GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

Title: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM
whats in your go bag?
whats really needed?

I ask because Im reforming mine and what it once was might not be what it is now.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Steelgrave on August 23, 2012, 09:54:28 PM
I want Jarhead in mine. I'll be ready for anything then  8)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 23, 2012, 11:11:41 PM
Knife, toilet paper, a small book on predicting the weather by clouds, a small frisbee. Flashlight and batteries. A light leash for a dog (which reminds me, we have three now...I should add two). Not sure what else without looking.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Jack Nastyface on August 23, 2012, 11:36:56 PM
You talkin' emergency bail-out bag (just basic essentials) or emergency box?
Bail out bag:
Good survival knife; flashlight; small am/fm radio; small first aid kid including extra usual and ad-hoc meds you need or want; baby wipes; antiseptic handcleaner stuff; assortment of ziploc bags; one of those emergency reflective blanket things; a couple of large garbage bags; para-cord or similar; personal hygiene stuff(nail-clippers, tampons/pads, lip-balm; toothbrush / paste; floss; anti-perspirant, etc); batteries; a bunch of whatever you might want to eat for the next 36 - 72 hours (granola bars; peanut butter, etc); water...as much fresh water as you can stash OR a portable water-purfier (kind you use when backwoods camping); some gatorade or other ORS powder; elastic bands; string; zap-straps; money; very small toolset (multidriver, pliers, vise-grip) or leatherman; bug-spray if you think you need it; lighter or storm matches; a foldable poncho/rainshell; pen and paper; utensils; duct tape; some bio-degradeable dish and clothing detergent; good gloves.
If you think you might need it:  campstove and fuel; camping pots; MRE's for 4-5 days; good boots/shoes; a tube tent; a folding sven-or-camp saw; ultra-light travel hammock.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 05:56:56 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

+1.....  :o
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 06:03:04 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 05:56:56 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

+1.....  :o

In case of Natural disaster, Civil Unrest/War, Black Helicopters, Zombies... though not in any particular order.  ;)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 24, 2012, 06:05:11 AM
Got two bags in the front closet. 
One is a prepacked thing from the store (http://www.lifegear.com/survival-kits/wings-of-life-backpack.html) with the first aid stuff, water packets, etc. (got it a lot cheaper from Costco than from the company)
The other is one I packed with another first aid kit, some dust masks, chemlights, rubber gloves, crank radio, heavy-duty work gloves, ponchos, a few tools (like a heavy-duty hammer), a pair of pocketknives, water bottle w/ built in filter, tarp, some rope and carabiners, and some other stuff I'd need to look at.

In my car, I keep a water bottle w/ built in filter, a couple of MREs, chemlights, ponchos, work gloves, tarp, towel, first aid kit (I might have 2, gotta check), some granola bars, utensils, and other odds and ends.  The idea behind the load in the car is that what happened to the Kim family (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/kati-kim-tells-heart-wrenching-story-family-ended/story?id=12884927) will never happen to mine - mostly because I wouldn't make the same dumb mistakes he did, but also because I'll have the right gear on hand to survive.


as to "why" - I live in an area where storms can be a problem.  Fran took out most of the city in '96, and the "white hurricane" (blizzard) dumped 26" of snow on the town in about 18 hours in '00.  I've also lived in places where tornados and earthquakes were regular occurrences (different places...  I don't think anywhere gets both right now). 
I also had a lot of my family stuck in southern Louisiana when Katrina hit.  When something happens, and you've made the decision to go (in/voluntarily doesn't matter) you may not have time to pack much of anything, so you grab one bag and stuff it with a bunch of clean clothes, your toolbox, your emergency bags, and get in the car.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 07:56:08 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 24, 2012, 06:05:11 AM

as to "why" - I live in an area where storms can be a problem.  Fran took out most of the city in '96, and the "white hurricane" (blizzard) dumped 26" of snow on the town in about 18 hours in '00.  I've also lived in places where tornados and earthquakes were regular occurrences (different places...  I don't think anywhere gets both right now). 
I also had a lot of my family stuck in southern Louisiana when Katrina hit.  When something happens, and you've made the decision to go (in/voluntarily doesn't matter) you may not have time to pack much of anything, so you grab one bag and stuff it with a bunch of clean clothes, your toolbox, your emergency bags, and get in the car.

+1

A "man-caused disaster" requiring a go bag is such a distant possibility that I don't spend a thought on it. All it takes is adding a gun and ammo and you've finished preparing for it if you're really worried. I'm not.

