GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on March 16, 2021, 03:43:32 PM

Title: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: steve58 on March 16, 2021, 03:43:32 PM
Saw these mentioned over on Blues News.

WW2: Bunker Simulator (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1155870/WW2_Bunker_Simulator/)  ...and has a demo.
Quote
You are an American soldier. One of the distinguished 101st Airborne Division. Soldiers of 101st fought hard and died but they followed orders. They made things that others couldn't. Do you want to be remembered? You'll have to earn it. Your companions have captured the German bunker during the Battle of Normandy, and your task is to defend it at all costs. Defend your bunker! It won't be easy though.


WW2 Rebuilder (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1573280/WW2_Rebuilder/)

More like a city re-builder...centers on the reconstruction of war-torn cities in Europe in the aftermath of World War II.
Title: Re: A couple of WW2-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Sir Slash on March 16, 2021, 10:06:26 PM
Very inventive, both of them.  :clap:
Title: Re: A couple of WW2-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Phantom on March 17, 2021, 02:18:28 PM
Saw these mentioned over on Blues News.

WW2: Bunker Simulator  ...and has a demo.


... not so much Pavlov's House as Archie Bunkers, well, bunker  :)
Title: Re: A couple of WW2-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Gusington on March 17, 2021, 02:41:37 PM
WW2 Rebuilder...what a great idea.
Title: Re: A couple of WW2-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 17, 2021, 03:12:49 PM
Certainly different for sure.
Title: Re: A couple of WW2-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: FarAway Sooner on March 21, 2021, 03:22:38 PM
I enjoy it when game designers try novel things.  The WW 2 Rebuilder game in particular looks quite interesting to me.
Title: Re: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: steve58 on March 27, 2021, 04:18:49 PM
Here is another, War Hospital (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1553000/War_Hospital/), but this one is based in WWI, hence the thread title change.  Definitely, not my cup-o-tea.

Quote
When the bullet hits the target, another fight starts.
A fight for life.
A fight for the soul.

The year is 1917. You are major Henry Wells, a retired British combat medic, drafted back and thrown into the nightmare of World War I. Understaffed and undersupplied, you are the last bastion of hope for countless soldiers at the French Front.

Treat horrible war injuries as the commander of a field hospital. Build a facility to heal them while the artillery shells explode ear-splittingly close.  Use real WW1 equipment and see how your tools and methods evolve. Your choices will make a lasting impact.

Build a micro-community of life-savers and survivors. Kindle hope in your staff and soldiers. Bring a speck of normalcy by inspiring periods of ceasefire. Play a war-themed game that celebrates life, not death.


  • A war-themed game focused on saving lives, not taking them
  • Society survival that challenges tactics as well as morals
  • Faithfully recreated setting of the French Front in WW1
  • Realistically depicted conditions of a British field hospital
  • Develop and put to use innovative WW1 medical technology
Title: Re: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Gusington on March 27, 2021, 04:38:41 PM
^That sounds great. Wishlisted.
Title: Re: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Philistine on March 27, 2021, 05:28:08 PM
War Hospital sounds like it could be an amazing game--but given the description, I'm not really sure I could comfortably play it.

It actually made me take a moment of self-reflection to wonder why I can be perfectly happy playing a game inflicting horrific injures (at levels of abstraction from numbers on a NATO counter down to copious blood and limbs flying off) but I'm not comfortable playing a game dealing with those consequences--especially if its at all graphic.  It's not a squeamishness issue--though I've never played it, I wouldn't have a problem playing something like Surgeon Simulator.

Even this screenshot is disquieting:
(https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/1553000/ss_09b85bc1b342c828a6efd3cc506eaa5889569cc2.1920x1080.jpg?t=1616789003)

It reminds me of MASH (which I love) without the humor.  Important, well done, but ultimately depressing and not something I'd want to do.

I'm a little uncomfortable with what that says about me...

--Philistine

Title: Re: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: FarAway Sooner on March 27, 2021, 08:16:34 PM
I hear you.  I play games to escape.  I'm not sure that is the first kind of place I'd want to escape to.  But it's a very innovative way to make a game work. 

Other games went dark and nailed the atmosphere piece--Frostpunk comes to mind as one of the best examples!
Title: Re: A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold
Post by: Gusington on March 28, 2021, 11:32:57 AM
While graphic, it does look amazingly polished. And I've always had an interest in medicine/surgery, etc., even if I may not be able to stomach it.