GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2020, 11:24:21 AM

Title: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2020, 11:24:21 AM
For $6 when not on sale.

That is all.


...yes of course I promptly bought it. Duh.

...yes, even though I have a CDRom of it, which for all I know doesn't work anymore on my system anyway. This is literally what GoG's purpose is for! (Well, that and to earn more cash from CDProjekt's Witcher game series than selling them elsewhere.)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2020, 11:39:39 AM
About time...knew this was coming from our developer interview some time ago, but thanks for the heads up.

Instant purchase for me too...
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2020, 12:26:32 PM
Here is a link to our interview with EotFS creator Andrew Greenberg.

http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/19833 (http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/19833)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: CJReich46 on October 19, 2020, 12:35:25 PM
 :o

wow!


Yeah I grabbed it. :buck2:
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Gusington on October 19, 2020, 12:49:50 PM
 <:-)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: bobarossa on October 19, 2020, 04:07:31 PM
Does someone have a link or list of the patches?  I remember having a link to Vogons (?) a decade ago.  I will pick up as my CD tries to automatically install DX3(?) if I recall correctly.

edit: I realize I could probably look all this up on the internet but that would require effort on my part.  Anybody want to come over an fix me dinner and pour me a beer?  I just can't be bothered.  Well maybe I will pour the beer eventually.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: steve58 on October 19, 2020, 04:38:46 PM
I'm buying...

(https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6fJdRHq9O9lqFxmM/source.gif)

Any good mods for ETFS?
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2020, 05:03:50 PM
A handful of mods.

Look here: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16903.0 (http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16903.0)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2020, 05:49:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

I'll probably get it.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: al_infierno on October 19, 2020, 11:40:33 PM
Gives me some strong Shadow Empire vibes.  Is it still pretty playable today?  I imagine it's probably along the same lines as the original X-Com, where there's an incredibly addicting if flawed game cycle underneath the terribly dated UI.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: airboy on October 20, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
I went back and looked at reviews of this 1996 game.  There were a lot of positives but two big negatives.

Negative 1: It is buggy.

Negative 2: The manual is woefully incomplete.

Is it still buggy?  Are there strategy guides out there which overcome the problems with the manual?
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: JasonPratt on October 21, 2020, 01:51:54 PM
My loose impression is that various fan patches (like Hyperion) have nixed the bugs.

I don't even have loose impressions about the manuals being fan-upgraded.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 21, 2020, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: airboy on October 20, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
I went back and looked at reviews of this 1996 game.  There were a lot of positives but two big negatives.

Negative 1: It is buggy.

Negative 2: The manual is woefully incomplete.

Is it still buggy?  Are there strategy guides out there which overcome the problems with the manual?

Interesting but concerning. Thank goodness modern games don't have those particular faults! Yep, Developers have learned their lessons.

Right?
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: W8taminute on October 22, 2020, 07:23:03 AM
I'm going to have to check this out and pick it up because at that price it's worth the risk, buggy or no.   :)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Tpek on October 24, 2020, 04:13:39 PM
Quote from: solops on October 21, 2020, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: airboy on October 20, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
I went back and looked at reviews of this 1996 game.  There were a lot of positives but two big negatives.

Negative 1: It is buggy.

Negative 2: The manual is woefully incomplete.

Is it still buggy?  Are there strategy guides out there which overcome the problems with the manual?

Interesting but concerning. Thank goodness modern games don't have those particular faults! Yep, Developers have learned their lessons.

Right?

They sure did.
After long and hard deliberations they decided to fix these issues by simply not having a manual at all :P
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: W8taminute on October 25, 2020, 08:24:00 PM
Well I bought the game and I must say it is very addictive!  My Win10 machine seems to be running it bug free (knock on wood).

I really like this game.  I'm going to have to check out some of the mods now too.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 25, 2020, 09:03:07 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 25, 2020, 08:24:00 PM
Well I bought the game

+1
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 25, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
OK, JH. One of you Emperor fans needs to go throught the installation process of this old game from GOG that will walk the rest of us through the steps of bringing the game up-to-date (fan patch, essential mod, etc).
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: bobarossa on October 26, 2020, 04:58:47 PM
Picked up this afternoon.  Pulled out my old paper documentation.  I can barely read the 17x15 info sheet even while wearing reading glasses!  What has happened to my eyes that last 20 years?

Recently started playing WITE again so may not get to EOTFS for a year or so.  :o
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: solops on October 25, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
OK, JH. One of you Emperor fans needs to go throught the installation process of this old game from GOG that will walk the rest of us through the steps of bringing the game up-to-date (fan patch, essential mod, etc).

There a four main mods. The consensus is that the Reality mod is the best. It patches most of the egregious bugs, but otherwise leaves the game pretty much vanilla. I think its the best place to start.

