, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2020, 05:05:52 PM
For me, the problem with the game on Steam is that Valve decided to charge us in Israel $80 (USD, not AUD or CAD or such), $20 more than the standard price.
I've had it with these racist regional pricing.
I have to pay 33% more so someone else in the world can receive it for free?!
Is that routine? Do you pay significantly more for a lot of games that only need to be D/L'd?
Sadly, on places like Steam, I do.
When Electronic Arts came back to Steam, Jedi Fallen Order had over 80% price markup for Israelis (no joke, having to pay almost twice as much as we should).
Epic and GOG were generally more fair in their regional pricing.
Valve just loves to pander heavily to the Chinese and Russians so they need people to fund those subsidies.