Something kind of different...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/957950/1971_Indian_Naval_Front/?fbclid=IwAR2Ex0xG-hKUZzU5AiK6yJRwtpNd_GAr1sxevDs3f2Ug2SqaXPvEknvl63I
Definitely intriguing, but no way it is good. Anyone going to try the demo?
Yep, interesting topic but I doubt it's a hit....
If it's as historically accurate as RRR I'm in.
I'm ashamed that I did not know that India and Pakistan fought a war in 1971 :headscratch:
Quote from: Gusington on April 08, 2023, 09:06:16 PMI'm ashamed that I did not know that India and Pakistan fought a war in 1971 :headscratch:
Ugly little conflict with a whole lot of naval action if I remember.
India made strong use of her aircraft carrier and wrecked a very hard fighting but inferior Pakistani navy.
I, also, can't remember a ton else as it wasn't at all my area of study. Still, I'd think this would be an interesting CMO scenario.
A whole new game out of nowhere? Yeah, that worries me too.
Demo was only for a limited time so no longer available. Game is only $13-$14 but reading through the forums sounds like actually controlling the assets are difficult and not that great at the moment.
For Gus, they published the background on the store page which is the following.
Story
Geographically, Pakistan as a nation was divided into West and East Pakistan (today known as Bangladesh). Since its inception, only West Pakistan controlled the country's military, policy making, and economy. East Pakistan was merely treated as its colony. This created a rift that resulted in conflict of interests between leaders of both regions. 1970 was the year of political tensions between East and West Pakistan. Later that year, Awami League of East Pakistan led by Sheikh Mujibur Rahman won the first democratic election of Pakistan. Despite gaining majority the League was not invited by the ruling military junta to form a government. The atrocities by the Armed Forces from West Pakistan against the people of East Pakistan kept increasing which led to civil unrest and genocide in the East.
By end of April 1971, millions of refugees started coming into India from East Pakistan causing diplomatic tensions in the Indian subcontinent. India decided to act on it and determined to liberate East Pakistan (Bangladesh) as an independent country. On 3rd of December 1971, Pakistan Air Force carried out pre-emptive attacks on northern Indian air bases. The war officially started on all fronts.
The Indian Navy carried out missions and created a Naval Blockade in the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal. The famed aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy INS Vikrant with her task force and air squadrons conducted lot of Maritime Interdiction Operations and sorties to completely paralyze the enemy in the East. The Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy targeted the Naval and commercial HQ of Pakistan in Karachi and conducted Operation Trident and Python. Many other events took place in both Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal.
On 16th December 1971, Pakistan eventually signed the Instrument of Surrender and Bangladesh was declared an independent country. The scale of naval operations during 1971 war is considered to be the biggest since WWII.
1971: Indian Naval Front will enable you to experience pretty much all the Indian Navy operations executed during the 1971 War.
I think it looks interesting and it comes at a fair price.
Thanks D and Grim...now I know where Bangladesh comes from.
This series of wars was quite brutal.
For one phase that lasted less than two weeks casualties are high: about 37,000 dead [combatants] total. And Pakistan suffered almost 100,000 POWs??
An additional 3 million (!!!) Bangladeshi civilians were killed by the Pakistani military in the 1971 genocide as well.
A new book has also been released on the war:
https://amzn.to/3mhfzYp
Kind of reminds me of Battlestations: Pacific War. I think it would have been nice to let the player play both sides.
I was thinking the same thing, about Battlestations: a game I've owned forever (plus its predecessor Midway) and have occasionally tried to get into, but the controls always fail me eventually. :buck2:
The game is not very well defined. The first mission is next to impossible due to control issues on a single jet that you are supposed to use take out 5 Patrol boats. So, if you're a mouse and keyboard warrior ace you may accomplish your task. Lining your jet up on those itsy-bitsy little boats with a great big green bar covering your target may prove to be daunting. Good news there is no stall speed on your airplane! :doh:
Quote from: Wburn on April 10, 2023, 03:30:09 PMThe game is not very well defined. The first mission is next to impossible due to control issues on a single jet that you are supposed to use take out 5 Patrol boats. So, if you're a mouse and keyboard warrior ace you may accomplish your task. Lining your jet up on those itsy-bitsy little boats with a great big green bar covering your target may prove to be daunting. Good news there is no stall speed on your airplane! :doh:
That is not encouraging, but the info is appreciated.