GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on June 14, 2022, 08:39:13 PM

Title: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: JasonPratt on June 14, 2022, 08:39:13 PM
"Whatever it was... it wasn't human."



At long last, the Aliens game franchise takes its first steps to catch up with WH40K!



(...this is partly irony, since 40K owes a lot of its origins to creating the background for Space Hulk once upon a time, which owes its own origins and game designs DIRECTLY from Cameron's Aliens.)
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 08:47:26 PM
I'm not gonna pretend to know what you're talking about Jason  ???  (Beyond the basic connection of 40K and Tyranids being influenced by Alien/s)

The very little gameplay shown looks pretty dull and generic, I don't have high hopes for this one.
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2022, 08:53:50 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 08:47:26 PM
I'm not gonna pretend to know what you're talking about Jason  ???  (Beyond the basic connection of 40K and Tyranids being influenced by Alien/s)

The very little gameplay shown looks pretty dull and generic, I don't have high hopes for this one.

+1. This is most likely going to be another great disappointment for fans of the franchise. For some reason, developers can no longer make a good Aliens game...even if their lives depended on it.
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: al_infierno on June 14, 2022, 09:16:34 PM
Guess I'll just fire up AVP 2000 again  :-\
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: JasonPratt on June 15, 2022, 10:37:13 AM
I honestly can't tell much of anything about actual gameplay from what looks like a bunch of cutscenes. I suspect, though I can't be sure, that this is based on the Fireteam engine. (Notably, Aliens: Fireteam, or whatever it's called, Left 4team Dead ;) is getting a proper campaign soon if not already.)

My "4th generation Genestealers" quip concerns the humanesque Xenomorphs able to wield weapons. Which in Warhammer40K games (Space Hulk or otherwise) starts in the 3rd generation of the "Genestealer" aliens (from the Tyranid faction) that Games Workshop invented to sub in for the Xenomorph aliens.

(Come to think of it, those in the trailer might be more like 3rd generation as they're clearly still alien-looking. 4th Gen Genestealers can easily pass for human if they're careful, being more like vampire coven leaders.)
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: Gusington on June 15, 2022, 10:51:20 AM
Vampire HR Giger aliens? I think you're on to something.
Title: Re: So, 4th generation Genestealers have finally arrived in the Aliens franch---what
Post by: Destraex on June 18, 2022, 08:23:16 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 15, 2022, 10:37:13 AM
I honestly can't tell much of anything about actual gameplay from what looks like a bunch of cutscenes. I suspect, though I can't be sure, that this is based on the Fireteam engine. (Notably, Aliens: Fireteam, or whatever it's called, Left 4team Dead ;) is getting a proper campaign soon if not already.)

My "4th generation Genestealers" quip concerns the humanesque Xenomorphs able to wield weapons. Which in Warhammer40K games (Space Hulk or otherwise) starts in the 3rd generation of the "Genestealer" aliens (from the Tyranid faction) that Games Workshop invented to sub in for the Xenomorph aliens.

(Come to think of it, those in the trailer might be more like 3rd generation as they're clearly still alien-looking. 4th Gen Genestealers can easily pass for human if they're careful, being more like vampire coven leaders.)

I am with you Jason, I can see the circle you speak of. They are missing cultists clutches though... or maybe not? At the risk of sounding negative that game looks pretty boring. Some of the voice overs in the intro clip sound like finger nails on a chalk board. Worse than the screams of a xenomorph.