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao)

The other main mods are:
Emperor Wars - https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/ (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/) (requires Reality mod)
Nova - https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm (https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm)
Hyperion - https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html (https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html)
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 26, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
I cannot get the game to run. I installed on C drive in the default directory, boot and then watch as the screen changes resolution, I see the Segasoft splash screen and then blam! the game disappears and it goes back to my desktop....without my mouse cursor. I have to reboot my PC. Any guesses?
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Millipede on October 27, 2020, 01:43:08 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
There a four main mods. The consensus is that the Reality mod is the best. It patches most of the egregious bugs, but otherwise leaves the game pretty much vanilla. I think its the best place to start.
Thanks JH... good stuff!
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: W8taminute on October 27, 2020, 02:08:09 PM
Quote from: solops on October 26, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
I cannot get the game to run. I installed on C drive in the default directory, boot and then watch as the screen changes resolution, I see the Segasoft splash screen and then blam! the game disappears and it goes back to my desktop....without my mouse cursor. I have to reboot my PC. Any guesses?

It could have something to do with the intro video of the game.  I disabled it because it is annoyingly looooooooooooooong and there is no way to bypass it...

Unless you go into the config file and do it there.  See this link: https://www.kborek.cz/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1128

Here is the quoted post:

Quote"and if you get a black screen at startup, this little tidbit helps too. I run this way in my default build.

It's attempting to run the opening video -- which probably bonks out on modern computers. In the DAT folder, there's an EFS.INI file and if you set "video_on=0", it skips the video loading attempt."
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 27, 2020, 06:44:12 PM
That fixed it:

"It's attempting to run the opening video -- which probably bonks out on modern computers. In the DAT folder, there's an EFS.INI file and if you set "video_on=0", it skips the video loading attempt."
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: solops on October 28, 2020, 10:42:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: solops on October 25, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
OK, JH. One of you Emperor fans needs to go throught the installation process of this old game from GOG that will walk the rest of us through the steps of bringing the game up-to-date (fan patch, essential mod, etc).

There a four main mods. The consensus is that the Reality mod is the best. It patches most of the egregious bugs, but otherwise leaves the game pretty much vanilla. I think its the best place to start.

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao)

The other main mods are:
Emperor Wars - https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/ (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/) (requires Reality mod)
Nova - https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm (https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm)
Hyperion - https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html (https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html)

Thanks JH. I got the game to run and now I need to carve out time to play it. From what you say, the way to start is to play with the Reality Mod and then try the others later.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2020, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: solops on October 28, 2020, 10:42:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: solops on October 25, 2020, 09:07:51 PM
OK, JH. One of you Emperor fans needs to go throught the installation process of this old game from GOG that will walk the rest of us through the steps of bringing the game up-to-date (fan patch, essential mod, etc).

There a four main mods. The consensus is that the Reality mod is the best. It patches most of the egregious bugs, but otherwise leaves the game pretty much vanilla. I think its the best place to start.

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao)

The other main mods are:
Emperor Wars - https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/ (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/) (requires Reality mod)
Nova - https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm (https://web.archive.org/web/20180722215459/http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/home.htm)
Hyperion - https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html (https://hyperion.twarriors.com/hyperion.html)

Thanks JH. I got the game to run and now I need to carve out time to play it. From what you say, the way to start is to play with the Reality Mod and then try the others later.

Totally up to you. Personally, I think its worth experiencing the vanilla game before adding new rules and concepts through the mods.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: bobarossa on October 28, 2020, 05:23:13 PM
Yeah, I'm doing vanilla until I remeber how the game works (generally).  Most important thing I've forgotten since I last played the game (15+ years ago): you can't turn research labs off.  You can select none but it still costs you 500 per turn (1/3 of my expenses!).  You are charged research points equal to 1% of the original cost of researched techs as maintenance fee so research points are needed every turn).
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: W8taminute on October 29, 2020, 09:57:59 AM
I'm doing the same thing and playing the vanilla game before I try any of the mods.  I've never played this game before so there is a learning curve.  I found out the hard way that if you don't have sufficient funds to support research not only does your research stop but you lose everything you have already researched.  Now my tech tree is blank and I have to start all over again.  I don't get why but for now I'm just rolling with it and continuing my game.
Title: Re: Ahem -- EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS now available at GoG!
Post by: bobarossa on October 29, 2020, 02:36:45 PM
There is a maintenance requirement for researched technology equal to 1% of its original cost.  I think it was a way to slow research down by eating up research points in maintenance  as you got more advanced.  It also makes it an enormous penalty if you build porscribed techs and the Church destroys all your labs!

Another thing I've remembered is that the League is busy building up a warchest using the money you spend on their goods.  When it reaches a certain point they will rebel and try to take over the universe and restore the republic(?). 

As a bonus for throwing my vote behind another power, I was appointed head of the Stigmata.  Now I get to try to fight off the Symbiot invasion!