i know the graphics of this one will be an immediate turn-off to some folks, but this game is surprisingly deep and it has been a very engaging and historically satisfying game so far.
You play a Roman Senator appointed as Legate to a Roman Legion by Emperor Claudius. Your mission is to support the invasion of Britannia. You start off with only a handful of legionnaires. You must set up an encampment and construct tents, storage points and fortifications for your Legion and go out into the wilderness to harvest resources. You attack settlements, raid convoys, sack fortified villages and attack VIPs in order to raise gold and silver. When you capture a settlement, you have a lot of options as far as what to do with the buildings and populations...loot, raze, enslave, murder, etc. Gold is used to recruit new troops and silver, or denarii is used to pay troops and acquire better weapons and armor. As Legate, you can promote legionnaires to officers and appoint them to important roles within the legionary officer corps. It is all based on actual military roles from the legions. You can also improve their armor and weapons, which all looks really cool in game. Before you know it, you'll have outfitted your first century and will be on your way to filling out your entire legion of nearly 1,000 men. You can control them on the march and on the battlefield and take part in direct combat yourself. The units are cutesy, but damn is there a lot of blood and severed body parts.
I'm still learning the UI and controls, but so far its all pretty kickass. I love these indy sleeper hits that come out of nowhere, but have such surprising depth in gameplay and features. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1970980/Warlord_Britannia/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1970980/Warlord_Britannia/)
This popped up in my Steam queue and I got psyched until seeing the graphics like you said - but now looking at them again they don't look so bad.
Zoomed out the graphics are probably more tolerable - damn you now I'm interested again.
:o
My money just tried to leap out of my pocket. Or maybe I was just happy to see it.
Come to think of it, Expeditions:Rome is on sale through the 30th, too.
Oh man, now I gotta go to Target and get a 20 dollah Steam card. This game looks good.
Note: Steam cards are great for making purchases that are not easily detectable by "The Warden". I've been busted before when using my credit card for unauthorized purchases. But keep this between ourselves. ;)
Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2022, 10:47:02 AM
Oh man, now I gotta go to Target and get a 20 dollah Steam card. This game looks good.
Note: Steam cards are great for making purchases that are not easily detectable by "The Warden". I've been busted before when using my credit card for unauthorized purchases. But keep this between ourselves. ;)
You should do what I did...form a corporation, write off the expenses and call it work. When my wife walks in on my playing, "but babe, I'm busy working!"
'Working'
Working? Gotta try that one sometime.
But seriously this game looks intriguing. Mixing first person with strategy elements to it? I like the sound of it.
Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2022, 10:47:02 AM
Note: Steam cards are great for making purchases that are not easily detectable by "The Warden". I've been busted before when using my credit card for unauthorized purchases. But keep this between ourselves. ;)
You're right. All but two of my too-many Steam games have been bought with Steam cards.
And it hasn't caused so much as a ripple in our thirty-five years of marriage.
What my wife doesn't know won't hurt me.
Quote from: Senex on May 26, 2022, 08:55:04 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2022, 10:47:02 AM
Note: Steam cards are great for making purchases that are not easily detectable by "The Warden". I've been busted before when using my credit card for unauthorized purchases. But keep this between ourselves. ;)
You're right. All but two of my too-many Steam games have been bought with Steam cards.
And it hasn't caused so much as a ripple in our thirty-five years of marriage.
What my wife doesn't know won't hurt me.
Do they sell Only Fans cards O:-) ?
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 27, 2022, 03:46:39 AM
Quote from: Senex on May 26, 2022, 08:55:04 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2022, 10:47:02 AM
Note: Steam cards are great for making purchases that are not easily detectable by "The Warden". I've been busted before when using my credit card for unauthorized purchases. But keep this between ourselves. ;)
You're right. All but two of my too-many Steam games have been bought with Steam cards.
And it hasn't caused so much as a ripple in our thirty-five years of marriage.
What my wife doesn't know won't hurt me.
Do they sell Only Fans cards O:-) ?