But everywhere I've lived I've had some kind of natural disaster that was a potential threat. Tornadoes, earthquake, hurricane...they aren't likely but they can happen. Not having a small go bag in case you need to bug out is short sighted.

You can tell by mine that I'm not totally serious about it, but it is enough to make a good start. Between Jack Nasty and Brant those are two solid models. I tossed toilet paper in because, well, when you have a bunch of girls, it'll make life a bit easier. Frisbee is in there because you've got to plan for a bit of fun. It's cloth and doesn't take up much space.

Every house I've lived in has lost power due to some kind of natural event. We have a week's worth of water on hand and a generator with several days' worth fuel. Also a stocked cupboard full of food. It's not filled with any particular plan so it won't be gourmet food, but there will be plenty to eat if we're forced to start opening cans... A window AC unit because in the summer it's a godsend.

In my view it's far more likely that we won't need to go, but will rather need to stay, and in that regard we're much better prepared. I figure even if we had to go we'd have at least 30 minutes to an hour to toss meds, water, and clothes into the car if we need to enact that scenario. But I really think it's much more likely that we'll need to ride out a power outage that lasts a few days.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 24, 2012, 08:05:43 AM
Helium.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:16:14 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 24, 2012, 08:05:43 AM
Helium.

Ah, Barsoom. Never been there. Lotsa bad weather?


LB and Gus, what size generator and fuel source? I have a 2200 watt gasoline generator but it'd be hard pressed to run either the furnace (hot air heat) or any of the A/C units while having any juice left for fridge or lights or whatnot. I'm thinking of selling it and investing in a larger one.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
I've really got to redo my emergency bag.  I've haven't updated the basics since I got married and should really include stuff for the wife now.

I've got knife, flint and steel, waterproof matches, maps, generic first aid kit, water purifying tablets, para-cord, flashlight w/ extra batteries (I really need to add a hand crank radio), extra socks and poncho.   I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off and there is always plenty of dried and canned goods to grab on the way out.  I also have a small propane power camp stove to cook on.


Like the others said I do this mainly because of the threat of natural disasters.  Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 08:20:25 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
...I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off ...

Are you on well water?
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.

It's not really paranoia when the Red Cross says we all need to be ready: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 08:24:54 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.

It's not really paranoia when the Red Cross says we all need to be ready: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit

Nothing personel but the Red Cross is a bit of a joke up here...  :P When my Dad was in the Forces and we were living in BC, he got called out to help with forest fire fighting.... and there was the Red Cross with bottled water for the fire fighters..... for sale!  :P

Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:25:34 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 08:20:25 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
...I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off ...

Are you on well water?

Yeah, so when the power is off I am up a creek, well with out any water. :)


I am also in the habit of when a bad storm is rolling through to fill the bathtub and any lose bottles and containers with water so that if the power goes off I have some water for manually flushing the toilet and basic bathing.  Also I can boil the water on the camp stove for cooking.  If used conservatively a bathtub full of water can last quite a while.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:29:27 AM
^sadly, most bathtubs won't hold water indefinitely if they are older. You need some kind of good seal or waterproof sticky patch to cover the drain.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:29:27 AM
^sadly, most bathtubs won't hold water indefinitely if they are older. You need some kind of good seal or waterproof sticky patch to cover the drain.

The place I am currently renting must have a good seal because it held water for 4 days when Irene came through last year.  Thankfully I've never had to keep it any longer.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: MIGMaster on August 24, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
Mine's more of a bug-out bag! I have laptop, Kindle, Playbook, 2 portable USB HDDs with all the family pics and important files (which includes images of every room in the house for insurance purposes). 40GB of flashdrives, all of my passwords, Remington's small K-bar style knife... It's all in a Cabela's digital camo handgun bag bag with MOLLE straps. It's small enough to carry around and keep stuff stored in when you're not using it.

It's great if my Mother-in-law comes... I can grab the bag and set-up shop anywhere !  ;)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on August 24, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
Mine's more of a bug-out bag! I have laptop, Kindle, Playbook, 2 portable USB HDDs with all the family pics and important files (which includes images of every room in the house for insurance purposes). 40GB of flashdrives, all of my passwords, Remington's small K-bar style knife... It's all in a Cabela's digital camo handgun bag bag with MOLLE straps. It's small enough to carry around and keep stuff stored in when you're not using it.

