I actually have no idea what I'll be playing this weekend. Should be interesting...
Everyone enjoy.
That song will forever and always remind me of both Full Metal Jacket and Family Guy.
Got my ass handed to me in the Panzer Corps 2 Kursk campaign on 'Normal' difficulty. Going to nurse my wounds and try some Order of Battle - either Panzerkrieg or Red Steel.
And continue with Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 07:39:12 AM
That song will forever and always remind me of both Full Metal Jacket and Family Guy.
Yup. Me too.
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 07:39:12 AM
And continue with Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Is this any good? Got horrible reviews.
Excellent song.
I have been trying a lot to pass mission 11 in
Star Wars Starfighter (on easy) but keep on losing that mission. Either i crash or the guy i am supposed to protect dies. Will try again. Does someone know how i can change the view? I am such a loser at this types of games L:-)
Then i will play some
Endless Space and some
Genesis Rising
Could always imagine the sales pitch when it came to that song.
"Okay, here it goes...it's a song where "Bird," is the "word," and then I ask if everyone has heard about it."
Everyone else: ???
"Oh, and the song goes on, like, forever too."
Everyone else: ???
Anyhoo, thanks to a backup in the pipes a few weeks ago, I get to play Home Flooring Installation this weekend, so fuck you, knees!
Have fun, all, and stay safe.
Good tune.
Anguille from that video you posted it looks like you completed the mission successfully.
^Hahaha!! The perfect song, and perfect pitch.
JH - I am enjoying Youngblood...I think a ton of the horrible reviews come from its SJW/PC bent. The game itself runs well, has great writing and stories, solid weapons and a very cool 80s vibe. In short (like me) I think it gets a unwarranted bad rap.
I'm doing a writeup on it and should have it to you Sunday.
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 09:35:30 AM
^Hahaha!! The perfect song, and perfect pitch.
JH - I am enjoying Youngblood...I think a ton of the horrible reviews come from its SJW/PC bent. The game itself runs well, has great writing and stories, solid weapons and a very cool 80s vibe. In short (like me) I think it gets a unwarranted bad rap.
I'm doing a writeup on it and should have it to you Sunday.
Sweet!
Quote from: W8taminute on February 05, 2021, 09:33:51 AM
Good tune.
Anguille from that video you posted it looks like you completed the mission successfully.
Unfortunatley, this is not me! I've looked at different videos to see how i can improve myself.
Quote from: Anguille on February 05, 2021, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 05, 2021, 09:33:51 AM
Good tune.
Anguille from that video you posted it looks like you completed the mission successfully.
This is not me! I've looked at different videos to see how i can improve myself.
Oh I thought that was you. I've never played this game but based on experience with similar games where you must escort someone to a final destination you generally don't want to wander too far away. A lot of those targets are put there to distract you from the main mission. Also forget about trying to achieve the bonus objectives on the first attempt. Again the bonus objectives will distract you from the main mission. You can always replay the mission once you have beaten it by completing the main objective.
I remember that song in Full Metal Jacket - the tank firing in that one scene notably. Plus of course *sigh* Family Guy.
Okay besides "digging out the car from all that snow we got dumped on" which I get to do today. ::)
I have The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered I- Tales of the Unknown. My party is doing really well. I have some more grinding in the Sewers below Skara Brae. I am really enjoying this game.
I've got a Shadow Empires game I'm trying to finish off, but have some carpal tunnel-like stuff flaring up. I might have to read more instead!
Can you give any more details on Bard's Tale, CJ? I need a new RPG.
Let's see.... what are my plans this weekend...
Field of Glory II: Medieval
Pitch of Prestige II: Middleaged
Shield of Shmory Shoe: Shedieval
and maybe some Glorious Fields on the side -- you know, of the medieval flavor. 8)
I have my gaming cut out for me this weekend.
What will I not play!?!
I'll be learning Hell Let Loose
Crushing Elves in Age of Wonders 3
Destroying the Russian's in IL-2 BOS
and starting a campaign in Solasta
Other than that . . . not much.
TTFN
If time permits, I'll be checking out some of the Steam Festival demos (that expire Feb 9). I already gave up on The Commission 1920 because I could not figure out what the h3ll I was doing or what was going on....not such a great demo. Will be checking out Slipways and Sphere Flying Cities, but hopefully mostly Victory at Sea Ironclads.
Well answering PBEM turns of which I always seem to have too many. Playtesting three different JTS titles but those are part of the PBEM. Started a Flashpoint Campaign: Red Storm game last weekend and it's bugging the crap out of me as I haven't figured out how to win the Bridge Too Far scenario yet, so more time invested there. Hopefully some Fields of Glory: Medieval as well.
24 hours of work sadly.
:-[
I'm pretty fried from work this past week, so no heavily involved wargaming for me this weekend. I plan on playing more Diablo 3 with my ruthless female barbarian. Other than that, maybe some Lost Cities: The Card Game with the girlfriend.
Stay safe, Grogs!
Groggy
^ I was going to actually ask a question related to that.
I'm completely and utterly exhausted. I'm looking through my game collection over and over, trying to find something that will be fun, but won't burn too much brain. I was starting to think I'm the only one like that.
Honestly, when I get in this mood I usually just default to Poker Night at the Inventory. However, I'm thinking of maybe just booting up Skyrim and jumping in wherever I left off.
Something like Carrier Battles 4 or CK2, or even Cold Waters just feels like way, way too much effort right now.
^Not at all. I'm in my study right now hiding from all the estrogen in my house, blasting Nazis in Wolfenstein: Youngblood, because Order of Battle: Red Steel will take up too much brain.
AND LOVING IT
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 04:14:27 PM
Can you give any more details on Bard's Tale, CJ? I need a new RPG.
