GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: fran on September 26, 2020, 01:20:52 PM

Title: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: fran on September 26, 2020, 01:20:52 PM
I had a look at the upcoming Empire of Sin( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ljgWuUhH0&ab_channel=ParadoxExtra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ljgWuUhH0&ab_channel=ParadoxExtra)) So Mafia-style game with
campaign + sandbox, and with turn-based combat.  Definitely ticks some of the boxes for me.

Is Paradox the best publisher out there today? They are definitely getting better with their releases, take Crusader Kings 3 release, it was solid from day one.

Plus they do tend to support (and yes make money in the process) by supporting their games for a long time.

Your thoughts?
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Gusington on September 26, 2020, 01:46:10 PM
Empire of Sin looks awesome, but it's an RTS style game, not a shooter like Mafia. They are both set in organized crime, 1930s style worlds, though.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Old TImer on September 26, 2020, 04:01:40 PM
Probably my most anticipated game in years.  Love that they'll make it easy for modders too.

Paradox definitely comes up with some compelling games.  I think they learned their lesson
with Imperator Rome though not to rush out titles.  And while I don't generally like their
DLC focus, I can't wait for DLCs for Empire of Sin (NYC, LA etc).
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
I had fun with Omerta. What is it you didn't like?
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
I had fun with Omerta. What is it you didn't like?

It's been a long time since played so I might get some of this wrong and/or maybe some of my concerns got worked out in DLC, but from what I recall:

- The atmosphere never felt really gangster-like...from how the game was graphically, music, and general mood.  Felt a little too "happy" and "bright" versus a little more dark and sinister.

- Thought the strategy layer was pretty light; remember it being a little too simplistic and not keeping my attention; just seemed a little boring to me

- Character creation was very basic, basically you answered a survey with pre existing portraits

- The map seemed small and couldn't zoom out very well

- If I recall correctly, your gang really never got that big

- Although I liked the concept of the xcom fights, recall them being not that great or realistic; missing things that you shouldn't

- etc.

It's been too long to remember much more, but bottomline is it just failed to meet my expectations.  When this game was first announced, it was a must have and immediate purchase for me.  I wanted to love it, but simply didn't provide me what I was looking for in this type of game.  Empire of Sin seems like it could be a good one, but I am cautious about it and trying to keep my expectations down.  Time will tell.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: fran on September 27, 2020, 06:07:24 AM
Quote from: gregb41352 on September 26, 2020, 04:01:40 PM
Probably my most anticipated game in years.  Love that they'll make it easy for modders too.

Paradox definitely comes up with some compelling games.  I think they learned their lesson
with Imperator Rome though not to rush out titles.  And while I don't generally like their
DLC focus, I can't wait for DLCs for Empire of Sin (NYC, LA etc).

Yes, I agree with the DLC cost, it is probably worthwhile to spend more upfront to get the Expansion pass if you know it is a title that you are going to sink a lot of your time into. Even if it is a large one time spend, divided by the hours of entertainment it is money well spent. If it does not fit your pocket, or you are not sure of the game you can always wait to get it on sale.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Old TImer on September 27, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
Up and pre-ordered Empire of Sin.  Just can't wait for it.  I hope my optimism isn't misplaced but I
watched a stream of the play and it looks really good.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on September 27, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
Up and pre-ordered Empire of Sin.  Just can't wait for it.  I hope my optimism isn't misplaced but I
watched a stream of the play and it looks really good.

I am trying to stay optimistic too, but when I see being also released on all the consoles (xbox, playstation, switch, etc.), I always get an uneasy feeling.....I haven't pre ordered yet, I'll wait to it gets closer before I do that.  But I truly hope it is a great game.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Yskonyn on September 28, 2020, 02:57:40 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on September 27, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
Up and pre-ordered Empire of Sin.  Just can't wait for it.  I hope my optimism isn't misplaced but I
watched a stream of the play and it looks really good.

I am trying to stay optimistic too, but when I see being also released on all the consoles (xbox, playstation, switch, etc.), I always get an uneasy feeling.....I haven't pre ordered yet, I'll wait to it gets closer before I do that.  But I truly hope it is a great game.

Exactly this!
When did there ever release an intricate, deep strategy game on consoles?
I suspect this will be mainstream drivel, but I so hope I will be proven wrong!!
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 28, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
^Stellaris is on consoles.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 28, 2020, 07:24:52 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 28, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
^Stellaris is on consoles.

