Can you guys think of any good games that have scenarios covering the war between Cortez and the Aztec Empire in 1519-21? All I can really think of is the DLC from Total War Medieval II.
Thanks.
By the way...I do have the Mexico 1519 scenario for Wars Across the World. However, I'm looking for something a little more involved.
There's probably some good board games.
Here's at least one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6037/cortes-conquest-aztec-empire
^Thanks, but I'm really looking for something digital on the PC.
Surprised none of the Tiller titles seem to cove this.
Nothing. It's like the pike and shot era. Rarely covered by anything with a good name.
Age of Empires 2 had a campaign in a similar vein I think. But that's probably not what you are looking for and is old as the hills.
Same with Cossacks American Fightback. Old and probably not very good. Nothing wholesome anyways.
That'd be a really good Field of Glory II DLC.
Last summer I played one of the newer campaigns of AoEII DE that was excellent but covered the Incas, not the Aztecs. Pretty sure there is an Aztec campaign as well but I haven't played it.
Only one besides the MTW:II DLC that I can think of that's relatively recent would be Expeditions: Conquistador and that's more of an RPG with a tactical combat system.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 08, 2022, 10:14:26 PM
Only one besides the MTW:II DLC that I can think of that's relatively recent would be Expeditions: Conquistador and that's more of an RPG with a tactical combat system.
Expeditions Conquistador is outside the scope of what I think JH asked, and it has some fantasy elements.
But, I agree, it's a really really good game. Might be one of the most horrible shame moments I felt when I turned on my Native Allies for the slaughter on celebration night.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2022, 08:22:31 PM
Can you guys think of any good games that have scenarios covering the war between Cortez and the Aztec Empire in 1519-21? All I can really think of is the DLC from Total War Medieval II.
Thanks.
Compass Games has a wargame called The Conquistadors: The Spanish Conquest of the Americas – 1518-1548. There is a VASSAL module for it and the game rules are accessible online. It has solitaire rules and it looks like Cortes even has his very own counter. The rules look concise and straightforward, while the game seems like it is also fairly involved. I downloaded the module myself and the map looks very sharp and gorgeous. Arguably it is something digital on the computer with solo play. Hope this helps.
VASSAL module:
https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Conquistadors:_The_Spanish_Conquest_of_the_Americas_1518-1548
Rules:
https://compassgamesbucket.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/downloads/Conq-Rulebook-print.pdf
Groggy
EU4 maybe?
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Inca
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is as I suspected, a pretty lean field. I do have the Expeditions game, so maybe that will scratch the itch, but it is beyond what I was really looking and hoping for.
I agree, it would be a fantastic module for FOG II. In the meantime, Groggy's VASSAL suggestion might be the closest thing out there for what I'm interested in. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2022, 08:30:12 PM
By the way...I do have the Mexico 1519 scenario for Wars Across the World. However, I'm looking for something a little more involved.
That's not such a good one. I think knocking out the Aztecs/Mexica Empire would be a lot of fun if simulated well. For example, a decent Aztec emperor would
have a lot of good options. I think (as did many at the time and of course the whole Texcoco tradition ever after) Moctezuma II did a remarkably bad job of defending
the empire.
Plus, the Cortez/Malinche combo did an amazing job, but they might have dumped Alvarado before he got spooked. Probably the Tlascans plus Spanish artillery alone
could have done a better job than Alvarado.
Anyway, its a situation that had many, many possible moves available to both sides and it hasn't been covered very well in games.
For reading, I recommend starting with Thomas'
Conquest which covers most of the basics reasonably well.
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 08, 2022, 10:34:13 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 08, 2022, 10:14:26 PM
Only one besides the MTW:II DLC that I can think of that's relatively recent would be Expeditions: Conquistador and that's more of an RPG with a tactical combat system.
Expeditions Conquistador is outside the scope of what I think JH asked, and it has some fantasy elements.
But, I agree, it's a really really good game. Might be one of the most horrible shame moments I felt when I turned on my Native Allies for the slaughter on celebration night.
That happened a lot in reality, the mess at Cholula or the really big mess at Tenotitlan. In both cases it might have been the real basic
actual fundamental Native Allies, the Tlascans and in some cases maybe even the Texcocoans who contrived the slaughters. But remember
Cortez always had those coastal allies (the followers of the Fat Cacique for example) as engineers, artillerymen and spies.
I can only add that I think there is a Civ scenario for this at the strategic level, but like JH says it's lean pickings.
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Mesoamerica_(Civ4)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-fall-of-the-aztecs-scenario-cic.29404/
There is also a Civ5 mod you can download from the workshop...
https://blogs.dickinson.edu/edtech/2015/01/23/civ-5-mod-western-world-in-1492-historical-scenario/
Just a thought what about Imperialism 2? IIRC there was some sort of campaign along those lines?
https://www.gog.com/game/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration
Destraex' suggestion of EU4 is probably the best solution IMO.
SSG had a game from 1989 called the Gold of the Americas. But it was grand strategy, so not exactly what you are looking for. And the Aztecs are probably only a blip in the beginning of the game.
Still, I had fun with it...long ago.
It would probably only be available on abandonware sites now.