GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SlagDog on January 03, 2023, 01:58:31 PM

Title: GOG versus Steams Return Policy
Post by: SlagDog on January 03, 2023, 01:58:31 PM
This past week I just discovered GOGs amazing Game Return Policy. WOW! 30 day money back guarantee. That really beats Steam's 2 day or 2 hour guarantee. I find that 2 hours just isn't enough time to know a game to return it or not. I've been burned many times because I had 4 or 5 hours on a game and wanted to return it. It makes me really think about purchases some game through GOG instead of Steam because of the return policy. Is there something that I'm missing here? Is there some hidden cost with GOGs Return policy?
Title: Re: GOG versus Steams Return Policy
Post by: Father Ted on January 03, 2023, 02:07:01 PM
To be fair to Steam I think their policy is more about if a game doesn't run properly or is really not what you thought it would be.  Two hours is plenty for that, I reckon.  Much more time than that would be taking the piss a bit I think.  There are some weird anomalies, but it's a bit like reading half a book and expecting to get your money back.
Title: Re: GOG versus Steams Return Policy
Post by: Anguille on January 03, 2023, 03:27:48 PM
Quote from: SlagDog on January 03, 2023, 01:58:31 PM
Is there something that I'm missing here? Is there some hidden cost with GOGs Return policy?
Don't believe so. GOG is extremely customer friendly.
Title: Re: GOG versus Steams Return Policy
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2023, 03:30:23 PM
Apparently, this is a "new" refund policy and GOG actively monitors accounts to ensure that the policy is not being abused to the detriment of the developer. They reserve the right to deny refund requests, which right appears to be entirely subject to GOG's sole purview.

Whether one considers this open-ended subjective policy favorable to the bright-line rule imposed by Steam I suppose will vary.
Title: Re: GOG versus Steams Return Policy
Post by: Rayfer on January 04, 2023, 07:37:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2023, 03:30:23 PM
Apparently, this is a "new" refund policy and GOG actively monitors accounts to ensure that the policy is not being abused to the detriment of the developer. They reserve the right to deny refund requests, which right appears to be entirely subject to GOG's sole purview.

Whether one considers this open-ended subjective policy favorable to the bright-line rule imposed by Steam I suppose will vary.

JH's comments add a layer of clarification to what seemed to be a 'too good to be true' policy that would almost certainly encourage abuse.