It's great if my Mother-in-law comes... I can grab the bag and set-up shop anywhere !  ;)

That's what I call my electronics bag. Swiss Army backpack designed for a 17" laptop. Has all my cords and cables, a few books, some small board/card games just in case I run into a random stranger who games. That's my goto bag when I travel.

As I noted above, it's far more likely that I'll need to stay in rather than bug out. Never hurts to be prepared for both, but the reality is that I've been snowed in more often than I've been overrun by zombies.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Jack Nastyface on August 24, 2012, 12:46:11 PM
Good idea about the digital pics of the rooms, etc!
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 03:46:12 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on August 24, 2012, 12:46:11 PM
Good idea about the digital pics of the rooms, etc!

+1
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: MIGMaster on August 24, 2012, 04:35:54 PM
I get OCD about that stuff. I get OCD about that stuff. I get OCD about that stuff.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 24, 2012, 07:18:05 PM
I've got CDO. It's like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order like they're supposed to be.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 24, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
good ideas so far.
I cant wait for JH's post on the matter.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 09:27:45 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 24, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
good ideas so far.
I cant wait for JH's post on the matter.

Jarhead's Go Bag is an AAV.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 09:37:03 PM
With Air Cover...
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 09:47:19 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 24, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
good ideas so far.
I cant wait for JH's post on the matter.

If you're still soliciting suggestions - at the risk of repeating myself - don't overlook the fun factor.

Eventually you will reach a point of security and will need some downtime. I know, I know, this is when the zombies usually get the hot cheerleader and the football captain, but let's pretend for a moment that we're a bit closer to reality.

Bring a fifth (or two) of something you like. Knowing you as I do, Star, you should have a couple of boxes of condoms. Keep 'em fresh and rotate your stock, because I expect the zombie apocalypse to just follow the invasion from Mars in terms of chronology.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:18:36 AM
Im really asking this from a serious position.
so far in its reformation Ive got:
bottle of tylenol
bottle of advil
bottle of hydrogin peroxide
first aid kit
extra tubes of neosporin and polysporin
ace bandages
2 pair of soxs
3 pack of underware
2 pair of cargo pants
4 jersey tee shirts
thermal blanket
important paperwork:  SS card, birth certificate, needed bank records ect
magnesium fire kit
combat knife
compass
maps of Florida
2 small and 1 large Mag-lite
waterproof watch
pistol + 200 rounds  half HP half range rounds
3 magazines loaded with HP
iodine tablets
4 bars of soap
5 pack of razors
every tool I might need, barring having to builld a house, is in the lockbox in my pickup.
keep a full tank and refill when you hit half.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: MikeGER on August 25, 2012, 03:42:44 AM
Starfury
you forgot the condoms on your list ;D  ;)

i 'live' in my go-bag  ...in opposite to many wooden US housings its build of brick, concrete and iron and has a full cellar. its 300m above sealevel, not on a hilltop (gusts) and not in a valley (flooding)...   
i also have a 600l fuel-oil tank for some old heatings, which i could use in the Landcruiser (would be a tax-felony but who cares in emergency) lots of bottled water, beer and wine naturally stored too...

when its get too 'medieval' or even 'stone age' i can still pack and hike in the night to the nearby Schloss Burg (i posted a aerial shot somewhere in Zombi-fun threads), its the best place for that kind of 'back to the past' hard times...   there is a river, creeks, springs, caves, woods...  and i know the the lay of the land ... the rest is trying to remembering all those Bear Grylls episodes  ;) (the parts that are not faked ::))

what i really would need to stock up is a Generator, but one which runs on 'everything that burns' 
....for a day or two power outage, which would be the most likely situation in my neck of the woods   
in addition to blocked roads by snow or a Kyrill-like winter-storm   

btw.  i have water, a blanket, some tarp, a saw wire, a short spade and a magnesium firestarter kit in the truck   
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: undercovergeek on August 25, 2012, 04:19:58 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.

Yeah, my fault.... Coming from an island where the most dangerous weather related incident is going to be getting poked in the eye by an umberella its easy to forget what you guys have to go through.

My first thought was that you were expecting some apocalyptic zombie scenario or red dawn! 
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bob48 on August 25, 2012, 07:10:11 AM
+1 I was worried that they knew something that we did'nt and were about to head for one of the Grog bunkers without telling us :-))
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 25, 2012, 07:14:12 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:18:36 AMwaterproof watch
you might want to pack more than one.  just saying :)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 25, 2012, 11:30:44 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.

Tru dat.

