Getting the weekend started a bit early.
Valheim has been devouring my life lately. I maintain that this is the best survival game to date. It rejects tedious survival mechanics like requiring you to eat to stay alive, and spending valuable resources to repair existing structures. Instead, eating food give you bonuses rather than preventing maluses and death, and repairing structures simply costs a chunk of stamina. The devs mentioned that their design philosophy is more informed by the likes of Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls than contemporary survival games, and it shows - yet it's still an extraordinary survival game!
When I'm not buildin-n-craftin, I'll be slogging away in
Field of Glory: Medieval and getting eaten alive repeatedly in
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.
OK, OK, trust me... Once the singing kick in, even the non-metal guys can dig this. :coolsmiley: This is some modern Epic Doom metal in the vein of Black Sabbath and Candlemass. The medieval Britain aesthetic is icing on the cake for a wargaming Anglophile nerd like myself. They released a compilation recently and the artwork is absolutely awesome. Makes me wanna fire up some FoG:M!
(https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a1103674385_10.jpg)
Just about resisting the Valheim hype train that is squishing all before it ....
After completing my first ever Spiderweb game in Avernum Escape From the Pit.....really enjoyed its 80 hour journey....I am now engrossed in Star Traders Frontiers.
I bought this a year ago but refunded it immediately as there is no real tutorial and the UI is quite individual. I then watched a couple of You Tube Let's Plays and we bought it and am totally hooked. Infinite replayability, faction politics, which can be engaged with or ignored and multiple very different play styles and thousands of ship combinations if you take into account all the upgrades.
40 hours and counting on my second run (as a Pirate) after my first as a smuggler came to grief when I was overthrown in a crew revolt. This run is much more combat focused in both ship to ship and boarding fights.
Great stuff.
Tried Rome2 and Attila Total War on the rig with new components. Still looks and plays like crap. Not to mention the men seem to run around at the speed of horses and the formations and general movement mechanics just look wierd. So I officially give up on total war again for the foreseeable future. I think I just hate the total war engine used currently in general. To me you may as well be playing scourge of war waterloo. Things don't draw until you are right on top of them and I definitely have the horsepower and played with the graphics settings. I even tried the 1212 mod for Attila, the game looks great zoomed in and static, but that's about it.
I will play some Steel Division 2 no doubt and am hoping to get some Star Citizen into the bag. Although after the xeno threat finished I am a little less keen on star citizen until the march 3.13 patch comes out.
Perhaps I will roll out some il2 Tank Crew as well.
Been slowly acquiring bits to put on the home computer, so now with more RAM and a new GPU installed, I put The Division 2 back into rotation (could make it work before, but it just wasn't "good," if you know what I mean), so now it's time to rack up a stupid huge body count in D.C. and later back to NYC! Wheee!
See you in the field, agents!
Quote from: Destraex on February 19, 2021, 08:02:36 AM
Tried Rome2 and Attila Total War on the rig with new components. Still looks and plays like crap. Not to mention the men seem to run around at the speed of horses and the formations and general movement mechanics just look wierd. So I officially give up on total war again for the foreseeable future. I think I just hate the total war engine used currently in general. To me you may as well be playing scourge of war waterloo. Things don't draw until you are right on top of them and I definitely have the horsepower and played with the graphics settings. I even tried the 1212 mod for Attila, the game looks great zoomed in and static, but that's about it.
I will play some Steel Division 2 no doubt and am hoping to get some Star Citizen into the bag. Although after the xeno threat finished I am a little less keen on star citizen until the march 3.13 patch comes out.
Perhaps I will roll out some il2 Tank Crew as well.
I'm getting a sort of upgraded machine soon for my son...maybe I'll borrow some time on it and see how Rome2: Total War runs on that.
PLUS! The usual: War on the Sea, HLL and boardgames.
