GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2021, 07:43:32 AM

Title: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2021, 07:43:32 AM
This released today. I know the game was mentioned previously, but I don't think it has its own thread. Bought for $13.49 to support the developers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1540360/Carrier_Battles_WW2_Admiral_of_the_Fleet/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1540360/Carrier_Battles_WW2_Admiral_of_the_Fleet/)
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 15, 2021, 08:36:55 AM
It does look very promising. Bought it as well. Didn't have much time with it yet, but what I have seen looks good.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Geezer on March 15, 2021, 09:59:44 AM
Wish I had more time than games as it does look good.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: The_Admiral on March 15, 2021, 10:43:06 AM
Played it just today for research purpose too. Nice concept!
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Tripoli on March 15, 2021, 11:14:24 AM
 I just bought it, also.  It looks a bit like the old "Carrier Strike" from SSI that was designed by Grigsby
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Sir Slash on March 15, 2021, 11:29:48 AM
Waiting for a Thumbs-Up or Thumbs-Down here. What in the way of Zoom-up or zoom-down levels does it have?
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Tripoli on March 15, 2021, 11:35:13 AM
I'll play around with it a bit and write up a post.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Sir Slash on March 15, 2021, 11:37:24 AM
 :D
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: bobarossa on March 15, 2021, 01:50:29 PM
Anyone have the developer's previous game Theater Commander?  Looks sort of like CMANO for land warfare.  Map is horribly ugly but probably functional.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2021, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on March 15, 2021, 01:50:29 PM
Anyone have the developer's previous game Theater Commander?  Looks sort of like CMANO for land warfare.  Map is horribly ugly but probably functional.

Theater Commander is the one thing that made hesitate with respect to this game.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: steve58 on March 15, 2021, 02:28:42 PM
Found some gameplay footage on Yahoo.  The audio is not so great, but at lease you can see the game play.

Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 15, 2021, 03:12:44 PM
Oof, that looks rough.  I love me some WWII Carrier action  but I think I'll give this one a miss.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Weiveismart on March 16, 2021, 12:56:16 AM
Good, I think I will buy a support developer
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: bobarossa on March 16, 2021, 06:57:41 AM
Quote from: Weiveismart on March 16, 2021, 12:56:16 AM
Good, I think I will buy a support developer
Smells like spam!
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2021, 10:05:49 AM
Tastes like it too. Fried up hot and fresh by JH.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Sir Slash on March 16, 2021, 10:52:52 AM
"Not in Our House"!  :cowboy:
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Blond_Knight on March 16, 2021, 01:24:12 PM
To me it looks very similar to JTS Midway.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Tripoli on March 17, 2021, 04:58:05 PM
I've spent about 3 hours with the game thus far.  The game style reminds me of "the 1992 game "Carrier Strike", which was a fun title.  Full Disclosure: I'm associated at a variety of levels with several projects that could be considered competitors to this design.  Therefore, I'm going to accentuate the positive on this game in my comments below:

Positives:
1) the Price.  $14.00 for a game isn't bad, and you are helping a small independent developer if you buy it.
2) The subject matter-there aren't too many games on carrier warfare in 1942 to pick from
3) Speed.  The game is simple, and good for a quick play through when you have limited game playing time. I haven't finished any game, but you can generally do a 12 hour turn every 30 minutes or so
4) It does have submarines.  I never got into an ASW action or sub attack, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the ASW model.  Neither can I comment on the accuracy of the ground combat or surface warfare model.
5) It does feature deck handling of aircraft, which is a major factor in WWII carrier warfare, and frequently not addressed in the few games on the subject.
6) The game has sliders that allow the player to improve/degrade radar/aircraft and bombing performance.

Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: bobarossa on March 17, 2021, 05:40:14 PM
How does it incorporate deck handling if turns are 12 hours long?  That`s only two turns a day.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Toonces on March 17, 2021, 06:01:58 PM
I took it to mean that you could play 12 hours of game time in 30 minutes of real time, not that "turns" are in 12-hour increments.

From the videos on Steam it looks like continuous real time, certainly with time acceleration.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Tripoli on March 17, 2021, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on March 17, 2021, 05:40:14 PM
How does it incorporate deck handling if turns are 12 hours long?  That`s only two turns a day.

It is a continuous clock, so no turns per se.  Playing a Coral Sea scenario, I was able to order/conduct flight ops for TF 17, LBA search ops out of Noumea, and CAP out of Port Morsby for 12 hours of game time, in 30 minutes of play time.  That was at a generally comfortable 2:1 time compression, with occasional bursts of faster compression between air ops cycles.  I don't believe the game allows you automate the flight ops, so, I think that is a comfortable time compression for the individual attention you need to give your units.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: Sir Slash on March 17, 2021, 11:11:41 PM
Thanks Trip. Still on the fence but I hope they do well with this one.
Title: Re: Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet
Post by: SirAndrewD on March 21, 2021, 09:22:25 PM
Quote from: Weiveismart on March 16, 2021, 12:56:16 AM
Good, I think I will buy a support developer

I think there's an Amendment that makes that illegal.