Bad man ;)
Well, I haven't played the game per se yet, but I just booted it up and spent a good 30 18 minutes wandering around the "museum", set in a heavenly Romanesque fanum (itself set on a wide circle of marble, itself set on sky. Note, do not take 30 seconds to walk off the marble. ;) )
The museum showcases the art style, of course, but more importantly the kit the figures will be using, which has an impressive level of detail and research.
The fanum is vastly much larger than necessary to showcase the equipment so far, which suggests more are planned for expansions and updates in the future. Or possibly they'll be added as I run into them in the game (which seems likely).
Started playing this yesterday. I like what I see so far. Don't attack a hamlet sized village until you have a fully decked out legion though. This game is a bit tougher than it appears to be. On the other hand I was able to lone wolf attacking a convoy and steal it's gold.
I haven't played farther yet (about to do so before multiplayer this afternoon), but based on the dev's roadmap I already have some idea what ISN'T in the game -- yet. Frankly, this seems like a late alpha, by that standard, since these seem like pretty important things to be in such a game, not like useful extra content.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1970980/view/3302839954742476841
Still to come, in this apparent order:
* bug fixes will continue apace, with QOL improvements and balances -- and the initial first patch dropped a day or two ago.
* modular and interactive Legion menu
* independent Century control
* formation improvements and expansions
* using build presets for camp relocation (unsure if this also means camp cannot yet be relocated)
* non-citizen soldier recruitment options (for auxs)
* special aux-only Centuries
* unique ranks and armors for the auxes
* framework for future aux expansions will be included at this stage
* small outpost base establishment with garrisons
* more building options and structures
* logistic hubs and supply lines
* food and material requirements
* citizen and aux archer recruitment
* barbarian archers with ranged AI behavior
* manned watchtowers
* ballistas and onagers
* wandering civilians
* unarmed porters
* domestic animals
* farmers and shepherds at work
* more foliage and environments
* cit and aux cav
* barbi cav and chariots
* diplomacy with tribes
* drop-in multiplayer
* workshop support
Wow that's a ton of stuff.
I'm finding the only thing I can complain about this game so far is not being able to manage all my troop promotions and kit ugrades in one central location. I have to physically hunt down each soldier and either promote his rank or upgrade his kit, or both.
That seems to be one of the first things he'll be upgrading in the Foundational phase.
Played about an hour of it last night. Much bloodier than you might expect from figures that are basically dummies for displaying armor! I made the mistake of getting into a fight with an equivalent number of local VIPs on their way at night between one place and another, without even knowing how to set my troops into a proper battle line. We won, but I lost five troops more or less. Currently there seems to be only one formation in the game, but it can be altered to face directions, hold in place, and charge.
The concept is that you play a (currently unnamed) Senator who has been commissioned by Claudius (if I recall correctly) to be a Legate for the newly raised 13th Legion. Your job is to conquer and secure an island in the English Channel to serve as a logistic waypoint for the invasion of Britain proper -- although I suspect from the tutorial instructions that this little island (of Guernsey?) will turn out to look oddly like the main British isle with fortified highlands at the northern finale. ;) As far as I can tell, the campaign island is not procedurally generated: it has been the same one every time I start a new game.
Consequently, even though the game says you're landing with the partial first of ten Centuries for a Legion, you're really landing with the first partial squad of a Century, which is why going up against even a village will get you killed early on. But don't worry! -- you'll still be promoting your troops like they're in a Legion! ::) (This is a game scale issue, of course.)
You have (invisible non-combat) scouts keeping track of the local couple of miles roundabout, including some pre-scouting reports so when you get dropped off on the beach you already have a map of the local area, and the scouts will let you know about targets of opportunity moving around the countryside and on the roads.
Everything (except some paperwork) is in 1st-person, and there is no fast travel (maybe never), which gives a nice granular feel to the proceedings.
Ran into a potentially game-killing bug twice (even on a fresh restart) yesterday, where even after troops are assigned to working, and are given jobs to do or already have jobs waiting, they just cluster together -- sometimes due to being surrounded by troops, but even when the troops are pulled away the workers huddle like pitiful cowards! :tickedoff:
Do they need wood to work with? -- but they already have enough, and won't go cut more.
Do they need chests to store wood in? -- but they won't make the chests.
Do they need tents to spread out the camp for people to walk around in? -- but they won't build the tents!