Star, to save you some time on the first aid kit, just blow $20 or $30 on a commercial one. It has pretty much everything you need (maybe not enough of it, but a good start).

I would add to your go kit at least two five gallon cans of gas. Chances are you will be responsible enough to leave before the masses do, but having seen the mess that Houston was in when everyone waited too long, I can foresee the possibility of getting clogged on the highway and running out of fuel at the same time as everyone else. In that scenario, the local gas stations will run out of gas quickly. Having an extra ten gallons to move past the masses could make the difference in getting the heck out of Dodge.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2012, 05:22:42 AM
there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.
Im pretty secure where Im at.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on August 26, 2012, 09:40:25 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2012, 05:22:42 AM
there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.
Im pretty secure where Im at.

Fair enough. That goes back to my "stay bag" rather than a go bag.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Toonces on August 27, 2012, 04:55:46 PM
I always have a pair of Viper surf fins in my car.  Nothing worse than having epic surf and no way to catch some waves.  Along with my Kindle, those are the two items I simply will not go anywhere without.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlanticbodyboards.com%2Fimages%2Fdetailed%2F0%2Fproduct_detailed_image_29796_41.jpg&hash=f2f5393f228158e54e05da785381ade9f65c86c5)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2012, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2012, 05:22:42 AM
there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.
Im pretty secure where Im at.

I agree with this.  I have a "go basement," which is probably one of the most heavily armed and well stocked locations on Long Island.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 27, 2012, 05:08:55 PM
reading a Kindle while surfing.....sounds like some sort of library fetishist's erotic fan fic.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 27, 2012, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2012, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2012, 05:22:42 AM
there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.
Im pretty secure where Im at.

I agree with this.  I have a "go basement," which is probably one of the most heavily armed and well stocked locations on Long Island.

As long as it isn't major flooding you should be fine :)

Seriously though, how big of a risk is the possibility major flooding on Long Island?
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 27, 2012, 11:22:48 PM
LOL  Ill let JH tell that story.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 20, 2013, 01:12:34 PM
http://everydaycarryblog.com/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on December 20, 2013, 01:17:23 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 20, 2013, 01:12:34 PM
http://everydaycarryblog.com/

Cool. I like the one with the pipe. Adds a bit of class (though I don't smoke).

Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 20, 2013, 01:45:44 PM
I've been revisiting the idea of my various go-bags / everyday carry / car bags in large part b/c I have some re-packing to do in the car now that I need to change sizes on the kids clothes in there, and I'm keeping more munchies in there for when my daughter and I are cruising around

I'll posts some lists / thoughts / photos later
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on December 20, 2013, 06:10:43 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 20, 2013, 01:45:44 PM
I've been revisiting the idea of my various go-bags / everyday carry / car bags in large part b/c I have some re-packing to do in the car now that I need to change sizes on the kids clothes in there, and I'm keeping more munchies in there for when my daughter and I are cruising around

I'll posts some lists / thoughts / photos later

We've had to adjust a bit with the change to a colder, less hospitable winter clime. There's now a heavy coat in the car for half a year, and I bought my wife a down comforter (thanks, Eddie Bauer) to keep in the back of her vehicle.

I've also taken to stomping around in my muck boots while there's snow on the ground.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 19, 2014, 03:56:09 PM
another thought on staying put

http://blog.allstate.com/safe-room-the-ultimate-secure-shelter-infographic/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 23, 2014, 12:33:48 PM
http://training.goruck.com/cadre-tips-cadre-devin-on-the-bug-out-bag-the-go-bag/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 23, 2014, 06:02:30 AM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Knowledge-Rebuild-World-Scratch/dp/159420523X/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 09:56:55 PM
these can be very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15707731
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2014, 05:27:17 AM
something of interest for your Go Bag

http://zombease.com/25-survival-uses-for-foil/

Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on September 03, 2014, 03:15:49 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2014, 05:27:17 AM
something of interest for your Go Bag

http://zombease.com/25-survival-uses-for-foil/

Been reading the headlines out of W Africa?
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on September 03, 2014, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 23, 2014, 06:02:30 AM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Knowledge-Rebuild-World-Scratch/dp/159420523X/

Seriously?
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on September 03, 2014, 05:40:32 PM
All you need is 5 amps to charge a kindle so a small home made solar panel is enough. Then you still can have entire libraries of technological knowhow at your disposal after all the paper books have burned for fuel. With few moving parts (especially for the e-ink kind) and barring accidents the Kindle could last for many years.

