GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:09:57 AM

Title: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:09:57 AM
This looks interesting, out in November.  Combo of air war strategy/management and ability to control aircraft if you wish.  Although not sure how well the plane flying will go, interested just for the strategy side of things.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320040/Skies_above_the_Great_War/
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 07:51:11 AM
'Hire manufacturers such as Fokker or Sopwith to produce airplanes' - that got my attention. Instantly wishlisted, cautiously optimistic. Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: steve58 on July 05, 2023, 07:57:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up Grim.

p.s. in case y'all didn't notice, thee is a demo!
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: JasonPratt on July 05, 2023, 07:59:01 AM
Step 1: hire Krupp to produce aircraft.
Step 2: produce flying cannons.
Step 3: win the war.
Step 4: profit?


(I vaguely recall that a Russian heavy bomber back then did try out a fairly punchy cannon for ariel mobility.)
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 08:07:05 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2023, 07:59:01 AMStep 1: hire Krupp to produce aircraft.
Step 2: produce flying cannons.
Step 3: win the war.
Step 4: profit?


How about this:
1) take a design from 1912, and fly it until 1919, despite its manifest shortcomings being widely known by 1915
2) Don't give your aircrew parachutes once they become available

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_B.E.2
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 08:11:57 AM
There is a kick starter for this as well.  Person is solo developer and so far hasn't developed much related to strategy and management portion.  So although I want to be optimistic, can't see all that being put in by November.  With that said certainly will be monitoring along the way.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 08:52:04 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 08:11:57 AMThere is a kick starter for this as well.  Person is solo developer and so far hasn't developed much related to strategy and management portion.  So although I want to be optimistic, can't see all that being put in by November.  With that said certainly will be monitoring along the way.

+1 crossing fingers on this one.

Great idea.

Have seen a few other titles by solo devs just never happen...

Then again, some really good stuff has come from solo devs...
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 09:05:07 AM
There is a demo, but for me here in the eastern US the link to the demo goes to the same product page - I don't see a download button anywhere.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Pete Dero on July 05, 2023, 09:32:52 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 09:05:07 AMThere is a demo, but for me here in the eastern US the link to the demo goes to the same product page - I don't see a download button anywhere.

For me there is a button in the right column (almost next to the button for wish listing) on the main product page.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 09:49:55 AM
^Nothing for me in that spot. Must be available only in certain locations around the world right now.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on July 05, 2023, 11:32:44 AM
This looks really good!  Wishlisted  :cool:
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Sir Slash on July 05, 2023, 12:03:13 PM
That looks deliciously different and intriguing. Waiting to hear whether Gus' loin moisten or just get a little damp.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 01:11:35 PM
overflowing
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on July 05, 2023, 01:22:39 PM
Spent a couple of minutes with the demo and started up the campaign portion.  I like what I see.  Even got to try out flying a plane in combat.  Seems to be somewhat arcade like but for what this game is it's fun. 

Manufacturing is not enabled for the demo but pilot training is.  Yes pilot training is a thing. 
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: matt3916 on July 05, 2023, 03:46:49 PM
Might want to try that demo again.  I'm US, Central Time, and just downloaded it.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 04:10:38 PM
Same here.  I'll try to start it up tonight
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 04:31:37 PM
Finally found the demo  :Nerd:
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PM
Did a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PMDid a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 

There was an operational WWI game about 20 years ago. It was by an obscure publisher who also did sports management games. It was 2D and seemed half-hearted...so I never got it. Anyway, I can't remember the title or publisher now, and a search did not yield anything.

But there certainly have been some very good physical board games touching on the subject.

A few of my favorites:

"Wings for the Baron" by Victory Point Games (OOP, good luck finding a decently  priced copy).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition)

"Bloody April: Air War Over Arras, France" by GMT (uses a variant of the air operational system seen in Lee Brimmicombe-Wood's "Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi") In addition to the "Bloody April Campaign" (April 1917), the game has its "Eagle of Lille" expansion that covers the "Fokker Scourge" (mid 1915 to early 1916).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france)
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:47:22 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PMDid a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 

There was an operational WWI game about 20 years ago. It was by an obscure publisher who also did sports management games. It was 2D and seemed half-hearted...so I never got it. Anyway, I can't remember the title or publisher now, and a search did not yield anything.

