Hello, just heard about this forum. I hope it's ok to promote my own project, Armored Brigade, here. I've designed it to be my "perfect game". It's heavily influenced by Steel Panthers and Combat Mission, just to name a few. The game is freeware, and the plan is to make a commercial release in the future. The latest version 0.806 was released today.
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/
Greetings! Talking about your own stuff is totally OK - or we might never get anywhere.
Tell us a little more about it - what are some of the features you culled from SP and CM? What are some of the situations and scenarios you've built for the game? What sorts of players are going to like it (ie, if you like ___ then you'll probably like Armored Brigade)?
Tell us more! Tell us more! Tell us more!
There are a few of us around here who have dabbled in Armored Brigade and I think it has a lot of potential. I'll have to go get the current version.
And......yes. This is a good place to promote it. :)
Welcome! Please share more about your game.
Yes. I've definitely seen a few threads about this sim over the years, I think. One not too long ago, in fact.
Anyway, welcome. Really glad to have indie developers around!
Good to have you here :)
i very well remember your project from another forum and last experimented with the 0710 version a bit then
high time to download your update 8)
Welcome Veitikka!
Welcome. I've played this one years back. Maybe it's time to load it up again.
Welcome to the forums I look forward to hearing more about this game. It looks like you are off to an interesting start.
Many thanks for the welcomes! :)
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 27, 2012, 01:57:31 PM
Tell us a little more about it - what are some of the features you culled from SP and CM? What are some of the situations and scenarios you've built for the game? What sorts of players are going to like it (ie, if you like ___ then you'll probably like Armored Brigade)?
Well, personally I like to see this game as a real-time Steel Panthers, but some people have compared it to Combat Mission, Close Combat, TacOps and some other games. I'd say that UI-wise it's closest to Close Combat, but with improvements like the LOS tool and colored elevation maps. When it comes to the AI opponent I believe that it's at least on the same level or better when compared to the aforementioned games. Just remember that it is fully dynamic and must be able to handle any force/map/mission combination possible, as there aren't any canned scenarios yet. The player can select any area from the maps, which currently consist of 30,000 square kilometers (30 meter resolution) of Central Europe, and fight the battle there. Any other wargame that can do this? There's a lot of potential as these days the satellite data is readily available for everyone.
The unit scale and the level of modeling is probably closest to SP, as well as the terrain detail, although AB uses a grid instead of hexes.
AB is very moddable and it's easy to add new units, graphics, maps etc. This is actually one of the game's strengths, as I've kept everything simple to make it easy to add new content. All who are interested to help are welcome to the team. Maybe somebody wants to add his own country to the game?
Sounds cool. When can we see some preview code for the website? =)
Quote from: LongBlade on September 01, 2012, 10:14:03 AM
When can we see some preview code for the website? =)
Sorry but what do you mean by this?
^I don't think Longblade realized that the beta builds are publicly available on your site. I'm sure someone on our staff will step up to write an impressions article for the main page!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 05:54:51 PM
^I don't think Longblade realized that the beta builds are publicly available on your site. I'm sure someone on our staff will step up to write an impressions article for the main page!
You're right. I need to get over there and look closely at the game. So many games, so little time...
^Orcs Must Die 2! is definitely a time sink.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 07:20:31 PM
^Orcs Must Die 2! is definitely a time sink.
Heh. Glad you like it :) LMK if you're up for some MP.
Armored Brigade has just been updated - and this time it is huge. Now there are 11 countries available: Finland, France, FRG, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK, USA, USSR, Yugoslavia. And there are many other additions.
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/
And to think, that all of this is being solo-made by one guy from Finland... :o
Thanks for the heads-up, PAK!
Welcome Veitikka! I played some Armored Brigade a few months back and was very favorably impressed. I'm going to give this new build a spin this weekend.
There's a nice review of this game by Scott P over at wargamer.com
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 07:20:31 PM
^Orcs Must Die 2! is definitely a time sink.
Do you really rate it? Does it have any long term value once you've fathomed it out? I've heard some good things about it and my daughter has been asking for it along with Game of Dwarves. I'd value your opinion.
Quote from: Veitikka on September 01, 2012, 07:27:59 AM
Many thanks for the welcomes! :)
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 27, 2012, 01:57:31 PM
Tell us a little more about it - what are some of the features you culled from SP and CM? What are some of the situations and scenarios you've built for the game? What sorts of players are going to like it (ie, if you like ___ then you'll probably like Armored Brigade)?