I experimented around and never got them to de-huddle, so I had to restart the game (hadn't saved that campaign yet so I couldn't reload from a save). I suspect had I converted them all back to soldiers (still doable), called them to arms (tried that, too), and walked them out to the maximum distance from the camp vex pole possible before disbanding them, and then QUICKLY ENOUGH tabbed over to assign some workers from the troops while the figures were re-convening at the pole, that would have worked. But I don't know.
The dev should code a larger amount of 'milling' room around the vex pole, proportionately scaling to the number of troops, so that figures are better able to deploy once assigned as workers. I'll try to remember to drop a note about that in a bug report.
Meanwhile, with several restarts of the campaign I've been experimenting about the fastest way to bootstrap up.
1.) Don't attack anyone until your company ('century' in game) has got as many officers as possible. You can have a 0 day Tessarion, but that isn't enough; you should promote him to an Optio first (and promote another troop to Tess), and that means waiting until about noon when the day-experience kicks in.
2.) Relatedly, don't attack anyone until your 'century' has picked up more troops to replace the promoted officers. You'll start with 10 gold, and gold is (so far) worthless for anything except buying new troops; but 10 gold should be easily enough to fill out your first 'century', especially if you're careful about resting between fights.
3.) While you're waiting for noon, march your first troops over to near your first target, ideally a waystation, and assign workers to build two chests and then chop five trees. (I'm honestly unsure how the chests really work yet, since clearly you don't need them to hold wood at the beginning, or between moving camp.) That will be enough to get five contabrium tents, and the officer tent, which will be enough camping room to fill out your century, though it'll be a few game-days before you have enough experience (and silver) to get there.
4.) After noon, fill out your Optio and Tessarion slots, and buy up as many troops as you can get with those two officers. (This won't fill out the century yet; you'll need three more for that including the Centurion, who won't be available until day 3, but the Signifier and the other guy can be promoted on day 2.)
5.) In the afternoon, go hit your first target, being careful NOT to have any convoys on the way or nearby to help defend them. If you deploy in battle line and hold position, you should be able to win that fight handily, but don't go after anything bigger than a farm (and even some farms are bigger than others! -- a small farm. Of course a real 'century' would tear through a farming village like paper, but this is really more like a platoon.)
6.) Be lenient with the captured village, just one quarter taxation. You won't need more silver income for a while (and you'll be picking up at least one more income every day), and it'll keep down unrest. Also, you won't need more than initial gold to fill out your 'century' (including some spare overhead to replace a few casualties).
7.) Go back to your temporary base camp to disband, allowing the troops to heal and restock on javs.
8.) Pack up your camp (you'll get all your wood back), and set up a more permanent base (no need for walls yet) near your first captured area, so you can deploy against targets and convoys nearby it. Go ahead and put in torches for night late, and a couple of barrels for..... not sure what they do, but you should have enough wood (and if not, a couple of trees should suffice). Aside from walls (no gates!) this is all the construction available in the game presently. More might unlock later, don't know (but a lot is still on the dev list).
Be sure to get all the workers immediately back to troop status when they're finished, at any time, just in case there's trouble. At this time you don't need guard/patrol troops on assignment: just make sure you aren't camped on a road or a likely path for convoys to go through; or else plan to be there ready to fight! Your sneaky scouts-not-appearing-in-the-game will let you know what's coming.
9.) By now evening is probably coming, or already here. Go hit any other small farm or waystation nearby. You'll get a bonus if you tell your troops to douse torches (x key I think?) before you get close enough to fight, although I don't know whether you have to charge out of battle line for that bonus. Holding a battle line is better anyway, as it provides more defense, allows javs to throw (which can mulch up to 75% of the charging force in my experience), and you can run around outside the line supporting your troops by drawing away problems or hitting troublesome enemies in the back. This should get you a second quarter-tax income by dawn of day 2.
10.) Go back to camp to disband, heal and restock on javs.
11.) Wait until mid-morning or noon or whenever the 'day' clock rolls over for your 1-day troops to level up to 2-day; then get your next two officers, filling out troop slots accordingly with gold afterward. (This, or maybe earlier, will trigger a quest reward from Legion HQ giving you more silver, too.)