But there certainly have been some very good physical board games touching on the subject.

A few of my favorites:

"Wings for the Baron" by Victory Point Games (OOP, good luck finding a decently  priced copy).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition)

"Bloody April: Air War Over Arras, France" by GMT (uses a variant of the air operational system seen in Lee Brimmicombe-Wood's "Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi") In addition to the "Bloody April Campaign" (April 1917), the game has its "Eagle of Lille" expansion that covers the "Fokker Scourge" (mid 1915 to early 1916).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france)


Guessing you might mean wings over France by Richard Hannah who makes a ton of sports pc games from board games.  Not compatible with modern operating systems so longer an option for most.

https://www.roogames.co.uk/wings.htm
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: em2nought on July 05, 2023, 11:07:57 PM
I think there was someone working on a PC version of Bloody April several years ago which I guess became vaporware.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:47:22 PMGuessing you might mean wings over France by Richard Hannah who makes a ton of sports pc games from board games.  Not compatible with modern operating systems so longer an option for most.

https://www.roogames.co.uk/wings.htm

Bingo!!!
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: em2nought on July 05, 2023, 11:07:57 PMI think there was someone working on a PC version of Bloody April several years ago which I guess became vaporware.

Yes and Yes.  The Lordz were working on it...then seemed to have dropped it. Found this tidbit on the Matrix forums.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=332964 (https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=332964)
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2023, 06:16:44 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PMDid a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 

I backed it as well, although not sure it's going to make the goal...guess we will see
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: JasonPratt on July 06, 2023, 08:09:30 AM
According to a thread on BGG last month, Wings for the Baron has been picked up by GMT for redesign and republishing!

Can't find mention of it at GMT's site tho, so treat as unsubstantiated rumor for now I guess.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 06, 2023, 08:42:09 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 06, 2023, 08:09:30 AMAccording to a thread on BGG last month, Wings for the Baron has been picked up by GMT for redesign and republishing!

Can't find mention of it at GMT's site tho, so treat as unsubstantiated rumor for now I guess.

Not to derail the thread, but this is excellent news. There is a complete TTS module for "Wings for the Baron," and I have been studying it as a possible game for our group.

Sorry all...back to "Skies Above the Great War."
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2023, 08:52:52 AM
Was posted here about gmt picking up....although sounds like a ways to go as just not a reprint but sounds the update as well and then person has multiple jobs to complete before it

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3000008/article/42367121#42367121
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 21, 2023, 05:27:07 AM
With only 4 days to go on Kickstarter, still short $2,500 for it to be successful, has only collected $2,000 to date so highly likely the campaign won't meet it's goal.  However, the developer did provide an update that he plans to finish the game regardless so hopefully it does keep moving forward regardless and still will contain the content that was planned.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2023, 04:19:56 AM
As expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2023, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2023, 04:19:56 AMAs expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.

Crossing my fingers on a good Early Access release. Would love to see a game do this subject matter well.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on July 27, 2023, 02:33:23 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2023, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2023, 04:19:56 AMAs expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.

Crossing my fingers on a good Early Access release. Would love to see a game do this subject matter well.

+1

What I've seen in the demo, although simplistic, has a lot of potential to be a great game. 
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PM
Early access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 25, 2023, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PMEarly access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

Hmm, the Steam page does not have a demo download link for me. I can pick the demo off the store search, but it just takes me to the main page...where I can't download the demo... sigh....  Maybe a regional thing, or just error...  guess I'll wait....
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 25, 2023, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 25, 2023, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PMEarly access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

Hmm, the Steam page does not have a demo download link for me. I can pick the demo off the store search, but it just takes me to the main page...where I can't download the demo... sigh....  Maybe a regional thing, or just error...  guess I'll wait....

It's there for me and I downloaded...haven't played yet though...

(https://i.imgur.com/UMq0tA2.png)
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 26, 2023, 12:13:18 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 25, 2023, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 25, 2023, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PMEarly access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

Hmm, the Steam page does not have a demo download link for me. I can pick the demo off the store search, but it just takes me to the main page...where I can't download the demo... sigh....  Maybe a regional thing, or just error...  guess I'll wait....

It's there for me and I downloaded...haven't played yet though...

(https://i.imgur.com/UMq0tA2.png)

Got it thanks. Was looking for a green button, so missed the subdued blue one.

