GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on February 18, 2023, 05:22:10 AM

Title: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 18, 2023, 05:22:10 AM
Saw they did a remake of Pharaoh, including its expansion for about $20.  Never played it myself but have seen people say it was one of the top builder games from the past.  Although not typically good at these games, might give it a try, will be keeping my eye on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351080/Pharaoh_A_New_Era/
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2023, 12:39:07 PM
Never played the original either as I am just not that interested in truly ancient Egypt (4000 BC, etc.) but this remake looks particularly good. I did see there are more modern scenarios that include Cleopatra...
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: Philippe on February 18, 2023, 02:05:54 PM
I have a great deal of difficulty wrapping my head around the artificial city-building conventions that this series uses, especially after playing Children of the Nile (which doesn't use them). 
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: al_infierno on February 18, 2023, 04:00:19 PM
I remember always seeing these titles on the shelves of Fry's back in the day, but never picked any of them up.
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: JasonPratt on February 19, 2023, 03:18:45 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2023, 12:39:07 PMNever played the original either as I am just not that interested in truly ancient Egypt (4000 BC, etc.) but this remake looks particularly good. I did see there are more modern scenarios that include Cleopatra...

I'm a big fan of Pre-Dynastic Egypt and it's sequel (partial intraquel) Egypt: Old Kingdom, but it's certainly more of a turn-based puzzle game system with some randomization than an rts. I'd be interested in something like a Total War version of super-early Egypt of the same period.
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: Victor on February 23, 2023, 07:08:26 PM
I played the original and it included a Cleopatra expansion/DLC that added invading Romans! Those city builders in the 90's were something else! But this remake is horribly broken.

They removed the military part of the game (wasn't great in the original, but...) and where before the wild predators like hippos and lions would be easily slaughtered by your soldiers, now they freely roam your city's streets, eating your workers. Oops. 
Title: Re: Pharaoh: A New Era
Post by: Gusington on February 23, 2023, 09:02:26 PM
^Hahaha