12.) Continue this plan through day 3, hitting waystations and (more likely) nearby farms. I don't know that I'd go for hamlets yet, certainly not villages.
13.) When your 3-day level arrives (at the time they get paid in silver in the morning, I expect), promote your Optio to Centurion, back fill that officer line, and complete your 'century'.
14.) From this point, you'll be focusing for a while on upgrading your century's armor, starting with your officers. Managing extra centuries becomes progressively more bothersome (under the current game system), but you can do a lot with just one, as long as you ranger up. ;)
^Very nice tips!
I more or less follow what you recommend with the exception of packing up my camp and moving it around. I tend to find a spot located centrally from all the targets I intend to attack. I only move the camp when it's time to go after another section of the map.
Incidentally, if you pack up your camp not only do you retain all the wood stored up in your chests and barrels but any walls you built get left behind. In this way you can return to that campsite later on and still have those walls to protect you. Really cool!
I only move the camp once so far: I can't set up too near my first target, but I don't want to be far away either. Then after I take my first target, I set up a more detailed camp nearby so I know I've got defense near that first conquest. Besides I need to spend some time doing stuff so my troops day-level up.
This is another reason I like to choose a waystation as my first target.
Interesting. I'm going to have to attack a waystation the next time I fire this game up and see what's what. :)
The small 1.12 update today, a few hours ago, broke the game not only even loading, not only even finishing the update, but even installing after a delete. sigh.
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 04, 2022, 02:42:42 PM
The small 1.12 update today, a few hours ago, broke the game not only even loading, not only even finishing the update, but even installing after a delete. sigh.
Works for me. I know this does not help you, but I don't think your issue is one with the patch.
Installed it on my operating system drive, same thing happened in the same sequence: a crash back to Steam/desktop from the all-black loading screen; then the game refuses to even try loading, with a Steam error talking about a download error; combined with a permanent download failure on the Steam download screen. This is after a full reinstall which as far as Steam was concerned went fine to verified completion. Attempting to verify the install simply stops short with a crash at the last second, same results.
I noticed this time, that when trying the second load (after the crash from the black loading screen), Steam briefly threw up a window asking for a verification code, like Matrix/Slitherine might give you (for example, nothing specifically to do with them).
That would suggest a new DRM problem in the game; perhaps it only affects Windows 8.1 systems, which is why it works for you?
The dev has been steadily releasing patches since v.1 release, so hopefully this will be resolved in a few days. It isn't like I don't have bunches of other things to play. ;)
The 1.2 update has added some camp-defense structures originally planned for later, especially watchtowers and gates, as well as fixing some serious bugs and adding some nice QOL functionality (such as converting 1 gold to 75 silver).
However, it doesn't fix my prior crash to desktop problem -- or possibly it does, but only by shifting problems!
Previously, I had seen evidence (from a split-second Steam window asking for a product verification code) that the 1.12 addition of Steam DRM was causing the crash (although why that would nuke some final file from the install, preventing me from neither launching, nor verifying, nor re-installing beyond a 99% install, I have no idea.)
Now, after a fresh install, running the game crashes into my Avast antivirus, which stops the executable and wants to put the exe into quarantine!
On one hand, I'm not a big fan of whitelisting execs from new devs/publishers without an established trustworthy track record; and Avast had no problems (per se) with earlier versions, including 1.12 (which was apparently crashing for other reasons).
On the other hand, Avast can't tell me what the specific problem is that it wants to quarantine, categorizing it as generic.
I have noted the problem on the official 1.2 release thread, and probably will just wait for the next release to see what happens. It isn't like I don't have other games to play! ::)
Early Access is an absolute lottery.
I now use my very limited reserves of self control to avoid all kickstarter/ EA and even beta versions of games.
Helps my blood pressure no end ;)
Update 1.3! -- the final planned (aside from hotfixes) before the next level of update, "Foundations".
Adds some base-defense quality of life fixes, especially including re-arming missiles every 20 seconds while within a reasonable distance of the base during battle.