Well, personally I like to see this game as a real-time Steel Panthers, but some people have compared it to Combat Mission, Close Combat, TacOps and some other games. I'd say that UI-wise it's closest to Close Combat, but with improvements like the LOS tool and colored elevation maps. When it comes to the AI opponent I believe that it's at least on the same level or better when compared to the aforementioned games. Just remember that it is fully dynamic and must be able to handle any force/map/mission combination possible, as there aren't any canned scenarios yet. The player can select any area from the maps, which currently consist of 30,000 square kilometers (30 meter resolution) of Central Europe, and fight the battle there. Any other wargame that can do this? There's a lot of potential as these days the satellite data is readily available for everyone.
The unit scale and the level of modeling is probably closest to SP, as well as the terrain detail, although AB uses a grid instead of hexes.
AB is very moddable and it's easy to add new units, graphics, maps etc. This is actually one of the game's strengths, as I've kept everything simple to make it easy to add new content. All who are interested to help are welcome to the team. Maybe somebody wants to add his own country to the game?
Welcome Veitikka. Is it pausable realtime?
Quote from: Boggit on March 08, 2013, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 07:20:31 PM
^Orcs Must Die 2! is definitely a time sink.
Do you really rate it? Does it have any long term value once you've fathomed it out? I've heard some good things about it and my daughter has been asking for it along with Game of Dwarves. I'd value your opinion.
You're asking the wrong man. You'll want to direct all inquiries to Longblade. According to him OMD2 is more addictive than heroin. I enjoyed it, but got bored pretty fast.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2013, 07:44:20 PM
Quote from: Boggit on March 08, 2013, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2012, 07:20:31 PM
^Orcs Must Die 2! is definitely a time sink.
Do you really rate it? Does it have any long term value once you've fathomed it out? I've heard some good things about it and my daughter has been asking for it along with Game of Dwarves. I'd value your opinion.
You're asking the wrong man. You'll want to direct all inquiries to Longblade. According to him OMD2 is more addictive than heroin. I enjoyed it, but got bored pretty fast.
Thanks. Perhaps LB will comment?
It looked good, but I did wonder if it faded fast after you'd worked it out. Thanks for confirming that. :)
THX for the head-up :) i will check it out 8)
We have been hard at work on Armored Brigade. The future commercial version will include dozens of improvements and new features not found in the still available freeware version. One recent addition highlighted in the attached video, is the inclusion of rocket artillery. The cluster-fired rockets makes for awe-inspiring visual effects - raining destruction, debris and panic.
Looks great. I played this years ago, and it was good then. Can't wait to see what you guys accomplish in the future. Maybe you can replace Wargame, seeing how its now becoming an eSport game.
Had a look, but it seems you have to generate your own scenarios. Not very interested in that
Quote from: Hofstadter on July 10, 2016, 08:16:34 PM
Had a look, but it seems you have to generate your own scenarios. Not very interested in that
The commercial version will include premade scenarios, and a dynamic, branching campaign system.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 10, 2016, 06:46:12 PM
Looks great. I played this years ago, and it was good then. Can't wait to see what you guys accomplish in the future. Maybe you can replace Wargame, seeing how its now becoming an eSport game.
AB remains at its core a wargame inspired by such classics as Steel Panthers and Close Combat. The database is built on research, with no concerns about balance/nerfing nonsense. The maps are created using real world data.
Armored Brigade has always featured dynamic lighting and visibility that change with the time of the day. The commercial version of Armored Brigade will also include dynamic weather. Wind, rain, thunder and lightning, are now heard and seen adding to the game's immersion.
We also did a video previewing the In-Game Database Editor that will be included in the commercial release. Simple to use, effective and powerful, the editor opens up the game's entire database allowing players to create or customize as they see fit.
Boy, that has come a ong way since I played it a few years ago. It sure looks like the potential successor to Steel Panthers. Just like to see its database broaden a little.
Quote from: RyanE on July 14, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
Boy, that has come a ong way since I played it a few years ago. It sure looks like the potential successor to Steel Panthers. Just like to see its database broaden a little.
The commercial version's database will cover the entire 1980's through Desert Storm, featuring the US, West Germany, the Soviet Union, the UK, Finland, and East Germany.
Another feature introduced for the upcoming commercial version is ready/stowed ammunition. A unit will maintain a realistic rate-of-fire as long as they use ready ammunition (ready-rack or autoloader in tanks for example) but once that ammo is used, they will slow down while replenishing.
That looks great. Amazing work!
Mike