Nanny called out today and wife is on ANOTHER 24-hour shift tomorrow. That means no weekend for me. Maybe some late night gaming once kids are asleep, but by then I'm so frustrated and exhausted that I'll probably end up just watching youtube videos.
Everybody else - enjoy.
Good luck JH.
Played through early access King Arthur Knight's Tale this week and tried to get into Northgard. I like Northgard well enough, but I think city builder style games just stress me out more than anything. It's me, not the genre.
I'm also in the middle of an Age of Empires II - Definitive Edition viking game, beating down the Celts and the Britons, so Al's track choice above is apt :)
Also hope to play some Field of Glory II - Medieval this weekend and finally begin my Thrones of Britannia campaign as a Welsh faction.
There are sooo many games I want to get to but recently I've been way into Skyrim again. I'm trying to play through all of the amazing dungeon mods that add so much to the game.
I was going to also try to delve into the Combat Mission WWII series for the first time ever.
And continue my Planetfall campaign.
But then I watched Nookrium play Xenonauts II and I so I loaded up Xenonauts up to play as well - Argh! so much to do and so little Weekend!!! ;)
^ What he said! If I tell you I am going to play anything this weekend, the roof will fall-in or something and I won't get to play at all. So I'm not going to claim I'll play anything. That way if I slip, quietly...over to the game... Oh, Wait, shit I hear the roof creaking. :pullhair: Have a great weekend Grogs.
What dungeon mods for Skyrim are you playing, Slagdog?
I've been digging into WitP:AE again after being repeatedly frustrated by other WW2 carrier games.
I'll probably boot up Cold Waters at some point as well.
I'm gonna play me some War on the Sea, Field of Glory: Empire PBEM, and Heroes & Generals.
I've also had an itch to play an oldie but goodie (at least to me anyway) called Star Wars: Rebellion (Supremacy in the U.K.)
Quote from: W8taminute on February 19, 2021, 03:52:48 PM
I've also had an itch to play an oldie but goodie (at least to me anyway) called Star Wars: Rebellion (Supremacy in the U.K.)
Fantastic game. Always on my hard drive. One of the first games I played multiplayer. I remember I used to play it with this dork in college named Kevin. He lived down the hall and I was his RA. I would always be the Empire and he would gladly play the rebellion. He would most usually start kicking my ass and I'd suddenly start having "computer trouble". God damn, I'd get so mad!
Yes I need to know what mods SlagDog is using. His post also jarred my memory - I've installed Enderal: Forgotten Stories, the uber-mod for Skyrim and will be firing that up soon-ish as well.
Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday digging up the two waterlines to my outdoor faucets. Victim of the Texas chill. Maybe get to catch up on PBEMs on Sunday
In between Dominions 5 rounds, will be cracking open the new Imperator Rome update and DLC. The improvements to the UI look great, and the updates have gotten some positive feedback, and sound like they'll be adding some fun to the game.
Quote from: nelmsm on February 19, 2021, 08:21:32 PM
Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday digging up the two waterlines to my outdoor faucets. Victim of the Texas chill. Maybe get to catch up on PBEMs on Sunday
As a plumbing contractor here in NC, my mouth has been agape at all the plumbing destruction photos I've seen coming out of Texas. Absolutely unreal what you all have had to deal with over there! (PS, if you're replacing the lines, go PEX-A!)
Well I'm just hoping to find and patch until the real plumber can fix it right
Quote from: SlagDog on February 19, 2021, 11:02:22 AM
I was going to also try to delve into the Combat Mission WWII series for the first time ever.
Excellent!
YES! Impressions Slapdog, please. Everybody's got some good CM War Stories to tell. :bd:
Where the hell did SlagDog go? We need answers dammit.
Myrmidon -- How about a short (or long) review of the Imperator Rome update and DLC when you have a chance.
I'm somewhat interested in the title and I value the opinions of the posters here more than those of Steam reviewers.