Also now introduces the saved-camp layout function (moved up a bit from the original plan, iirc.) Upon disassembling the current camp, the layout is saved and can be optionally applied to the next camp setup for the legion. (Apparently, every camp takedown currently autosaves for an optional rebuild at the next camp, rather than saving possible layouts yet.)
Most importantly for my purposes, however: the Steam DRM problem currently seems gone! I could load the game and get into the museum (as a quick test, nothing new to see there yet)!
So here's Rimmy (whom many of us know, I think), playing the game almost completely the wrong way. ;)
Mistakes were made...
That is a different guy. The one you're thinking of is from England...not Oz.
Mm, no? -- I didn't mean "know personally", I thought many of us watch Rimmy the Australian (Rimmy Downunder Gaming) who does a bunch of humorous computer wargaming things, especially in Arma3.
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 22, 2022, 07:44:42 AM
Mm, no? -- I didn't mean "know personally", I thought many of us watch Rimmy the Australian (Rimmy Downunder Gaming) who does a bunch of humorous computer wargaming things, especially in Arma3.
Alright. I thought you were referring to Jason Rimmer. He was a member of our forum and went and started a wargaming group of his own. Seems like he would have been the obvious reference you were making. I've never heard of Rimmy from Downunder.
Development by the dev continues, slow but steady! The 2.0 benchmark "Foundations" has been released! (Though I expect I'll wait a few days for hotpatching as the community tests it.)
The camp relocation has already been done (along with introducing gates and watchtowers, better camp defense programming, and general QoL plus bug-squashing.)
This introduces the much-needed Century and Legion modular management tools, both in organization and on the field.
QuoteAdded support for more Formation modes
Added support for Formation layouts
Added Testudo mode (in addition to Marching and Battle)
Added new Testudo mode shield animations for units in rear ranks
Added 1 column and 2 column Marching layouts
Added 3 row (the original layout), 2 row, wide, and stagger Battle layouts
Added new "Foundations" music track
Added ability to mouse-over and see unit info in the Legion menu
Added ability to click on units in Legion menu to upgrade and promote
Added ability to transfer units via the Legion menu
Added new unit icon colors in Legion menu, default is Soldier and Officer, orange is Guard, red is Worker
Added individual Call to Arms toggles to each Century in Legion menu
Added Soldier and Guard/Worker sliders to each Century in Legion menu
Added support for new unit types in future updates
Added support for generic groups (includes officers, positions, modes, etc), which could apply to the Britons in future updates
Added Hold Pila toggle (H)
Changed Tesserarius and Optio to be counted as Officers, can no longer guard or work
Updated the Help menu with proof-read text
Moved Recruit button to the Legion menu
Moved Call to Arms/Disband button to the Legion menu
Moved "Cancel All" buttons to the Legion menu
Removed the Manage menu, everything is controlled via the Legion menu now
Removed the Unassigned job
The next big benchmark, v.3, will introduce recruitment and management of local troops as auxiliaries.
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 30, 2022, 10:18:54 AM
Development by the dev continues, slow but steady! The 2.0 benchmark "Foundations" has been released! (Though I expect I'll wait a few days for hotpatching as the community tests it.)
The camp relocation has already been done (along with introducing gates and watchtowers, better camp defense programming, and general QoL plus bug-squashing.)
This introduces the much-needed Century and Legion modular management tools, both in organization and on the field.
QuoteAdded support for more Formation modes
Added support for Formation layouts
Added Testudo mode (in addition to Marching and Battle)
Added new Testudo mode shield animations for units in rear ranks
Added 1 column and 2 column Marching layouts
Added 3 row (the original layout), 2 row, wide, and stagger Battle layouts
Added new "Foundations" music track
Added ability to mouse-over and see unit info in the Legion menu
Added ability to click on units in Legion menu to upgrade and promote
Added ability to transfer units via the Legion menu
Added new unit icon colors in Legion menu, default is Soldier and Officer, orange is Guard, red is Worker
Added individual Call to Arms toggles to each Century in Legion menu
Added Soldier and Guard/Worker sliders to each Century in Legion menu
Added support for new unit types in future updates
Added support for generic groups (includes officers, positions, modes, etc), which could apply to the Britons in future updates
Added Hold Pila toggle (H)
Changed Tesserarius and Optio to be counted as Officers, can no longer guard or work
Updated the Help menu with proof-read text
Moved Recruit button to the Legion menu
Moved Call to Arms/Disband button to the Legion menu
Moved "Cancel All" buttons to the Legion menu
Removed the Manage menu, everything is controlled via the Legion menu now
Removed the Unassigned job
The next big benchmark, v.3, will introduce recruitment and management of local troops as auxiliaries.