Assuming you were smart enough to have downloaded the files ahead of time, that is.  :))



(Here's a trickle charger panel that would be a nice addition to any large go-bag setup. Hook it up to a cigarette-lighter socket usb plug and away you go.... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-6-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Battery-Maintainer-58022/203241530?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-203241530-_-N)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on September 04, 2014, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 02, 2014, 09:56:55 PM
these can be very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15707731

Might also be useful:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM9OBQS

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009I3T3S/

http://smile.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on September 04, 2014, 10:23:49 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 03, 2014, 05:40:32 PM
All you need is 5 amps to charge a kindle so a small home made solar panel is enough. Then you still can have entire libraries of technological knowhow at your disposal after all the paper books have burned for fuel. With few moving parts (especially for the e-ink kind) and barring accidents the Kindle could last for many years.

Assuming you were smart enough to have downloaded the files ahead of time, that is.  :))



(Here's a trickle charger panel that would be a nice addition to any large go-bag setup. Hook it up to a cigarette-lighter socket usb plug and away you go.... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-6-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Battery-Maintainer-58022/203241530?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-203241530-_-N)

Good point.

That $40 solar charger is a v good idea.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 08, 2014, 03:38:29 PM
go win one

https://www.facebook.com/SurvivorTies550ParacordGear/photos/a.400799973291473.87399.355964837774987/765898676781599/?type=1
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 08, 2014, 06:36:03 PM
I want underware made out of paracord.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 08, 2014, 09:10:28 PM
borrow them from mirth
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 09, 2014, 12:09:55 AM
cant.

thats what I tied him up with.   ::)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 09, 2014, 05:33:41 AM
fair 'nuff.  you're on your own then
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 10, 2014, 03:52:28 PM
some detailed thoughts about what to carry

http://graywolfsurvival.com/66545/how-to-build-ultimate-25-pound-bug-bag/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on November 11, 2014, 12:40:08 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 10, 2014, 03:52:28 PM
some detailed thoughts about what to carry

http://graywolfsurvival.com/66545/how-to-build-ultimate-25-pound-bug-bag/

Did ya ever notice that these go bags are made for loners?

I have yet to see one packed for a family, or to share.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
I think there's the underlying assumption that anyone you take with you will have their own bags, so no expectation of sharing with the ones you're traveling with, and limiting willingness to share on the road.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on November 11, 2014, 12:55:56 PM
I'm not sure that's a good assumption.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 21, 2014, 02:32:36 PM
Variation on a theme - the "blessing bag" to keep in your car and hand out to the occasional homeless person
(found this on FaceBook)

Quote(https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1921983_10205090991292504_137389114947767512_n.jpg?oh=62e51312345d610d87c37ce80da3224c&oe=54E10734)

INGREDIENTS:
Gallon size Ziplock bags
chap stick
packages of tissues
toothbrush and toothpaste
comb
soap
hotel size shampoos
trail mix
granola bars
crackers
pack of gum
band aids
mouthwash
coins or predetermined dollar amount, say 5.00 (could be used to make a phone call, or purchase a food item)
hand wipes
you could also put in a warm pair of socks
a packet rain poncho
tampons (for women)
The ideas could be endless!
Assemble all the items in the bags, and maybe throw in a note of encouragement. Seal the bags and stow in your car for a moment of providence.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on November 21, 2014, 04:35:55 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 21, 2014, 02:32:36 PM
Variation on a theme - the "blessing bag" to keep in your car and hand out to the occasional homeless person
(found this on FaceBook)

Quote(https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1921983_10205090991292504_137389114947767512_n.jpg?oh=62e51312345d610d87c37ce80da3224c&oe=54E10734)

INGREDIENTS:
Gallon size Ziplock bags
chap stick
packages of tissues
toothbrush and toothpaste
comb
soap
hotel size shampoos
trail mix
granola bars
crackers
pack of gum
band aids
mouthwash
coins or predetermined dollar amount, say 5.00 (could be used to make a phone call, or purchase a food item)
hand wipes
you could also put in a warm pair of socks
a packet rain poncho
tampons (for women)
The ideas could be endless!
Assemble all the items in the bags, and maybe throw in a note of encouragement. Seal the bags and stow in your car for a moment of providence.

That's a cool idea.

Thanks!
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Hot lead and dirty talk! on November 22, 2014, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
I think there's the underlying assumption that anyone you take with you will have their own bags, so no expectation of sharing with the ones you're traveling with, and limiting willingness to share on the road.

