GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2020, 03:21:11 PM

Title: Port Royal 4
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2020, 03:21:11 PM
I had no idea this was in the works...much less out for release today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024650/Port_Royale_4/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024650/Port_Royale_4/)
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Old TImer on September 25, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
I'd be interested, but it sounds like the naval battles suck.  Now why you would make a pirates
game and have the naval battles suck is beyond my comprehension.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2020, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on September 25, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
I'd be interested, but it sounds like the naval battles suck.  Now why you would make a pirates
game and have the naval battles suck is beyond my comprehension.

Well, its not really a "pirates game" nor has combat ever been the focus. Its more of an economic strategy game with combat as a secondary component. I agree though, the combat in the trailer looked less than satisfying.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 25, 2020, 04:21:12 PM
I always go into games like this or Patrician with high hopes and they always kick my ass.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: bobarossa on September 25, 2020, 05:33:17 PM
They seemed to have turned things upside down with a real-time strategy layer and turn-based tactical battles.  I've never played any of the previous Port Royale games but have played a couple of the Patrician ones. 

edit: so I just looked and of course I own Port Royale 2 on GOG but have never played it!
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 25, 2020, 07:01:24 PM
Well now is the time then, eh?
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 25, 2020, 07:20:41 PM
I'll take a shot at this game at some point, but $50 a little too steep for what I likely would get out of it....
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: glen55 on September 26, 2020, 04:14:13 AM
I played the heck out of PR 3. It's an island-management economic RTS like Tropico with the twist that the point of your economy is to support a pirate ship/fleet that goes out on cruises and brings back goodies that correlate to how well you fitted it out. I kind of wore out on that genre, but a well-done PR 4 could get me back in.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Rayfer on September 26, 2020, 06:45:01 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 25, 2020, 04:21:12 PM
I always go into games like this or Patrician with high hopes and they always kick my ass.

Sadly, I know the feeling as well. 
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on September 26, 2020, 07:54:34 AM
I've been following it for a while now. I already Port Royal back then. The problem i see, is that it's still the same game. I think i'll take a look at it when it's on sale. Port Royale 3 is good enough for me right now. And i still have to play Rise of Venise and Patrician IV first.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 26, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
I am shocked you have not played Rise of Venice!
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:22:30 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
I am shocked you have not played Rise of Venice!
I have it but didn't have the time to play it yet. You liked it?
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 27, 2020, 02:18:21 PM
Haven't played it 😎

But you have very specific, old school gaming tastes and I would think you would be all over it!
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on September 28, 2020, 03:36:55 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2020, 02:18:21 PM
Haven't played it 😎

But you have very specific, old school gaming tastes and I would think you would be all over it!

Ah ah, you're right....but i am also a very slow player....still have a lot of games that i have yet to play ;)
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 28, 2020, 06:06:53 AM
Me too, I know the pain :)
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: mbar on September 28, 2020, 10:27:29 AM
Seeing PR4 gave me flashbacks to Winds of Trade. Not sure why they chose turn-based combat this time.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on September 30, 2020, 02:11:03 AM
I believe they think it's more tactical...and now you can control more ships during the battle. I haven't tried it yet.
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on September 30, 2020, 02:12:05 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
I am shocked you have not played Rise of Venice!
Man, now i've started playing it! It's going to be one of my main games for october.  :D
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Gusington on September 30, 2020, 06:24:58 AM
The universe has now realigned  >:D
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: FlickJax on October 02, 2020, 06:36:50 AM
Port Royale 2 had more combat and I liked it a lot, 3 I hated too much trade orientated
Title: Re: Port Royal 4
Post by: Anguille on October 02, 2020, 07:01:03 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on October 02, 2020, 06:36:50 AM
Port Royale 2 had more combat and I liked it a lot, 3 I hated too much trade orientated

You can play as Pirate in Port Royale 3. But i find the battles too fast for my taste. I think everyone agrees that Port Royale 2 is the best game they made.