We're looking at getting a VR headset for our son for Xmas, he's main gaming is on PS4 though he also plays on PC. Does anyone have any input on which would be the best route for VR? - is PS4 well supported (ie: plenty of games) in this format or is PC the way to go?
I'm totally new to this & from my research it appears they're mutually exclusive - in that a PC VR system won't work with PS4 & vice - versa.
Any guidance would be appreciated - it's a surprise present otherwise I'd ask him!
Thanks & Regards
PSVR is not the way to go. It is forward facing only, so it's generally a seated experience and will drastically limit the VR environment and your gaming options.
I'd say go with the Oculus Quest 2. Its a great starter headset and does not even need a PC to use. You can get a link connector that hooks it up to the PC so you can take advantage of the added power that a good gaming PC affords, but I've found that the Quest 2 is good, even without the link.
Another positive is that it is very affordable. You can get the 64 gb model for only $299. The 256 gb version is only $399. There are other options, but they are more costly and my recommendation would be based on what he intends to use it for mostly, as they each excel at something different, i.e. resolution, FOV, etc.
I agree with Jarhead. My son just got the Quest 2 and he's really enjoying it. You don't have to hook it up to the PC but the bigger games will still run seamlessly if you do.
One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to couple a Facebook account. That may be a showstopper for some.
Just posted for completeness.
The headset is very nice!
Many thanks for the advice - that's changed my direction of travel. I'll look more into the Quest 2 - thanks for the pointer Jarhead.
Regards