I was assuming they figured you didn't have any friends or a woman if you keep a 'survival' bag at the ready. Wonder why I thought that?  8)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on November 23, 2014, 09:13:45 AM
Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk on November 22, 2014, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
I think there's the underlying assumption that anyone you take with you will have their own bags, so no expectation of sharing with the ones you're traveling with, and limiting willingness to share on the road.

I was assuming they figured you didn't have any friends or a woman if you keep a 'survival' bag at the ready.

It's probably safe to assume that if you build a go-bag just for yourself then you probably don't.

It's also curious that, as far as I can remember, none of these go-bags has an allowance for first aid. Apparently in a bug out situation nobody is or will be hurt.

Further, I live with three women. (Ok, a wife and two daughters, but the point still stands). Women are different from men in a few respects.

Think about it.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 23, 2014, 09:22:52 AM
tampons are good for a lot of things.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 23, 2014, 09:23:22 AM
^^^  a serious comment. 
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on November 23, 2014, 09:56:04 AM
don't elaborate

please don't
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 23, 2014, 10:15:56 AM
http://planet.infowars.com/preparedness/the-swiss-army-survival-tampon-10-survival-uses
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Martok on November 23, 2014, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 23, 2014, 09:56:04 AM
don't elaborate

please don't
Not that horrifying, actually.  It was pretty easy to guess quite a few of the functions the article mentioned (and survival stuff ain't exactly my bailiwick). 

Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 12:46:03 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 11, 2014, 12:40:08 PMDid ya ever notice that these go bags are made for loners?
I have yet to see one packed for a family, or to share.

So, building off of this thought, I've been wondering "what's a minimum-level bag for you to hand off to someone?" if you needed/wanted to pack extras for the unknown traveler.

There are a few assumptions I'm using
-- this is not for a family member / permanent household occupant, as you would have plenty of time to pack/prepare a go-bag for that person well in advance
-- no idea if you're going to run into male/female, age/height/weight, etc
-- no major investments in gear/tools/equipment, under the assumption that this person might not choose to stay with you
-- as compact as possible so you don't lose too much of your own carry capacity for what is essentially designed as a 'giveaway'

Here we go...


The pack itself.  This is the one bigger expense.  You can do just string-bag style backpacks, but those don't hold up well if your recipient has to travel very long/far.  Instead, maybe think about a packable daypack like either of these:
--  Eagle Creek (http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packable-daypack/d/1398_c_412_cl_412)
--  Eddie Bauer (http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/rippac-reg-packable-daypack/82301986/_/A-ebSku_0231986309__82301986_catalog10002_en__US?isRedirect=true)
Either of these it's expensive at full price, but if you can find one at an outlet, or pick one up on a "$5 with purchase over..." deal, you can pick up a few of these along the way to prep later.  We have 3 of them from Eddie Bauer that are a similar make to this one, but not exact.  The key thing is, they all pack into their own pocket, which is great for (a) compactness, and (b) controlling the load you're going to pack into it.

The basics.  You can pack a truckload of simple, useful stuff for under $10, thanks to Target (or someone similar)
-- First Aid Kit - 97¢ (http://www.target.com/p/johnson-johnson-essential-first-aid-items-12-count/-/A-13404351#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=first+aid+kit)   (augment with a few safety pins and alcohol wipes)
-- Emergency Poncho - $1.99 (http://www.target.com/p/coleman-emergency-poncho/-/A-12805274#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=poncho)
-- Emergency Blanket - $1.99 (http://www.target.com/p/outdoor-blanket-coleman-all-ages-no-l-cense-grey/-/A-14898354#prodSlot=medium_1_2)
-- Matches - dirt cheap if you just want a pack of matches, or if you want waterproof ones, these are $2.99 (http://www.target.com/p/coleman-waterproof-matches/-/A-12798639#prodSlot=medium_1_3) at my Target
-- Rope - Here's a $2.97 pack of paracord (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-50-ft-Assorted-Color-Paracord-Rope-MFP350/205517109) from Home Depot
so depending on what you spend on matches, that's $8-11 to put a decent set of starter contents in the bag.  Put them all in a 1-gallon ziplock freezer bag inside the stuffed/collapsed version of the backpack.