The Bard's Tale is a very old RPG it came out in 1985. It uses a first person view, and its more a party based system. There were three in the series - 1- Tales of the Unknown, 2- The Destiny Knight 3- Thief of Fate. It was recently remastered by inXile in 2018. But it was very innovative for its time, graphically it was impressive. There was a massive maze like town to explore, dungeons, sewers, towers etc. It's a good RPG if you just want to dungeon crawl.
I remember reading the ads in my Dad's computer magazines when I was a kid. So when I found it on Game Pass I figured why not give it a shot.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/843260/The_Bards_Tale_Trilogy/
It's also on GOG.com too.
What I like about it is that the remastered version improves so much, its mouse and keyboard driven. So it makes it a bit easier to start out with. You can click on a button for the game manual and it's all spelled out. There's even a cloth map to look at. They added features such as automap, click for spell to cast (mostly like non-combat spells) click for a song for the bard to sing. etc. Bards are unique in this that their songs are magical spells. They only require a drink to be able to sing them. So you can stop at any of the many inns in the town (or if you bought a wineskin at a inn) to get a drink and the bard can sing. Their songs act as buffs for your party.
There is a legacy version- which the gameplay is more like the original. No auto saves, No saving
unless at the Adventurer's Guild, and NO automap. I'm just playing the remastered version.
^I played the original on my C-64 around 1987! Never played any of the others. But it sounds like the remastered version may hold the same kind of magic.
God those were good old days. :dreamer:
STAR CITIZEN - New Xeno Threat missions. Tried one this afternoon actually.
Steel Division 2
Company of Heroes 2
Possibly some Command if I get time.
(https://i.imgur.com/L9pDnUx.jpg)
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 10:06:56 PM
^Not at all. I'm in my study right now hiding from all the estrogen in my house, blasting Nazis in Wolfenstein: Youngblood, because Order of Battle: Red Steel will take up too much brain.
AND LOVING IT
I should have bought that
Stalingrad and Vodka game. That is exactly what I need tonight.
Alright, I'm going to make that a priority for tomorrow. :P
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 08:36:26 PM
:-[
Pretty much the usual: boardgames, and War on the sea (replaces World of Warships) and maybe some HLL.
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2021, 11:27:46 PM
^I played the original on my C-64 around 1987! Never played any of the others. But it sounds like the remastered version may hold the same kind of magic.
I got BT3 for the C64.
Still like that style as it makes the combat somewhat strategic while not extending battles out into 20-30 minute tactical slogfests (I'm looking at you Pool of Radiance). The early D&D games were notorious for long battles due to low level 2nd Ed characters being absolute dogshit and taking 3-4 combat rounds just to land a hit.
I remember the original Bard's Tale being so...mysterious. The game gave you just enough info in the writing and graphics and imagination took over from there. I'm probably too old and jaded, and games too far advanced, to ever get that same exact feeling again :/
Picked up Valheim and having a blast with it so far. It's a procedurally generated survival sandbox base-building game a la The Forest or Minecraft, but the combat is actually pretty good and it has RPG elements like skill progression and boss fights. The early grind is a bit tedious, as in most survival games, but my early impression is really strong. It feels quite polished for an EA title. It's not roblox-based, but still has nice terraforming features and proper procedural generation, so I'm digging it more than The Forest so far (which I enjoyed a lot).
Quote from: al_infierno on February 11, 2021, 05:20:53 AM
Picked up Valheim and having a blast with it so far. It's a procedurally generated survival sandbox base-building game a la The Forest or Minecraft, but the combat is actually pretty good and it has RPG elements like skill progression and boss fights. The early grind is a bit tedious, as in most survival games, but my early impression is really strong. It feels quite polished for an EA title. It's not roblox-based, but still has nice terraforming features and proper procedural generation, so I'm digging it more than The Forest so far (which I enjoyed a lot).
WAB reviewed this as the best survival game he has ever played. Everyone is raving about it. I've wished listed it due to all the favorable reviews, but when watching videos videos and looking at screenshots, it just looks like a standard average survival game to me. Do you play solo or in a group?
I've only been playing solo so far, and I've just gotten past the first boss. If you're not a fan of the survival game formula and the grind that goes along with it, this title won't do anything to convince you otherwise. I had the same impression about the screenshots, but playing the game myself gave me a stronger impression.
Just about to pull the trigger on this, it's in my Steam cart, although I have never played a survival game ever. I have read reviews where players call it Skyrim combined with Far Cry and Dark Souls.
I haven't read any reviews, but that comparison seems like quite a stretch IMO. I can see where it's coming from - the skills system is reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls games (jumping a lot increases your jumping skill, sprinting increases your sprint skill, etc.), and the stamina management and boss fights certainly have a bit of a Dark Souls vibe to them. I'm not sure where the Far Cry comparison is coming from except that there seem to be multiple islands you can travel around.
This seems like a pretty solid entry-point into the genre, but keep in mind that some rather basic progression is locked behind boss fights, which is unusual for survival games. For example, you have to beat the first boss to get a pick-axe to mine stuff or, more importantly, remove rocks that block your base construction. Most survival games let you craft a basic tool like this right out the gate.
^Thanks
Quote from: al_infierno on February 11, 2021, 12:04:06 PM
I've only been playing solo so far, and I've just gotten past the first boss. If you're not a fan of the survival game formula and the grind that goes along with it, this title won't do anything to convince you otherwise. I had the same impression about the screenshots, but playing the game myself gave me a stronger impression.
When you play solo, do you still have to join servers and/or do other players at all end up in your world messing with your things? Or is it completely offline and you don't interact with anyone? If it is the later, then something I might give a try.
Nope, solo is completely offline with the option to host your world(s) as an online lobby, or switch it back at any time. In solo, you can never pause the game though - which might be partially what draws the Dark Souls comparison.