Fair point.  I do hope it turns out well so will continue to keep my eye on it, hopefully more information/gameplay gets shown prior to release.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Yskonyn on September 28, 2020, 07:45:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 28, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
^Stellaris is on consoles.

Ah didn't know that. Fair point!
Curious, is it a full fledged version?
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 28, 2020, 08:12:25 AM
I don't think it has had any features removed, but I'm not 100% sure since I have not played it on console. I do, however, believe that the console version is behind the PC version as far as updates and DLC goes, so some of the systems and mechanics that have seen major reworks on PC have not been implemented into the console version yet.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Anguille on September 30, 2020, 02:16:39 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
I had fun with Omerta. What is it you didn't like?

It's been a long time since played so I might get some of this wrong and/or maybe some of my concerns got worked out in DLC, but from what I recall:

- The atmosphere never felt really gangster-like...from how the game was graphically, music, and general mood.  Felt a little too "happy" and "bright" versus a little more dark and sinister.

- Thought the strategy layer was pretty light; remember it being a little too simplistic and not keeping my attention; just seemed a little boring to me

- Character creation was very basic, basically you answered a survey with pre existing portraits

- The map seemed small and couldn't zoom out very well

- If I recall correctly, your gang really never got that big

- Although I liked the concept of the xcom fights, recall them being not that great or realistic; missing things that you shouldn't

- etc.

It's been too long to remember much more, but bottomline is it just failed to meet my expectations.  When this game was first announced, it was a must have and immediate purchase for me.  I wanted to love it, but simply didn't provide me what I was looking for in this type of game.  Empire of Sin seems like it could be a good one, but I am cautious about it and trying to keep my expectations down.  Time will tell.
I understand. I have to say that i don't have much experience with Mafia type of games. I really love the music in the game but yes, it's mostly joyful music.
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 30, 2020, 06:33:23 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 30, 2020, 02:16:39 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
I had fun with Omerta. What is it you didn't like?

It's been a long time since played so I might get some of this wrong and/or maybe some of my concerns got worked out in DLC, but from what I recall:

- The atmosphere never felt really gangster-like...from how the game was graphically, music, and general mood.  Felt a little too "happy" and "bright" versus a little more dark and sinister.

- Thought the strategy layer was pretty light; remember it being a little too simplistic and not keeping my attention; just seemed a little boring to me

- Character creation was very basic, basically you answered a survey with pre existing portraits

- The map seemed small and couldn't zoom out very well

- If I recall correctly, your gang really never got that big

- Although I liked the concept of the xcom fights, recall them being not that great or realistic; missing things that you shouldn't

- etc.

It's been too long to remember much more, but bottomline is it just failed to meet my expectations.  When this game was first announced, it was a must have and immediate purchase for me.  I wanted to love it, but simply didn't provide me what I was looking for in this type of game.  Empire of Sin seems like it could be a good one, but I am cautious about it and trying to keep my expectations down.  Time will tell.
I understand. I have to say that i don't have much experience with Mafia type of games. I really love the music in the game but yes, it's mostly joyful music.

Time will tell....I truly hope this new game turns out great....I just have my reservations but I would gladly be willing to be very wrong.....
Title: Re: Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?
Post by: ArizonaTank on October 01, 2020, 08:48:08 AM
Quote from: fran on September 26, 2020, 01:20:52 PM
I had a look at the upcoming Empire of Sin( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ljgWuUhH0&ab_channel=ParadoxExtra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ljgWuUhH0&ab_channel=ParadoxExtra)) So Mafia-style game with
campaign + sandbox, and with turn-based combat.  Definitely ticks some of the boxes for me.


I was a fan of "Gangsters." It was released in 1998 and I have been looking for a game to take over where it left off ever since.

"Gangsters" was pretty flawed (actually it is still available on GOG), but was also wonderful. Open sandbox...strategy, character development, and tactical gunfights were all there. The game was also very deep and took a bunch of time just to understand. Marred by a sometimes clunky interface and bugs, "Gangsters" just never reached its full potential. But I loved the concepts.

I found "Omerta" to be disappointing on several levels...the biggest was that it just seemed to be "candy coated" to me. I can't explain it better than that. I felt it never had "Gangsters" potential.

"Empire of Sin" seems like it will be the game to finally take over where "Gangsters" left off... crossing my fingers on this one.