The extras.  Here are a handful of not-terribly-expensive add-ons you could easily include depending on your budget and your tolerance for giving stuff away.
-- Gloves.  Work gloves are best, since they double as hand-warmers without the low-wearout-tollerance of nicer cold-weather gloves.  You can get a multi-pack at Home Depot for $7.88 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Latex-Coated-String-Knit-Large-Gloves-12-Pairs-5783-40/202529736)
-- Knife.  Target has a $10 folder from Gerber. (http://www.target.com/p/folding-knife-gerber/-/A-14898467#prodSlot=medium_1_46)  Spend much less than that and you've got a piece of crap knife, so you may not want to pack a knife just to give away to someone else.  You can also get a big-ass knife for $8.99 at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/outdoor-categories-for-seo/recreation/8-inch-hunting-survival-knife-90714.html).
-- Light.  These little flashlights are only $1.99 for a pack at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/household/lighting/2-piece-3-12-in-9-led-mini-flashlight-69065.html), but if you watch their coupons, you can get one for free.  If you can find a light with a built-in strobe action, even better.
-- Collapsible water bottle.  Here's a cheap one from REI (http://www.rei.com/product/884121/vapur-reflex-runway-foldable-water-bottle-2014-closeout), but you can find seasonal sales at places like Target where you can get them as low as $1.99.
-- Socks.  Don't try to match size.  Just get a decent pair of work socks in a multi-pack and call it good.  Men's medium size will fit almost anyone between 4'10" and 6'4".

So the bag itself is the tough part, but if you can stock up on some give-away bags or dirt-cheap sale bags, you can slowly accumulate 3-5 of them, and then spend a weekend blowing $30 to stock up all of them.  Keep 1/car and maybe 1-2 with your current go-bag.  You'll always have something to hand off in an emergency to someone else, without over-taxing yourself.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on November 30, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
^Good Thinking.

If some friend or relative is planning a long car trip and has a history of getting in jams you could put one in their car before they leave.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 02:35:39 PM
if I was making these for family and friends, there are definitely a few other things I would consider. I should have mentioned that you should always add a bandana. And if you can add a magnifying glass, that's not a bad addition also, and you can pick those up cheap at a dollar store.

if these are intended to be used in the very near term, then I would also consider adding a couple of energy bars, a P38 can opener (which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway), a seasonal appropriate hat, and some antibacterial hand sanitizer.  I would be careful about the hand sanitizer in the energy bars unless I was about to use them eminently, as I wouldn't want spoilage or spillage inside the bag.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 30, 2014, 02:42:25 PM
LB would have a bag of Aveeno and a banana.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Staggerwing on November 30, 2014, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 02:35:39 PM
  I would be careful about the hand sanitizer in the energy bars unless I was about to use them eminently, as I wouldn't want spoilage or spillage inside the bag.

If it's an alcohol-gel type sanitizer it should be good for a while, though it's not as great a sanitizer as many folks think. Get the small travel sizes and double bag them w/ freezer bags. If you leave it on your skin for several minutes, not rubbing it all in, it will be more effective. For surfaces you need bleach. You may not want to lug a bottle of that around but you could get some of these: https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-disinfecting-wipes-on-the-go/
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 03:37:47 PM
yeah, the "wet" stuff, like a pack of baby wipes, or trail mix, or hand sanitizer, etc would be stuff I'd add if I was ready to depart.  But mini-version of the bag that I built out of cheap stuff is all contents that can stay in the bag for the long haul, until you're ready to go.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on November 30, 2014, 10:37:16 PM
Good points, Brant.

I'm working on a generic go bag (based on the pack you gave me) that incorporates some first aid along with other general stuff.

Ideally I'll work up to several bags.

All it takes is time and money...
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 30, 2014, 10:56:20 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 30, 2014, 10:37:16 PM
Good points, Brant.

I'm working on a generic go bag (based on the pack you gave me) that incorporates some first aid along with other general stuff.

Ideally I'll work up to several bags of Aveeno.

All it takes is time and money and lube...

fixed
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 30, 2015, 10:25:25 AM
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10958726_10153066151393764_2831928348162110858_n.jpg?oh=81a3964c7d3836fb73db6a847d6b24b5&oe=55686816&__gda__=1431773299_ebedb188c22e12db127b5356e30e8d95)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 10:35:16 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 30, 2015, 10:25:25 AM
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10958726_10153066151393764_2831928348162110858_n.jpg?oh=81a3964c7d3836fb73db6a847d6b24b5&oe=55686816&__gda__=1431773299_ebedb188c22e12db127b5356e30e8d95)

+1
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 12:48:20 PM
OK, so here's another cut at the $20 Go-Bag, including the cost of the bag

QuoteThe $20 Go-Bag

First stop - Five Below  (total $5)
Get a $5 backpack.  Nothing too fancy, just a bunch of space inside, and at least 1 outside pocket, plus a water bottle pocket


Next, Harbor Freight Tools  (total $6)
Use 2 of their "free with any purchase" coupons
Buy these 2
$2  Latex Coated Work Gloves (to your size, large is Item#90912)
$4  Emergency 39 LED Triangle Work Light (Item#62158)
get these 2 free
Swivel Lens Headlamp (Item#45807)
5'6"x7'6" Tarp (Item#953)
You'll need to watch the coupons because these don't always come up for free, so snag them when they do.