Anyway, played around with it. Game is still somewhat rough, but I like where it is going.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 16, 2024, 02:36:20 PM
I couldn't resist, and purchased the game a few days ago.

The game is playable. It has some UI issues and obvious bugs, but I haven't seen anything that can't be played through.

The dev's interest in getting the history right, is pretty clear from the beginning of the game. Although admittedly he does take some reasonable artistic license for sake of gameplay. In computer game land, I can't think of any other game that covers the operational / tactical side of WWI air campaigns. The closest thing I can think of is a board game: GMT's Bloody April. 

Still the game is a little rougher than I am usually used to. That is OK for me, since I love the subject and scope, the price is right, and I think the issues should be fixed soon. If like me, you love the subject matter, I'd say this is a great project to support. And the dev is working on fixing things.

Still, I hope the dev doesn't go into hibernation like some other small devs...looking at you Silent Studios over "Bomber Command" (Bomber Command was released in April, and updates stopped after six weeks or so).

Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on January 16, 2024, 09:37:27 PM
You're lucky Arizona.  I've played about 4 hours so far and it's nothing but bug after bug.  Disappearing aircraft and pilots from my airfields, planes that ignore orders to fly home and crash because of no gas, recon missions completing but never registering by the game as complete thus no credit given.  The list goes on.

I'm playing exclusively the Entente early campaign with no AI management as I like to micro everything. 

Maybe I should start a German campaign and see if all these bugs are present as the German player. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like this game and really want it to be good because it is good.  Just don't need all these bugs but I'm happy to help the developer flesh them out.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 17, 2024, 09:15:39 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 16, 2024, 09:37:27 PMYou're lucky Arizona.  I've played about 4 hours so far and it's nothing but bug after bug.  Disappearing aircraft and pilots from my airfields, planes that ignore orders to fly home and crash because of no gas, recon missions completing but never registering by the game as complete thus no credit given.  The list goes on.

I'm playing exclusively the Entente early campaign with no AI management as I like to micro everything. 

Maybe I should start a German campaign and see if all these bugs are present as the German player. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like this game and really want it to be good because it is good.  Just don't need all these bugs but I'm happy to help the developer flesh them out.


+1

I am seeing the same sorts of bugs, and find them annoying as well.

Maybe you have tried this, but when my pilots disappear from the roster, if I close the roster, then reopen it, they come back.

Lack of throttle is my biggest issue...but admittedly, early aircraft didn't have one. For example, I don't believe the Fokker Eindeckers had a throttle...just on and off.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Geezer on January 17, 2024, 09:52:46 AM
Thanks for taking one for the team guys.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on January 17, 2024, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 17, 2024, 09:15:39 AMLack of throttle is my biggest issue...but admittedly, early aircraft didn't have one. For example, I don't believe the Fokker Eindeckers had a throttle...just on and off.

If you use mouse wheel you can indeed throttle up and down.  Works on even early aircraft like the Airco pusher for the Entente.

I'll try closing and re-opening pilot roster screen like you mentioned.  Thanks for the tip.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on January 21, 2024, 09:42:26 PM
I hope I'm proven wrong but I think those of us who bought this game just got the shaft without lube.
Developer is unresponsive and a scan of the past 24 hours of activity show no results. 

If a patch that actually fixes this game comes out this week I'll retract and apologize.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Old TImer on January 23, 2024, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 21, 2024, 09:42:26 PMI hope I'm proven wrong but I think those of us who bought this game just got the shaft without lube.
Developer is unresponsive and a scan of the past 24 hours of activity show no results. 

If a patch that actually fixes this game comes out this week I'll retract and apologize.

Totally agree.  As it is right now this is a piece of junk.
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: W8taminute on January 23, 2024, 04:34:16 PM

All kidding aside though.  I did notice yesterday the developer responded to a couple of threads on the Steam discussions.  Hopefully it's not a ruse but a glimmer of hope. 
Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: Redwolf on July 24, 2024, 09:47:08 AM
Released today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320040/Skies_above_the_Great_War/

Title: Re: Skies above the great war
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 24, 2024, 07:22:59 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on July 24, 2024, 09:47:08 AMReleased today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320040/Skies_above_the_Great_War/



I have seen a few patches over the last months, but haven't gone back to the game yet.  Will try it again, no that it is "released."