GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: al_infierno on November 12, 2021, 04:53:06 PM

Title: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: al_infierno on November 12, 2021, 04:53:06 PM
Anyone pick this up after today's release?  The launch has been a huge disaster.  Apparently the whole source code was leaked through the Rockstar launcher, so they removed it from the store on PC.  Currently all PC users who preordered are boned.  Anyone interested in the game be warned.

Overall, the remaster looks pretty uneven.  The environments and lighting look pretty good, but the character models are janky, and there's an astonishing number of typos and mistakes in the upscaled textures.  Apparently they used some AI-based automatic texture upscaling tech, and failed to perform a basic spellcheck before slapping them out for release.  Some people who are playing the games say the GTA III remaster is fairly good, but Vice City and San Andreas seem rushed.

Maybe worthwhile on a discount, but $60 seems pretty steep.

(https://i.redd.it/283iwt4yy4z71.jpg)

(https://i.redd.it/kmb9nrlcc7z71.png)

(https://i.redd.it/r3u0q3gxfyy71.jpg)

This youtuber does a pretty good breakdown of the details of this disastrous launch:

Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: W8taminute on November 12, 2021, 04:56:33 PM
Haha!  They misspelled wankbooths in the remaster. 
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 05:39:27 PM
I've never played any GTA. Let the virtual flogging commence.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 12, 2021, 06:30:34 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 05:39:27 PM
I've never played any GTA. Let the virtual flogging commence.

Well...now's the time isn't it?

I mean, no lie they're excellent games.  Strong story, great gameplay...really, really fantastic.

I prefer Red Dead and RDR 2 is high on my list of greatest games ever made.  But the preceding games are great too.

Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 06:37:53 PM
I have not played any GTA, Red Dead, or Mass Effect...how do I choose?
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: al_infierno on November 12, 2021, 07:02:37 PM
Basically, if you like the idea of playing around in a modern day city set in a Mafia movie like Goodfellas or The Godfather -- play one of the GTA games.  GTA V is probably the most accessible and optimized GTA game on PC, but unfortunately has the least "mafia movie" vibe of the whole series.  GTA IV has a nice atmosphere in its New York City style setting, but the PC port is hot trash and it might not run well.

If you want to play around in a wild west world set in a Sergio Leone film like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, play Red Dead 2.  Honestly, I think it's a better game than the GTA series because it has much meatier gunplay and a more interesting and interactive open world.  It's a fantastic game and has been around long enough that it's fairly well optimized for most PCs, though occasionally the devs introduce new bugs into singleplayer when they add updates to multiplayer (anyone remember the glitch where your camp mates constantly say "Aren't you cold?" even in 85+ degree heat?).

Mass Effect is a super different style of game, it's much more of a narratively focused Bioware style RPG like KOTOR.  There's a bit of hub exploration and nooks and crannies to find, but no real open world like Rockstar games.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 07:07:40 PM
The comparisons warrant a separate thread entirely, I suppose...
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: al_infierno on November 12, 2021, 08:22:34 PM
These may be the best images yet   :2funny:

(https://i.imgur.com/XbKRPwG.jpeg)

(https://i.imgur.com/NmJF97f.jpeg)

Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Rayfer on November 13, 2021, 07:54:51 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 05:39:27 PM
I've never played any GTA. Let the virtual flogging commence.

Same here Gus...and I probably never will.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 13, 2021, 08:06:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 06:37:53 PM
I have not played any GTA, Red Dead, or Mass Effect...how do I choose?

You should immediately buy the ME trilogy and play them all through. They are excellent.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Gusington on November 13, 2021, 09:33:44 AM
ME trilogy is definitely on my list. I play most games so slowly it would probably take me 1000 hours to finish all three ME games.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: al_infierno on November 13, 2021, 03:39:52 PM
GTA remasters are still unavailable a full day after release, and people who bought it still can't play it.  People thought the Cyberpunk launch was rough, but this launch is an unprecedented disaster.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: jamus34 on November 13, 2021, 04:55:00 PM
I mean you should probably experience all three series.

My personal order would be
ME 1st
RDR 2nd
GTA 3rd

In all honesty I do not think the GTA trilogy ages well. You're better off playing V which is a much superior game, especially on PC.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: al_infierno on November 13, 2021, 04:58:17 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on November 13, 2021, 04:55:00 PM
I mean you should probably experience all three series.

My personal order would be
ME 1st
RDR 2nd
GTA 3rd

In all honesty I do not think the GTA trilogy ages well. You're better off playing V which is a much superior game, especially on PC.

+1, I was just playing the original GTA San Andreas with mods (because I bought it long before they removed it from the Steam store) and it's just not a very good game by today's standards.  It's clunky, poorly paced, and the mission/respawn system is just awful.  V is a lot better but I found the story to be rather lacking in comparison to the older titles.

And yeah, nothing beats a first playthrough of the ME series!  Rockstar games only have them beat in terms of open-world "create your own fun" type gameplay.
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Gusington on November 13, 2021, 09:25:42 PM
Noted, thanks guys
Title: Re: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy remaster
Post by: Rayfer on November 14, 2021, 07:35:59 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 13, 2021, 08:06:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2021, 06:37:53 PM
I have not played any GTA, Red Dead, or Mass Effect...how do I choose?

You should immediately buy the ME trilogy and play them all through. They are excellent.

I went into my Steam library and saw I had purchased ME1 a long time ago in one of the sales but never got into it at all. Downloaded it yesterday and started up a game...quite a lot of fun, immersive and with an engaging story, characters and setting. It even has an easy setting for old 1st/3rd party challenged gamers like me. Thanks for the tip.