GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on February 28, 2023, 02:47:01 PM

Title: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2023, 02:47:01 PM
Anyone participating in this? It's been popping up in my feeds the last few days.

https://www.steamclaims.com/youtube?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6fafBhC1ARIsAIJjL8niPrz3BcfQh5fgiNoT68bM2vQ4jStrp30J6PqZUcheupPAGn9JpD8aAgbMEALw_wcB
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: al_infierno on February 28, 2023, 03:28:09 PM
I signed up back in November and haven't heard anything about it since.

For some context, I also signed up for a local Uber Eats claim in November of 2020.  In September, 2022, I got a notification that Uber offered a settlement.  Then two or three weeks ago I got $500 deposited in my bank account.   :Party:

So yeah, I'd say it's worth the couple seconds to sign up, but don't hold your breath on it.  I suspect Valve will put a lot of money into fighting this if they think they can win it.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2023, 03:35:47 PM
^Heh and the flip side is 'Valve is counting on gamers to do nothing and thus pocket your money'  :Party:
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Geezer on February 28, 2023, 04:29:32 PM
I have bought almost every game either discounted at launch or on sale.  So it doesn't feel like I've been cheated.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2023, 04:55:05 PM
^Me too but I filed a claim anyway.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: al_infierno on February 28, 2023, 05:12:31 PM
Yeah for me it's not about feeling cheated or whatever.  It's about "Hey, other people are getting free money?  I'll take some, too!"
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 05:13:27 PM
https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26641.0 (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26641.0)
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PM
What kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: al_infierno on February 28, 2023, 05:44:07 PM
Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

First name, last name, email address, and phone number.  I never got any calls and only got a few emails with pertinent updates.  At some point you have to provide the routing details for the bank transfer (or however you want to receive the money)
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

You have to sign agreements with the law firm. I refused to do that. Read the info. I posted in the linked thread. This is not a traditional class action. These are all individual claims.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: SirAndrewD on February 28, 2023, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

You have to sign agreements with the law firm. I refused to do that. Read the info. I posted in the linked thread. This is not a traditional class action. These are all individual claims.

Yeah...this is weird.  It's not anything like the Hyundai class I was part of that gave me a significant payout.  I took a look at the agreements and felt pretty uncomfortable.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 07:04:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

You have to sign agreements with the law firm. I refused to do that. Read the info. I posted in the linked thread. This is not a traditional class action. These are all individual claims.

Thx JH.  I will delve more into the info.  Not sure I want to sign stuff just for an internet class action... 
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: al_infierno on February 28, 2023, 07:06:54 PM
The only thing about the agreement that gave me pause was potentially having to attend a videoconference and testify under oath.  I didn't get asked to sign any funding agreement except the usual "If we win you'll get a payout, if not you pay nothing" that is typical to class actions.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Sigwolf on March 01, 2023, 07:21:27 PM
Call me crazy... I don't see anything in any of this to indicate Steam has caused me any damage.  "Oooh, free money!" is not incentive to me to intentionally damage a system that has treated me fairly.  This kind of thing reinforces many things wrong with our legal system.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: al_infierno on March 01, 2023, 07:53:54 PM
I'm sure Valve will recover financially.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Pete Dero on March 02, 2023, 12:28:25 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on March 01, 2023, 07:21:27 PMCall me crazy... I don't see anything in any of this to indicate Steam has caused me any damage. 

I am old enough to remember the time you had to search the internet for game patches on websites that generated pop up ads by the dozens.

Then you could look for a no-cd patch on even shadier websites, so you didn't have to put the cd in the drive every time you wanted to play a game.

For these reasons I will leave Steam alone  :cool: .
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Father Ted on March 02, 2023, 01:06:40 PM
Yeah, I think Steam is a great system for consumers.  If anyone has a reason to go up against them it's the game devs who get their products repeatedly sold at massive discounts.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2023, 01:18:46 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on March 02, 2023, 01:06:40 PMYeah, I think Steam is a great system for consumers.  If anyone has a reason to go up against them it's the game devs who get their products repeatedly sold at massive discounts.

That is exactly the point of the lawsuit. Steam is engaging in unfair practices by unfairly forcing developers to undersell at prices that can't be competed with by other retailers. Again, I explain some of this in the thread I have linked above. 
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2023, 02:14:46 PM
Here is what I wrote in the linked thread:

QuoteIf I understand the claim properly, the fact that you've paid less for games on steam is precisely the problem. Steam, according to the theory of the case, forces developers into contracts that requires the developer to permit steam to list the game at a lower price on its platform, while forcing the developer to sell everywhere else at higher prices. This is "anticompetitive" conduct that is purportedly unfair and unlawful in that Steam uses its market dominance to eliminate price competition.

QuoteI suppose the argument would be that despite offering a lower price for a game on Steam, the purchaser may have been harmed since the prices elsewhere were artificially made higher due to the contracts Steam imposed on developers. Thus, had the market been open and not unfairly influenced by Steam, the customer may have been able to pay even less.  This kind of unfair competition could subject Steam to "treble damages", as well. So, if some fact finder was to determine that the actual damage to a plaintiff was $100, and that due to the violation of the law, treble damages were appropriate, the actual award would be $300.

