GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: airboy on October 20, 2020, 12:42:15 PM

Title: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: airboy on October 20, 2020, 12:42:15 PM
According to Steam, I've played > 500 hours of Fallout New Vegas.

It has been my goto RPG game if I did not want to play a D&D type.

This week I launched a modded New Vegas that has greatly renewed the appeal of the game for me.

The mods I'm using are:
a] Fallout anti-crash mod (which has helped a lot)
b] New Vegas Bounties 1
c] New Vegas Bounties 2
d] A World of Pain

What this has done is generate a ton of new encounter locations.  Some of the locations are very tough and located close to Goodsprings.  I think that stimpacks are rarer and not quite as effective.  Reloading becomes an option early on, and a very good store has been added on the outskirts of Goodsprings.

I'm up to level 13 now, and still have not ventured into Nipton.  I've also died more times.  The World of Pain mod adds much tougher versions of all of the generic opponents.

I'm very pleased how this is playing since I knew the original locations in New Vegas almost by heart.

I am concerned about how bad Cazadors & Legion Bounty Hunters may be with this mod - I've not gotten into the encounter areas with them yet, and they were responsible for more kills on my characters than anything else in the unmodded New Vegas. 

I hate Cazadors like Martok hates spiders.
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: Rayfer on October 20, 2020, 02:26:57 PM
Agree....a great rpg fps. I checked Steam...I have 150 hours into it with no mods but with the dlc's.  It remains one of the rare games of this genre that I finished to the end. Did it allied with the NCR.  I one disappointment is they never opened it up for the Steam Workshop.
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: airboy on October 20, 2020, 06:31:07 PM
I downloaded the mods and put them directly into my Steam game.  I did not employ the workshop.
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: Rayfer on October 21, 2020, 06:06:55 AM
Quote from: airboy on October 20, 2020, 06:31:07 PM
I downloaded the mods and put them directly into my Steam game.  I did not employ the workshop.

There is no Steam Workshop for Fallout New Vegas....I wish there was, it makes the mod process so much easier for those like myself who are computer dopes.  :-\
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: airboy on October 21, 2020, 08:40:48 AM
I found the explanation for the mods to be very easy to understand at the nexus mods site.  You downloaded some files, put them in some very easy to find folders.  You downloaded and ran the mod manager program.  Opened the game briefly to initialize it to your computer.  Left game, reopened with the mod manager rolling and I was set.
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2020, 03:32:52 PM
.
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: Pete Dero on October 22, 2020, 02:43:03 AM
Not the same game and reviews weren't any good but :

You can now play Fallout 76 for free between now and October 26th : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151340/Fallout_76/
Title: Re: Renewing Fallout New Vegas
Post by: airboy on October 22, 2020, 09:22:05 AM
^ Thanks - but I prefer a single player RPG.