Dollar Tree for the cheap stuff  ($2)
$1 (duh)  Bandana 2-pack  SKU#: 218628
$1 magnifying glass


Then, Target  (total $3)
$1 First Aid Kit
$2 Emergency Poncho


Finally, Home Depot (total $4)
$4  50-ft roll of paracord


Now, add the stuff you've already got at home
     * things you already have, like the ziploc bags
1 quart ziplock freezer bag with
— bandanas
— magnifying glass
— toothbrush*
— packs of matches*
— small mirror (old makeup compact w/ makeup cleared out)*

1 gallon ziplock freezer bag with
— gloves
— poncho
— rope
— headlamp
— large trash bag (contractor-style bag if possible)*
— heavy pair of socks*


Pack the backpack:
Outer pocket: first aid kit, emergency flashlight
Main pocket:  tarp, both ziplocs, hat*
Side pockets:  water bottles (empty until you're ready to go)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 30, 2015, 07:01:29 PM
nice!
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:50:06 PM
Not bad for $20.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:07:28 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:50:06 PM
Not bad for $20.

There's a joke here somewhere
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 30, 2015, 09:11:54 PM
Inflation.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:20:13 PM
Deflategate.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:07:28 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:50:06 PM
Not bad for $20.

There's a joke here somewhere

Hmmm. You're right. But who? $20 is far too much for a trick with Star. Clearly not enough for Gus. While the price is right for Mirth, he brought up the subject.

Who are we forgetting?

Ah, yes. Smuck.

Shave and a blow job...twenty bucks.

Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:24:06 PM
^That was well reasoned.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 09:32:01 PM
Thanks guys. 
No idea why I'm so obsessed with this that I keep coming back to it...


Something I forgot to mention is that you should pack some extra batteries for the lights, but that should come from your existing at-home stock rather than buy it.

What you get is some emergency shelter tools (rope + tarp), light / locators, warmth, and the ability to stay / keep things dry.
That'll get you through 24-48 hours before you need to start using more 'things' that what's in this bag.

For your next $10, I think you look into
-- Compass
-- Hatchet with a squared-off back that can be used as a hammer (eventually upgrade this to a FUBAR or something similar)
-- Can opener (P38 FTW!)
-- At least one load-bearing carabiner that you can use for leverage/pulley to move heavy stuff if you need to
-- More rope / upgrade the original rope
-- Basic small pair of screwdrivers (1 ea –/+)  (free in a 6-pack from Harbor Freight, just take the mid-size of each)
-- Second tarp - now you can make an impromptu tent and not just a lean-to (free from Harbor Freight)

The additional 'free' upgrades - from existing stock @ home - are the following
-- 1 gallon ziploc w/ a full change of clothes: shirt, shorts, socks / underwear, and an extra pair of underwear (you also move your extra socks into this bag from the other one)
-- small hard-plastic box (tupperware-ish) for the matches, batteries, spare keys, etc
-- quart-size ziploc with photocopies and digital geek-stick copies (PDFs) of all your important documents: birth certs, passports, DLs, deeds, etc
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
You forgot the hookers.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 09:40:20 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
You forgot the hookers.

for $30, you're not going to get any you'd want, even in an emergency
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:43:39 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 09:40:20 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
You forgot the hookers.

for $30, you're not going to get any you'd want, even in an emergency

Oh how you overestimate me.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 10:36:58 PM
I'll stop trying to compliment you, then ;)
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: mirth on July 30, 2015, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 10:36:58 PM
I'll stop trying to compliment you, then ;)

That's better.
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2015, 12:47:18 PM
some good ideas in here
http://lifehacker.com/learn-survival-skills-from-the-340-page-tokyo-disaster-1746866893
Title: Re: The Go Bag
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 21, 2017, 11:15:11 AM
This is a very tempting deal for an emergency home kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXLUX2/