I am really starting to get excited about where this one is going.
Well all righty then! The second major roadmap has been released, and the prior 3rd and 4th stages will be flipped now (so archery and artillery will now come before the logistics and outposts.)
QuoteLegates,
I am happy to announce the release of the second major roadmap update, Auxiliaries! As the roadmap suggests, this update adds a new infantry unit, replete with its own centuries and some unique ranks. These auxiliaries behave in much the same way as their Roman-citizen counterparts but with a few stat differences. They are more expensive initially, have more health, and deal slightly more damage. In addition, hailing from the recently conquered province of Transalpine Gaul, they are visually taller than the Romans, more akin to your Briton enemies.
Speaking of the Britons, they have also received reinforcements in this update in the form of roaming Warbands. Unlike convoys and noble gatherings, these groups are a permanent menace in the world. Warbands have their own uniquely named leader, who is present on the battlefield, accompanied by a bugler carrying the fearsome carnyx.
Aside from the two big features, auxiliaries and warbands, a number of other additions, improvements, and optimizations have been made as well. Please enjoy the new content, and as usual, utilize the Discord server for reporting bugs and making suggestions!
Also, see below for an updated roadmap (this is version 2). I have decided to expedite the delivery of the Archers and Artillery update. This of course pushes out the Logistics and Outposts update, but I think having all recruitable units (with the exception of cavalry) ready first will work out smoother.
Thank you for your support!
Update Log:
Added 4 Auxiliary infantry centuries
Added new Auxiliary object variations and assets
Added 2 Auxiliary high-command ranks
Added Gaulish personal names for Auxiliaries
Added 4 Auxiliary-related quests and 2 Steam achievements
Added Auxiliary contubernium tent structure
Added Warbands of varying size and difficulty
Added new barbarian leader and carnyx bearer assets
Added upgrade-armor button for each century
Added random chance for Pila to drop an enemy shield instead of dealing damage
Added positional damage to barbarians, applies when the player is attacking them
Added legs dismemberment
Added mortal wound
Added new track when encountering warbands
Added new warbands defeated statistic
Added 3 warband-related quests and 2 Steam achievements
Added spacing guideline to tents when building
Updated help menu with info on warbands
Updated Museum with auxiliaries
Updated Museum with carynx and waterloo helmet
Updated Museum with legion vexillum
Improved at-camp pathfinding in front of tents
Improved testudo behavior so units always have their shields up
Improved camp life with tent distinction (officer/enlisted) and pausing in front of tents
Improved AI targeting when in large groups
Improved barbarian shield usage
Improved player ability to push aside AI
Changed Legion menu organization to display groups as they would be arrayed in-game when in Battle 3-rows formation
Changed AI pilum accuracy with added randomness
Changed charge behavior so Centurions participate
Changed main menu theme
Optimized AI targeting by reducing memory usage
Optimized player controller
Optimized environment reflection probe
Optimized AI audio controller
Optimized convoy/raid/gathering controller
Optimized AI projectile controller
Optimized character models with GPU instancing
Increased legionary speed when in marching mode
Increased base health of all AI to make fight last longer
Increased base health of barbarians slightly
Increased barbarian damage slightly
Deceased roman armor effectiveness slightly
Fixed workers not completing structures
Fixed pilum pool running out when in large battles
Fixed furca not dropping to the ground if legionary is killed
Fixed UI issue when selecting units in the Legion tab
...and it's 20% off in the "We who Are About to Die on Steam" sale.
Well, today the dev released the final planned roadmap update, adding cavalry (both Roman and Barbarian) to the game!
Support will continue for a while on bugfixes and polishing, and then he'll be off to his new project.
Is the game playable? Very much! Is it kind of much of a muchness? Very much?!
I shall try to get familiar with all the new things soon and film a demo.