GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 10:36:31 AM

Title: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 10:36:31 AM
Apparently there is a trial about to start that uses cord blood to possibly treat, and hopefully cure, autism.

QuoteRydr received his first infusion at 2 years old. This was a child who couldn't walk, talk or eat on his own – but he started to crawl immediately.

After the second infusion, he began walking and talking – even jumping and running.

"I can verify he definitely got better," Chez said. "All without extensive therapy."

Now, Chez wants to put Rydr's experience to work for children with autism.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/21/doctors-announce-fda-approved-trial-to-cure-autism-with-cord-blood
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: Centurion40 on August 21, 2012, 01:27:33 PM
Fingers crossed.
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: besilarius on August 21, 2012, 05:52:36 PM
Wonder what is in the cord blood, that had such a rapid response?
I'm sure they have thoroughly checked his blood, and any deficiencies would have been addressed.
If it's stem cells, my understanding is that would not be as immediate as the article indicates.
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: Staggerwing on August 21, 2012, 06:22:17 PM
This is a very interesting idea. I suspect that it will be most useful (assuming it pans out) in younger children whose brains are still developing. That would also fit in with much of the conventional assumptions about when other Autism treatments have the greatest results. One can do naught but hope.  :)
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 21, 2012, 08:07:32 PM
It will be interesting to see how the kid develops as he grows up, but it is encouraging news nonetheless.
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 11:14:41 PM
It begs all kinds of questions - do they need sustained infusions? Is it a one-shot cure? How much does it cure?

Hope springs eternal and it is good news. But we have more questions than answers. Hopefully this will be a significant development.

My wife and I had the option to freeze our children's cords when they were born and we opted not to - perhaps a prayer that we wouldn't need them for their sakes'. Makes me wish we had - for others'.
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: Windigo on August 22, 2012, 03:03:29 PM
Those in the know are aware that this is very VERY close to home. I will pray that this is at least a good treatment. I dare not hope for a cure ... dashed hopes are all to frequent for parents of autistic children.
Title: Re: Possible Autism Treatment?
Post by: Staggerwing on August 22, 2012, 06:41:42 PM
Quote from: Windigo on August 22, 2012, 03:03:29 PM
Those in the know are aware that this is very VERY close to home. I will pray that this is at least a good treatment. I dare not hope for a cure ... dashed hopes are all to frequent for parents of autistic children.


:( So true...