I think establishing liability will be the easy part, while establishing damages may be much more speculative.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: SirAndrewD on March 02, 2023, 02:30:46 PM
I agree with JH, I don't think the lawsuit is illegitimate.

I love Steam now, but to be fair, as much as I agree with Pete's sentiment about the horror show of dispersed updates and content, Steam had its fair share of early teething problems and it was not at all a popular choice when Half Life 2 was locked to the platform, and then CA and Total War followed suit.

I remember a lot of frustration about it on my end, and from others, and also to be fair, I was using other online and even physical retailers and sometimes deliberately not buying from Steam because I was concerned that they would try to create a monopoly on distribution.

I was, like a lot of others, forced onto the Steam platform first by games requiring it exclusively, then by the deep discounts that sites that I frequented like Gamers Gate at the time couldn't match. 

Heck, at this point the only use I have for my, very large, Gamers Gate library has been to poach off the Steam Codes.  Valve completely undercut them and lost me as a very long term and happy customer with their system, and they lost me because I didn't feel I had much of a choice. 

I doubt I'm the only experience like that.

So yes, I do love Steam now after it has grown as a platform, but I can remember when I didn't always feel that way and Valve's business practices were largely what forced me to change my mind initially.

So, I can see the point even though I didn't quite initially. 
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: greengiant on March 09, 2023, 12:25:35 AM
I'm a little confused over all this. After reading the intitial thread and now this one, it primarily seems to be a thing for devs when Valve slaps discounts on their products to the point they may as well be handing it out for free. As a consumer who has admittedly taken advantage of sales for probably 80% or more of the games in my Steam library I've A: got nothing to be angry about at Valve and B: don't see how a consumer who has taken advantage of said discounts has any business being part of this battle. In fact, I don't hold it against them either if they've ever  hiked prices up since at the end of the day it's my choice to purchase or not. Folks here jumping on the bang wagon despite acknowledging all this are coming across as rather slimy in character.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: DesertFox on March 09, 2023, 12:48:48 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 02, 2023, 12:28:25 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on March 01, 2023, 07:21:27 PMCall me crazy... I don't see anything in any of this to indicate Steam has caused me any damage. 

I am old enough to remember the time you had to search the internet for game patches on websites that generated pop up ads by the dozens.

Then you could look for a no-cd patch on even shadier websites, so you didn't have to put the cd in the drive every time you wanted to play a game.

For these reasons I will leave Steam alone  :cool: .


Hit the nail on the head with this one, brother..
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2023, 06:20:05 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 02, 2023, 12:28:25 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on March 01, 2023, 07:21:27 PMCall me crazy... I don't see anything in any of this to indicate Steam has caused me any damage. 

I am old enough to remember the time you had to search the internet for game patches on websites that generated pop up ads by the dozens.

Then you could look for a no-cd patch on even shadier websites, so you didn't have to put the cd in the drive every time you wanted to play a game.

For these reasons I will leave Steam alone  :cool: .


I'm old enough to remember the time before there was an internet and developers released games that were more or less bug free and complete. When and if there were patches, you got them on CD-Roms that came with a magazine that you had to buy in a store.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Gusington on March 09, 2023, 07:42:55 AM
I assure you I am the least slimy type you have ever not met.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Pete Dero on March 09, 2023, 08:12:17 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2023, 06:20:05 AMI'm old enough to remember the time before there was an internet and developers released games that were more or less bug free and complete. When and if there were patches, you got them on CD-Roms that came with a magazine that you had to buy in a store.

And modify the config.sys and autoexec.bat to have a few bytes more to run those games.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: greengiant on March 09, 2023, 08:44:37 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 09, 2023, 08:12:17 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2023, 06:20:05 AMI'm old enough to remember the time before there was an internet and developers released games that were more or less bug free and complete. When and if there were patches, you got them on CD-Roms that came with a magazine that you had to buy in a store.

And modify the config.sys and autoexec.bat to have a few bytes more to run those games.

Oh yeah, the bane of getting Dos Extended Memory to work properly. Or dropping your floppy disk on a carpeted floor by mistake and instantly destroying all data as a result. I'm certainly happy to not have those issues anymore. On the flip-side, half-baked game releases are so common these days that I do certainly miss knowing that everything I will ever need for a game to run was in the box when I purchased it.
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Pete Dero on March 09, 2023, 09:06:14 AM
^ Don't forget the Expanded Memory ...
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Sir Slash on March 09, 2023, 10:38:29 AM
One of my greatest tech accomplishments was to download and install mods for CM 1 back in the day. I was SO proud. Probably couldn't even come close to doing it today. Steam has spoiled me and I love it.  :island[1]:
Title: Re: Steam Lawsuits
Post by: Father Ted on March 09, 2023, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 09, 2023, 08:12:17 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2023, 06:20:05 AMI'm old enough to remember the time before there was an internet and developers released games that were more or less bug free and complete. When and if there were patches, you got them on CD-Roms that came with a magazine that you had to buy in a store.

And modify the config.sys and autoexec.bat to have a few bytes more to run those games.

I spent more time doing this for Elite 2 than I did playing the game