If he's dipping his toes into the CM WW2 series for the first time, we might not see him til next week's thread. :hide:
I have also become interested in Imperator lately - it's been on sale @ Fanatics and Green Man this week.
I started up a playthrough of Mafia II for the first time with a few mods -- namely the restored radio mod, better gun sounds, and historically accurate billboard ads and car names. Never did play this when it came out but it's very strong GTA style game with a nicely classic Goodfellas/Godfather style story and characters. Looking forward to seeing the timeshift between 1940s and 1950s and how it affects the world, music, cars, etc.
LOL, Well I literally played Skyrim ALL weekend. I've been working through the Forgotten Dungeons mod and Falksaar. Falksaar is well put together but I find the story so far not as engaging as some of the great story writing in the main game, like the town stories Morthal and Windhelm being some of my favorites. But that world map in Falksaar makes my eyes bleed. With all of the effort and time that went into making such great content why use such a hidious world map?!? The Forgotten Dungeons that I have played so far have been a mixed bag. I'm into the gigantic Dwermer dungeons that take hours to play through. And it's a bonus if you throw in the nasty Falmer/charaus into the mix - nasty buggers.
This playthrough I decided to be a Loyalist to Ulfric and kill any imperial troops on the roads between cities. LOL That didn't last long. Even though I was able to destroy the Imperials I soon learned that trying to enter any town got me KOS from any town guards Imperial or Stormcloaks alike. So I reloaded a previous save and played less aggressively towards the Imperials just so that I would not have every town empty of guards lol. It takes me forever to play through an area because I pick every flower and look in every burial jar. I love enchanting, alchemy and raising my skill at the forge the old fashion way so it takes a while for me to complete any one area. I also just do enough of the main quest to kick off the dragons so that they provide me with Dragonbone for armor later in the game.
During breaks I would think "Yeah I gotta buy Combat Mission." Then hours later after playing Skyrim, think "Yeah I gotta buy Combat Mission", etcetera, etcetera. I was definitely binging on Skyrim this weekend. And it was a blast! No regrets! With all of the environmental and mesh mods that have kept the games graphics up to date, the game is just so beautiful and still very fun to play. But like all binging who knows how long it will last.
My next foray will be checking out Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, although I haven't found all of the Forgotten Dungeons yet so I'll not start that until I have finished the Forgotten Dungeons.
^Thanks 'Dog. Have you checked out Enderal? This will be my next RPG dive:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/
Quote from: nelmsm on February 19, 2021, 09:38:40 PM
Well I'm just hoping to find and patch until the real plumber can fix it right
Water back up and running today. Discovered it was under the utility room where someone who had lived here prior had apparently took a weekend and a case of beer and plumbed it out. Was a weak joint that probably froze a bit and broke apart. Plumber had us back in water in about an hour and it only cost me $132. Was extremely happy with getting the water back and the price he charged.
Good for you. It's not often you get a break with plumbers. :clap:
Dude, you dodged a bullet there. Congrats!
Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2021, 11:55:25 AM
^Thanks 'Dog. Have you checked out Enderal? This will be my next RPG dive:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/
30 to 125 hours of game play - HOLY! That looks really cool! Added to the list. I'm wondering if I can buy the soundtrack but run the SSE version of the game. I'll have to look into that. I don't see why not as the sound track is not connected to the new graphics engine that SSE runs on. But who knows.
I got on last night and lost about 4 hours of gameplay to a corrupted save. The save list wanted to take me back to when I was level 4 (I was currently at level 32). The nice thing about Skyrim is that if I've been through the content I'm not to sad to lose levels as I don't mind rolling up a new character and playing through content I haven't played through yet.
Thinking about it I could run TWO copies of Skyrim and play Enderal AND my current playthrough. LOL its a mental illness for sure ;D
^I just posted a dedicated thread to Enderal: Forgotten Stories. Just for you! Don't tell anyone. Enderal is standalone now, btw.
We are all mental here.