GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 11:50:26 AM

Title: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 11:50:26 AM
I was definitely not expecting this  :nerd:

Definitely not for everyone but I know medieval and renaissance aficionados lurk here.

The art style is unique (I like it) and it's from Obsidian so the story will be good.

Billed as an 'historical mystery role playing game.'

Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 01:14:53 PM
Looks awesome.  Love the art style!
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 01:49:32 PM
There was another game we were recently looking at with a similar style but for whatever reason in that game it didn't work for me...can't remember which one it was.
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Con on June 14, 2022, 03:03:38 PM
Very Name of the Rose vibes
Con
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 03:19:03 PM
^I loved that book.
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 01:49:32 PM
There was another game we were recently looking at with a similar style but for whatever reason in that game it didn't work for me...can't remember which one it was.

Was it that Monty Python-esque turn based strategy game?  That one was a lot of fun but ran out of oomph quickly due to there being no skirmish or MP
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 04:42:27 PM
It was last week but for my addled brain is may as well have been 20 years ago...I can't remember. I just remember you and I did not like that art style.
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: CJReich46 on June 14, 2022, 05:02:18 PM
Quote from: Con on June 14, 2022, 03:03:38 PM
Very Name of the Rose vibes
Con

:o I read that book too. Loved it.
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 05:26:44 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 04:42:27 PM
It was last week but for my addled brain is may as well have been 20 years ago...I can't remember. I just remember you and I did not like that art style.

Oh yeah, Warhammer 40K rogue trader!  I think the big difference is in the execution and expectations.  For one thing, the modern Netflix cartoon style just doesn't fit 40K - and for another thing, the animations were terrible!  In comparison, the art style is pulled off extremely well here, and feels more consistent with the game's theme.
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 05:53:33 PM
^That was it! Jesus...olde
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: JasonPratt on June 14, 2022, 08:53:37 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 01:49:32 PM
There was another game we were recently looking at with a similar style but for whatever reason in that game it didn't work for me...can't remember which one it was.

Wait, Rogue Trader has that art style!? Weird. (I haven't really looked at it yet, just noted it was coming and thought going back to the roots of 40K as an i.p. was cool.)

I recently wishlisted Card Shark, which involves card-cheating your way through a 1700s Parisian plotline. It has a similar but even more stylized style. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371720/Card_Sh
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 09:18:31 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 14, 2022, 08:53:37 PM

I recently wishlisted Card Shark, which involves card-cheating your way through a 1700s Parisian plotline. It has a similar but even more stylized style. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371720/Card_Sh

This also looks quite cool, thanks for sharing!  I guess the closest we'll get to a video game based on that recent Card Counter film with Oscar Isaac  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2022, 09:25:17 PM
That does look very atmospheric...so many games to choose from :/
Title: Re: Pentiment from Obsidian
Post by: FarAway Sooner on June 14, 2022, 11:09:50 PM
Quote from: CJReich46 on June 14, 2022, 05:02:18 PM
Quote from: Con on June 14, 2022, 03:03:38 PM
Very Name of the Rose vibes
Con

:o I read that book too. Loved it.

It's a mighty good book.  The movie with Sean Connery was good, but not as good as the book.

My dad actually taught that book in one of his graduate school classes for a few years.  He loved Umberto Eco's historical accuracy and authenticity,